Gel coat turned out OK for my first time. Sanded it all out with 220 grit. After seeing the finish 220 leaves, I doubt I'll go past 600 on this thing. Gonna be a slayer, not a shower...lol. The glass had some high spots and it's showing through though so I am going to put another 2 coats of gel coat on.
I got the hull faired out. Still needs a couple more coats of gel coat that I need to order. In hindsight, I possibly should have used fairing compound before gelcoat but it is what it is now and it should turn out OK.
I also have the upper outdrive apart to replace the leaking seal. Found that the last guy that was inside it, put the outer(smaller) water seal for the driveshaft in upside down. It should be spring out or spring facing the lower unit. The other way lets water in and traps it....ends up doing this to the shaft below the inner oil seal.
Did a little work in the pulpit, I might route the bottom edge where it protrudes from the hull but I'm not sure yet. It's coming along though. FYI, Jatoba is hard as a rock! I would probably use different wood if I do this again but I doubt this thing is going to break before the hull does...
Got some sanding done on the transom. I need to get some trim tape to go around the outdrive and rub rail. Probably go for 1", leave 1" of old gel coat. I think I'm going to take it all the way to glass because of the problem described below.
The old white gel was not applied correctly. I'm not sure if it came from the factory like that or was done at some point later. The white gel was flaking away from the blue in a dispersed pattern like scales. I'm not sure what went wrong but it looks like they possibly didn't sand/prep the blue gel before spraying the white or they possibly thinned the white gel too much or with something like acetone instead of styrene.
I tried plugging one of the large holes in the transom above the waterline with iso resin, 1/4" chopped glass fiber and cabosil. Hole was 3/4"-1" in diameter. I've read and heard that gel coat doesn't stick to epoxy very well so instead of plugging such a large hole with epoxy and covering with gelcoat, I'm trying this.
Not much more going on at the moment. Waiting on pay day and then supplies to arrive, so things should speed up a bit in 2-3 weeks. I did seal the only remaining hole in the transom with epoxy. The hole for the transducer cable. Will fill with 4200 after the cable gets mounted again. Still messing around with the epoxy finish on the pulpit. Its going to turn out OK, but in the future would use an oil finish on the wood. 10 minutes every year to rub on some more oil is nothing compared to the work I've put into the epoxy trying to get a bubble free, smooth finish!
Currently waiting on gelcoat to be delivered as well as an impeller kit and bellhousing gaskets and upper shift shaft bushings/seals to put the outdrive back on. Going to spray the gel first. I'm getting a 1/4" aluminum backing plate for the pulpit and I've been playing around with ideas to build a fiberglass hard top down the road. Keeps my mind occupied while I'm waiting on parts and supplies.
Lmao...well, you're not wrong. I bought at a bad time, anything that would float in the ocean was double what I paid. I've almost spent as much money fixing it as I bought it for but what are you going to do. I passed on a pretty decent Trophy 2260 with a blown engine for $2500 that could have been pretty cool with a bracket/OB conversion. This should put me on fish when I get it back together....
Finally got the keel gelcoated again. I used PVA instead of wax this time. Seems to work but I don't really prefer one over the other at this point. Hopefully after I sand it out smooth again, no glass shows through. I'm prepping the transom for spraying gelcoat but it's tricky right now. It's already 80 degrees by 8am here. It may have to be a 4am to 7am operation...
Coated both sides with iso resin and one side got 1.5oz CSM. I don't have enough resin left to put CSM on the other side....need to get more resin. Probably put a layer of 1708 on top of the CSM or else some 6oz cloth I have from another project.
Prepping the transom for gelcoat. Will be straight white. I've removed the trim cylinders and hoses since I took this picture. Of course some of the threads on the hose manifold are stripped now...another benny...lol.