First big game reel, why not an Avet?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Pete1979, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Pete1979

Pete1979 Member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Does anyone use the Avet EX 30? I know there are higher end options out there and I've been looking at the 16 sized Penn and Makaira but it seems like the big Avets are a steal. People I've talked to either love them or hate them but I never seem to get a reason why.

2. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    I love Avet and 80 percent of my reels are Avet. I use the maks for 100 lb and above. If you looking at a 30 from Avet that is a fine 80 lb reel.. I have a 30 Avet I use for my trolling set up..I love that reel..call me if I can help..714-471-5766

Robert

IronMikeAC and Pete1979 like this.
  3. caveman

caveman Member

Name:
    charles boyd
    Boat:
    20 ft. jetcraft,ciocc
    I own one, love it. Well built, good price point, easy to work on, (especially with Alan Tani's tutorials - thanks Alan) and has been very reliable for me. You see lots of Avets on the long range boats for all of the reasons above. I also own other brands that I like as well. The great thing is that there are so many choices for us that are all good. I don't know what you are going to use it for, but the HX Raptor I used at Guadalupe was incredible, perhaps another option? Used it with 80 lb. and no problems on 120-140 pound YFT. Good luck on your search.

nefarious235, terryc. and Pete1979 like this.
  4. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Sold my avets, have all accurates

Bill W, karlk1125, Fishybuzz and 2 others like this.
  5. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    I have Accurates, Shimanos and Avets. Avets have done me well over the years but they seem to need far more servicing than the other one to the point that I wouldn't by an Avet again. I'd give a look at Shimano, Penn and Okuma if you have the $$

Retired1 and Pete1979 like this.
  6. Lundalakan

Lundalakan Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Lund alaskan
    I don’t have a problem with my Avets. Never needed anything other than regular cleanings like the rest of my reels.

Pete1979 likes this.
  7. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    EX30 is an excellent reel. So are all the other makes that will be promoted as alternatives. I've gotten cows on my 30 and fish it as a 100lb outfit. I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend Penn or Okuma or others, but interestingly, the great majority of failures that I've witnessed on LR trips have been Accurates----for that reason they scare me.

bbuck and Pete1979 like this.
  8. Tony O'Connell

Tony O'Connell Member

Name:
    Tony O'Connell
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    What and where exactly are you planning to fish?

9. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    There are a lot of great options out there you just need to find the one that fits your needs and budget. If you're really looking at the Avets call Micah at M&M rods in Point Loma, he just got a load of blems in. Nothing wrong with them just small cosmetic issues with the colors being off

10. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    There's really nothing wrong with any of the new reels made by any of the manufacturers. They all have their own features, attributes and areas that could use improvement. Some are heavier (Penn), some seem to need more maintenance (Accurate), some have incredible freespool (Okuma), some are more reliable than others (Shimano, IMO). I have big game reels from every manufacturer. I'm a bit partial to the Okuma's due to their excellent freespool, line capacity (their 20 holds more than an Avet 30) and not being too heavy (like Penn or Shimano).
    You do need to consider weight when you figure you can be at the rail literally all day and then some without even getting picked up - it's called fishing, not catching - and having your hands go numb or cramp up isn't anything you want.
    Happy hunting

$norkle and Yellowtail Dan like this.
  11. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    I have two Mak 20's and a 30 and there is a BIG difference holding one or the other for long soaks. I don't know the Avet lineup but I'm sure they have comparable reels. Love the new 20 size reels the companies have been coming out with

12. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Member

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Water Missle
    I now have 3 Avet 3 speeds alone, including a 50 wide. Have 3 Raptors also and think they make a fine reel. Not sure about service needs as I break mine down each season and service them. They are very good reels at reasonable costs. Thus far never had a problem with them, I have had issues with a couple International Penn's.

13. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    I love my Avets.

Good choice.

14. Pete1979

Pete1979 Member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Whatever I end up getting will get filled with 100 or 130 hollow but realistically I won't be fishing more than an 80lb topshot. Hopefully we'll be fishing decent grade tuna, the local bluefin don't seem to be going anywhere and maybe some big yellows off the bottom. The trip we're on at the end of September has fished the ridge the last couple of years but it's too early to say where we'll be yet.

15. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    If you are only considering an 80 pound top shot, you might want a smaller, lighter reel.

May two cents. Consider a 16 or 20 size reel. If you are an only Avet fan then maybe an HXW raptor. Accurate has a 12. Penn or Okuma Mak are other choice. If I were looking I’d cone in on the Mak 20. It hold 600 yards of 100# braid and can fish 100# top shot.

I have Avets, Accurate, and Mak. Oh and Penn. do your research weight, line capacity, drag pounds, price, etc. And what game fish are you targeting.

You should get a good price at Fred Hall on whatever you decide.

Oh, and go have fun!

Pete1979 and Yellowtail Dan like this.
  16. Tony O'Connell

Tony O'Connell Member

Name:
    Tony O'Connell
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I would get an Avet HX Raptor 3 speed(or 2sp to save money) and fill it with 80 or 65 solid white spectra and then tie on flouro 40-100. (I would recommend the power handle for bigger fish). It can fish yoyo jigs well for yellows and handle fish up to 100 at Guadalupe or Clemente. A JX raptor filled with 50-65 spectra or an HXW-3 with 100 would make good additions. All these reels can cast. If you only want to fish bait for quality fish I would go to the Mak Sea 16 with 100. Buy the best quality gear you can, it will pay off if you hook a good one. T

17. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Buy a gently used avet 30 or 30w (if you are cow hunting). I think I have 4 of them (2 each) and no trouble with any. Less trouble with salt than the HX raptors (have those too). You can send an avet in for cleaning 1x every 3 years and be fine. 30s will hold 600+ yds of 100lb jb line, the 30w hold the same amount of line as an avet 50. Get the larger pro handle if it doesn't come with it.

Pete1979 likes this.
  18. Pete1979

Pete1979 Member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    Thanks for the input. Honestly I've been eyeballing and fondling the Makaira 16 for a long time now and I think I would pick it up over the HX Raptor since they cost the same. The Avet 30 really came to mind because they are $100 cheaper and seem heavier duty.

RichG likes this.
  19. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Hx raptor 3 speed rocks...I would take the hx over the 16...

Pete1979 likes this.
  20. skipjackrobert

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    That answered his question..

skotz likes this.