Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Jesus dude 250hp on a 216?
I'm going to wait and see how it goes with Torrn but according to my math, which usually sucks a 250 isn't that big of a stretch with what the boat was originally rated for which is 260 hp 2 stoke max. An 80's Yamaha 225 weighed around 390ish pounds. A 250 V MAX weighs 555 dry. Add a 30" floatation bracket and you gain 2-300 pounds of positive buoyancy. The weak ass I4 150 that everyone is so fond of is 487 pounds dry and the boats handle fine. We're literally talking about a 68 pound difference between a 150 and a 250.

You don't always have to use all of your available power but you can't make it when you need it.

Reactions: Torrn

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
This topic about power on these Cabo threads is interesting. Everyone has a different take on it.

Setting the weight issue aside - You can put a 250 on there sure, if you are willing to pay an extra $10k initially and then get crappy mileage for 2000+ hours.

No comprende

My 175 2-stroke absolutely hauls ass I can't imagine running these boats with anything more it's totally unnecessary IMO

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
This topic about power on these Cabo threads is interesting. Everyone has a different take on it.

Setting the weight issue aside - You can put a 250 on there sure, if you are willing to pay an extra $10k initially and then get crappy mileage for 2000+ hours.

No comprende

My 175 2-stroke absolutely hauls ass I can't imagine running these boats with anything more it's totally unnecessary IMO
Well I'm certain of one thing and that is that I'm not putting a 2 stroke on a brand new boat. Florida is the land of cheap and plentiful outboards. Gas is $2 a gallon here and at cruise the difference in GPH between a 150 and a 200 or even 250 is negligible. 200 or 250 gives you more prop options and 10mph can mean getting out of the way of a storm or being stuck riding it out. East Coast is a different animal weather wise, especially in the summer months.

Reactions: Fishbones

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
110 gallons of awesome.
AA69D7BB-8BB7-4FD4-B296-2EC61F4C9620.jpeg

Reactions: One_Leg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Almost forgot, I also picked up this 4X8 sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic today for $30 off of FB Marketplace. Did a rough outline of the original windshield and it's plenty. Shouldn't be too hard to put a couple of bends in some plastic right??? The dudes on here who made a run of them have one left and want $500 plus shipping for it and it has to go freight. I think I'll either try my hand at this or bring it to a local bender and have him do it but either way, new windshield is the last piece of the original gear to replace.
IMG_5339.jpg

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
I made one for my sons center console, made a mold and used a heat gun. I would make the bends first then cut it to shape, do not use a regular drill bit to make holes. Use either a glass bit or a pointed pilot bit ( that’s what I used). Use a torch to smooth the cut edges..

0419E917-2A34-451B-AF17-5ACCE03B2022.png

117C3456-B15D-4D03-AABF-FA70BD067318.png

3BD2B82E-4602-4659-85EC-4D670FB1BBD5.png

CD5D9183-9BA9-412C-9699-D7BAF2233B6F.png

BDDD3888-FCCA-4EC5-9BA3-879E327CE520.png

Reactions: ripped

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I made one for my sons center console, made a mold and used a heat gun. I would make the bends first then cut it to shape, do not use a regular drill bit to make holes. Use either a glass bit or a pointed pilot bit ( that’s what I used).
I'm really sketchy about using a heat gun. Super ADD and have a tendency to pause with paint and heat at all the wrong times in all the wrong places. I'm waiting to hear back from a local plastics guy and if it isn't terrible I'd rather let a pro do it. Glass I can always grind off and do again if I mess up, this is one and done.

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
Costa Mesa
Name
Dan Salazar
Boat
Rum Runner
I'm really sketchy about using a heat gun. Super ADD and have a tendency to pause with paint and heat at all the wrong times in all the wrong places. I'm waiting to hear back from a local plastics guy and if it isn't terrible I'd rather let a pro do it. Glass I can always grind off and do again if I mess up, this is one and done.
Your skill set and work quality are amazing

Reactions: dweston

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Your skill set and work quality are amazing
Man I had no idea I was capable of doing any of this stuff. Have a mechanical background and some carpentry skills but always ran away from finish work. Just pushed myself to learn and be patient and chalk up mistakes as experience. Maybe I've finally hit the right age to take on a project like this. Either way it's been fun and a hell of a learning experience. I guess we'll all see how the finished project turns out. I am blessed to have a wife who fully supports this madness and the time to put into it.

Reactions: ymkv

Torrn

216 Cuddycon So. Cal
Mar 9, 2007
SB
Name
BC
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddycon

No comprende

I've got a lot more weight on my Cabo than yours. I often fish the Channel Islands, as I did on my 16' Radon. I know this channel enough to say more HP is better. I made this decision for a 250 carefully. I don't thinks it's a waste of $10,000 and I don't think I'll be getting shitty gas milage for 2,000 hrs.
We'll see, I'll be launching soon. I'll give full report on engine performance then.

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Ugh sanding. Sanding and fairing and more sanding. I need to get some high build primer to see how much it hides and whether or not I'm being too particular about my finishes. Because sanding and fairing.

