First Attempt at Crimping

Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
I bought a Nicopress 17-B4B crimping tool along with the B1 sleeves. This is my first attempt, using 130 lb. fluoro, one sleeve, two crimps. I want to make sure I’m on the right track for targeting bluefin. Opinions?
7524C394-8836-4708-A71D-4D5152257271.jpeg

Reactions: anemic and kbray001
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Try to break it...use levers or machinery if you have to and see where it fails...if it breaks with pressure far beyond what you can do with a rod and reel your good..if ithe line slips out of the crimp you're not

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
leadertec.com you want black double barrel crimps, BTW that looks like a good crimp IMHO! at leadertec they have a wonderful tutorial on crimps and the pros and cons of each type. I crimp everything 50 lb and up NEVER had one fail!

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence

I guess it depends on the brand of line. B1 or B4
I love Basil, but that's why single barrel crimps can be a problem, with double barrels they come in DIAMETERS match your line DIAMETER and your good to go, don't know? put the line in one side of the crimp without to much room left and wa-la that's the right size! The OP did do one other thing that's important he melted the tag end on the line. Flouro can transmit light ALSO in you melt the end it mushrooms a little bit and the theory is if it does slip it won't pull thru. I have heard story's of catching fish on forgotten crimps that way but I don't think I want to test the theory.

Reactions: stuman
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’ve never seen anybody crimp 50 lb

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Quinn, the B1 sleeve pictured IS NOT a single barrel. It’s a dual barrel. And it looks pretty good. Always check actual line diameter before selecting the correct sleeve. Especially when using 130lb fluoro, they’re all different.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
Quinn, the B1 sleeve pictured IS NOT a single barrel. It’s a dual barrel. And it looks pretty good. Always check actual line diameter before selecting the correct sleeve. Especially when using 130lb fluoro, they’re all different.
I said it looked like it was done well!

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2019
San Pedro, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
La Reina
Thank you all for your input. I’ll give the leader a good pull test before using it. The help you all provide makes trying new things a lot easier!

Upvote 0

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
I pull to failure, crimps, knots and windons up to momoi 200# extra hard. I have a very safe set up. Most of my setups I now can tell if they are done right when I do them

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
Thank you all for your input. I’ll give the leader a good pull test before using it. The help you all provide makes trying new things a lot easier!
it looks like you did it perfectly! you will find you will love crimping, all these different knots out there and I can only remember one and then with the heavier lines I turned to crimping and I love it!

Reactions: Sailing La Reina
Upvote 0