May 31, 2016
Hauula
Name
Noa
Boat
18' zodiac
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So stoked got our first ahi ever. Started the day off early leaving Hauula around 4:30 drove down to Haleiwa setup launched around 545. Trolled out to ii buoy right off the back hooked up a shibi. The bite was consistent for about a good hour, then it kind of died out. Trolled out to j buoy nothing there, trolled back to ii about 930 and the bite was on, non stop action till about 1:00. Decided to go in, my friend tells me to let out some lures, and my boat is not really setup for trolling of any sort, no outriggers, not really enough spread between any lures. So decided ah, just throw two lures out the back at different distances, nothing all the way in Until about a mile out from Haleiwa harbor. Boom left side pole takes off and granted I was kind of going fast. Anyways I've never heard a reel scream so hard before haha. Anyways after about 30 minutes we land the fish on the boat and it made one hell of a story when we got back home.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

jkvshooter

Mar 14, 2009
Oahu
Name
justin
Boat
Fiber Form
Congrats on the first one!
and thanks for the report.
Aloha,
Justin

FromTheEast

May 31, 2016
Hauula
Name
Noa
Boat
18' zodiac
Thanks Justin sorry I'm new to the forum but I've been a long time reader. Thanks crazy story man so unreal.

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Congratulations, Noa and crew!

Looks like you were running about a 6 ft spread between the two lures. Perfect!

You took the strike just 1 mile outside of the harbor? Wow! Is that inside or outside of the 100 fa line? Nice shallow water yellowfin...good going! Now stay on it and keep 'em coming!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Awesome Noa and crew,
That is a cool story for sure, stoked for ya. Way to go!!!

Cheers
Pat

FromTheEast

May 31, 2016
Hauula
Name
Noa
Boat
18' zodiac

You took the strike just 1 mile outside of the harbor? Wow! Is that inside or outside of the 100 fa line? Nice shallow water yellowfin...good going! Now stay on it and keep 'em coming!
Thanks pat in all honestly we actually weren't going to troll in a friend needed fish for a party so we had enough and was actually going to fly it in but something told us put the lures in the water. I think we were inside of the 100 da line pretty crazy. I mean people could see us fighting it from the harbor. Thanks to al you guys, I read a lot of reports on here I have nothing but respect for everyone on here.

Surfdawg

Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Noa,
Great story and congrats! You never forget your first.
Surfdawg

FromTheEast

May 31, 2016
Hauula
Name
Noa
Boat
18' zodiac

Thanks Todd pretty crazy for me just not used to catching something so big, yes the fish took the line inside the

Thanks Todd yup it was actually inside the 100 fa line.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Congrats Noa and crew on your Ahi! What a great day to have so much action and top it off with an Ahi just outside the harbor!! Friend going be stoked with all the fish for the party now!

FromTheEast

May 31, 2016
Hauula
Name
Noa
Boat
18' zodiac
Congrats Noa and crew on your Ahi! What a great day to have so much action and top it off with an Ahi just outside the harbor!! Friend going be stoked with all the fish for the party now!
Thanks Jason yup never going to forget that sound of the reel screaming. Thanks again for the comment.
Noa

shfish

Apr 14, 2012
Palolo
Name
Spencer
Boat
Ohana H, 30' Knife
View attachment 765965 View attachment 765966 So stoked got our first ahi ever. Started the day off early leaving Hauula around 4:30 drove down to Haleiwa setup launched around 545. Trolled out to ii buoy right off the back hooked up a shibi. The bite was consistent for about a good hour, then it kind of died out. Trolled out to j buoy nothing there, trolled back to ii about 930 and the bite was on, non stop action till about 1:00. Decided to go in, my friend tells me to let out some lures, and my boat is not really setup for trolling of any sort, no outriggers, not really enough spread between any lures. So decided ah, just throw two lures out the back at different distances, nothing all the way in Until about a mile out from Haleiwa harbor. Boom left side pole takes off and granted I was kind of going fast. Anyways I've never heard a reel scream so hard before haha. Anyways after about 30 minutes we land the fish on the boat and it made one hell of a story when we got back home. View attachment 765965 View attachment 765967
Good going Noa!!! Awesome day

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Awesome. Great report excellent pic

MahiManiac

Nov 24, 2015
Leeward Oahu
Name
Bradly
Boat
26' Century Antigua 235
Been away on business and just read this report. Good going. Nice fish. I learned my first trip out with Pat- Troll all the way in. You never know when a Marlin, or in your case- ahi, is gunna peel your reel. Congrats.
Brad

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Noa and crew,
Awesome YFT! Isn’t that the best!!! The unexpected “Hanapa’a! Good going and nice to have a yellow guy before the summer even starts!