The good news is that I'm up at the bow. Got the anchor locker all cleaned up, ground out the dings and filled them, and will be coating it in this white bedliner. Anchor lockers take a beating from anchors it seems so I figure an added layer of protection wouldn't hurt considering I'm painting rather than gel coating. I even got the drain thru hull out which was a bitch even with the access hole I put in there months ago. There will be no removing the anchor eye. Ever. It will be the one and only piece of hardware left to be taped up prior to painting.

IMG_5392.jpg

718MsMkYhRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back to the bow. Removed all the stainless and the lights today. Bow cleats were a total pain in the dick. Screws with nuts on them. And I found some rot. The coring under the main bow cleat was all but dust so I ground it out and replaced it. No big deal.

Also found that the gelcoat under the crappy anchor guide was crazed all to hell so I ground that out as well and laid a few layers of 1708 down to level it and cover the 9 holes that were underneath it. No silicone either. All that's left up front is to sand down the non-skid, sand and fair the bow and touch up a few dings here and there. I thought about fabricating a bow pulpit but that would really make this a 226 and I think a new and better anchor guide will be fine. But I may still do it the hard way and build a pulpit. Notice the bend in that stainless guide.

IMG_5393.jpg
IMG_5395.jpg

Last thing I got done was to put a couple of coats of epoxy on the wood transom core. I've been putting off that job as it's easier to get in and out at the stern without the extra height of the transom to step over constantly. I'd prefer to wait until I have the topside completely faired and sanded ready for primer which may or may not be soon. Can't wait to cover up all the splodges and have a uniform color up there again.

IMG_5394.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Torrn and Fishbones

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Someone added the plate for the bow roller.

Reactions: Errin

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
More work today. Sanded first then faired. Then sanded some more. Then I went and pulled all the carpet out of the cuddy. I'd planned on replacing it but kept hemming and hawing thinking I could get away with steam cleaning it and finally went with my go to decision maker which is destruction.

No turning back now but I'm really glad I did it. I'll be able to sand off all the old adhesive, seal everything up with a fresh coat of epoxy, and epoxy in some wood and aluminum plate where the t-top will be mounted.

Fun fact... The decking around the cuddy isn't cored. I always felt it was a bit springy and was worried about rot underneath it till I pulled the carpet and saw that it's just a 1/4 inch or so of glass. So I'll probably be getting some 1/2 inch foam and coring it just because I can. I don't want anyone else including a prospective buyer thinking the same thing I did. Now to pick a new color of carpet.

IMG_5400.jpg
Unknown.jpg

Last edited:

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Sunday funday!!! Ever since I decided to enclose the transom I've been working out a solution to best utilize the old battery compartment in the stern. I'd already decided to put in a door to match the teak on the leaning post but have now gone further. The compartment itself will house the washdown pump and it will have a false bottom covering that. The rest will be used for storage or I may add some tackle storage.

Then there was the ever present notch in the back of that sumbitch for tilting the outboard. Problem solved today. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll use this as a mold or just put a layer of glass on it, glue it in with some peanut butter and then glass and fair the whole thing in. I will be cutting the old lid to be level with the new addition which will open up the space a bit more at the top. It'll be nice and level for sitting when done.

Speaking of level, I've decided to weld up an aluminum frame and put a platform on it that will sit as an easily removable unit in the spashwell. The platform will be flush with the top of the bait tanks and this will level up the whole stern section and make in nicer for sitting, standing while fishing, or laying out to catch some rays.

IMG_5403.jpg
IMG_5404.jpg
IMG_5405.jpg

Also filled a couple of holes that I had on the stern in front of the bait tanks. This is the jig I use to get backing in a hole that doesn't have much space behind it for a wedge. Works great to pull it tight against the mating surface and now I can grind out and feather the hole for a proper repair.

IMG_5401.jpg
IMG_5402.jpg
IMG_5406.jpg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
Today I got the battery compartment enclosed and glued in. Glassed in the bottom and gel coated it. Looks good from the inside but who really cares about that. Tomorrow I'll get it glassed in and faired. The angles are pretty damn good so I should only need a layer of 1700 and a finish layer of 1.5oz CSM.

IMG_5434.jpg

I glued the enclosure in with thickened epoxy and added some of what I call cotton candy. I take 1/4" chopped fibers and put them in a coffee grinder which fluffs them up really nice. Adds solid structure but keeps it malleable when wet for filling gaps.

IMG_5436.jpg
IMG_5437.jpg
IMG_5435.jpg

Reactions: Dragon

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
I can’t wait to get primer on this thing. But one less deadly battery box to contend with. Little bit of sanding and it’s like it was never there.

Yes I’m still a bit of a mess when it comes to fairing 😂

9CF6BE38-4926-4E13-8F3B-791496025065.jpeg
CFA9F9B6-2DE2-4371-8C7C-F68AC6CE4784.jpeg

Lifeislarge

Sep 25, 2019
Jax Beach
Name
Erik Batsford
Boat
Cabo 216 Cuddycon
It snowed in Florida today!!!!

IMG_5447.jpg

Got the transom enclosure glued in yesterday and today I started grinding the feathers. Should hopefully get some glass on it later this afternoon.

D6A9E3B9-8E6F-4208-966E-69308EECAEAB.jpeg

Have to protect that HIN!!!

IMG_5450.jpg

Got the battery box sanded and it turned out better than I ever hoped it would. Any final fairing will be done once primer is down.

IMG_5451.jpg

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Looks like itchy snow...