I replaced the fuel filler hose and the tank vent hose today. Not thrilled with the routing but that's how it was and that's pretty much what I'm working with. The wiring is an unbelievable mess as you can see....there were actually wires electrical taped to fuel line.
Any thoughts on what I should do with the plywood on the inside of the cockpit panels? I don't think it was ever sealed from the factory and some of it is getting pretty bad. I'm replacing the panels with 3/16" aluminum and I'm kinda thinking just cut all the old plywood out up to the fiberglass and seal the stub with epoxy? Save what's still not terrible and seal that with epoxy?
"Common uses: Ship building"
"Rot resistance: Very durable, resistant to termites and most other insects although possibly susceptible to marine borers"
Not planning on having my pulpit submerged in water and the last I checked, marine borers don't fly...
Got the shift shaft seal replaced as well as the main shaft o-ring after work. Bolted back together and filled with oil. No more leak! Got a port side, rear dump manifold on the way and a bunch of supplies from US Composites to repair all of the screw holes and laminate some wood. I know reading updates isn't too exciting. I'll try to post some pics the next time I update this...
Edit: Scratch that...oil leak still there. It's either that small o-ring between the upper and lower or some other seal in the upper. Looks like there are 2 or 3 possible seals in the upper...
Been doing little stuff here and there. The transom has been screwed more times than a Vegas hooker...and apparently the previous owner felt that clear silicone caulking was a suitable fix. Pulled the bilge drain plug fitting as well. Also "sealed" with clear silicone....unbelievable
I could probably get away with some polyester fairing compound and then fresh gel goat. Because the glass looks like it's taken some fair gouges on the stem, I'm going to fair out the gouges with polyester resin thickened with milled fibers and cabosil. Then 3 layers of 1.5oz CSM to reinforce whatever structural damage may have occurred to the glass in the stem.
And the best part to date...remember I said that everything on the transom was "sealed" with clear silicone caulking. Well, when I pulled the screws out of the bilge drain plug....water starts dripping. Transom core soaked! I start drilling holes until I find solid dry wood a few inches above the water line. For the love of God, NEVER NEVER use clear silicone below the water line!!!