Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
I've been first mating it and hauling anchors for far too long so I finally stepped up and bought my own boat! It's a '79 Beachcraft, I'm not too sure on the model but it's a 20ft cuddy cabin with a Mercruiser 898 I/O(305 Chevy). Guy I bought it from had owned it since 2000 and hadn't used it in 9 years....here we go...lol

IMG_5951.jpg

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
It runs pretty decent, but has a cracked exhaust manifold which needs to be replaced. The vinyl/plywood panels are all mostly shot and the fo rabbit fur in the cabin was coming off the fiberglass in strips so I ripped it all out.

20210516_083753.jpg

20210516_132401.jpg

20210516_133354.jpg

20210516_141555.jpg

Reactions: LEC and One_Leg

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Congrats on your boat. Are you going to start working on the trailer or boat first? Make a list.

You posted your pictures while I posted this message, looks like you do have a lot of work ahead of you. Enjoy owning a boat.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
I'm probably going to glue some marine carpet inside the cuddy and I'm making new panels for the outside out of 3/16" aluminum. There was never any type of anchor setup installed on the bow so that needs to be addressed as well. I'm thinking Bruce/claw style that will live on a bow roller as there isn't much room on the bow for a danforth with the hatch up there. Might have to do a bow pulpit as the shape of the bow deck is what it is.

20210516_091853.jpg

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
The trailer is in OK condition but not great. I towed it 2 hours home without issue though.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
The blower motor was seized, but I got that working. The blower hoses are shot and need to be replaced. And my biggest concern at the moment besides the exhaust manifold is the lower outdrive. There's a small hole in the front of it and it has a slow oil leak. I don't know what's up with that? I got the boat for a fairly good deal so if I have to install a new lower drive it's not the end of the world. Someone want to confirm the bad news for me?

20210517_163944.jpg

Reactions: bent rodz
bent rodz
bent rodz
If gear lube is dripping or seaping from that hole then replace your shift shaft seal. That's what is leaking. That weep hole is a drain for water so in the event you were in freezing temperatures the water doesn't freeze and crack the lower unit. 100% shift saft seal.
Upvote 0
bent rodz
bent rodz
Also not a hard job and it's diy friendly if your somewhat mechanically inclined. Do the water pump and seals while your in there. Pressure test to 12-15 psi. If it hold for 5 mins add gear lube and your good to go. I would be looking at the bellows too since it sat so long.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
Found a water pump replacement diagram that seems to show something in that location. Supposed to be a plug or?

20210517_165631.jpg

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
If it's leaking oil out of the weep hole there's a good chance the o ring (b) is bad. If it sat for 9 years, you definitely need to service the od.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
There's lots of other things that could cause the oil leak. At least do a complete service before running it.
Well, I'm going to drop the lower and take a look. What would a "complete service" entail?

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
What outdrive do u have?
Fuel and tank are a concern.
more pics and info
Cool 1st project

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
I believe it's a mercruiser model 1. Engine was running while I was there to pick it up. Fuel tank is aluminum and it's 42 gallons. There's room under the deck for a second tank which I'll probably do at some point. Something between 20-30 gallons by my estimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bent rodz
bent rodz
bent rodz
Yep, that outdrive is a mercruiser MC1 (pre-alpha)
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
Outdrive service usually includes changing the gear oil, installing new water pump, greasing all the zirc fittings including u joints. R and r the prop, check and grease. New gaskets, check the 3 hoses (bellows) for cracks, and anything else you can think of.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
Outdrive service usually includes changing the gear oil, installing new water pump, greasing all the zirc fittings including u joints. R and r the prop, check and grease. New gaskets, check the 3 hoses (bellows) for cracks, and anything else you can think of.
OK. The guy said he just installed a new water pump. I found the package in a box of other stuff and it has a bunch of gaskets in it so I doubt he put new gaskets in. That would explain the oil leak...lol. He said it has new bellows though.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
If that is oil coming form that mystery hole, you have a problem. If it's water, you may be OK. Have you run it on the ear muffs? I would very concerned about the condition of the exhaust manifolds. They are likely shot. Bad manifods kill engines, they has a bad habit of leaking sea water into the exhaust ports.

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC
OK. The guy said he just installed a new water pump. I found the package in a box of other stuff and it has a bunch of gaskets in it so I doubt he put new gaskets in. That would explain the oil leak...lol. He said it has new bellows though.
When you buy a new water pump kit, it usually comes with a lot of extra gaskets. The kit usually fits several different ods. He probably replaced the gaskets. I had the same leak (oil) coming from the weep hole. Ended up being a bad seal in the upper.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
If that is oil coming form that mystery hole, you have a problem. If it's water, you may be OK. Have you run it on the ear muffs? I would very concerned about the condition of the exhaust manifolds. They are likely shot. Bad manifods kill engines, they has a bad habit of leaking sea water into the exhaust ports.
Yes, I watched it run 15 minutes before I bought it. I'm replacing the cracked manifold.

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
When you buy a new water pump kit, it usually comes with a lot of extra gaskets. The kit usually fits several different ods. He probably replaced the gaskets. I had the same leak (oil) coming from the weep hole. Ended up being a bad seal in the upper.
Bad seal in the upper eh? Sounds like this is getting deeper....

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
Trailer isn't even close to that bad. I think I found the problem with the leaking outdrive oil. I pulled the lower drive and it came out easily. Way lighter than I was expecting. O-ring on the shaft looked exactly like this when it came out! It's also boogered. Looks like oil was just leaking down the shaft into the center exhaust portion of the lower drive.

20210518_185913.jpg

Reactions: SD2600
Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
20' Beachcraft Cuddy
Boat has one non functional bilge pump. Obviously, that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure if this boat has ever seen the salt as the previous owner only used it in lakes and the Sac river. Bilge pump suggestions? I know that I want 2 with at least 1 of them being automatic with a built in float.

Upvote 0