Shimano First 40lb Set Up

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
OP, I'd go to tackle days or the FHS and check them out. If you have a good fishing tackle store, ask them what they fish. You don't need to spend 400-500 bucks to get a good 40lb reel. You can get a good reel for 200-250 or one used for 125-175.

First thing to keep in mind, NOTHING CASTS AS WELL AS A STAR DRAG. If you're looking for a reel in a pick bite where casting is a premium, get one of these. All the guys responding to you have one of these.

Secondly, the lower the gear ratio, the easier it is to turn the handle when you have a big fish on the line. Penn's and Daiwa's offer lower gear ratios in their reels. Shimano does NOT. I've seen a lot of guys tooled out by 50-60 lb fish. They pull hard and if you don't fish the proper drag, have the proper rod and if you don't have good technique, you're not going to have a good time.

If I were you, I'd look at everything and take people's recommendation with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

MikeL

Sep 26, 2007
Riverside, ca
Name
Michael Lewin
Boat
No boat
Will be going on my first LR (6 Days) in the summer of 2015. I would like to invest in a good casting 40lb reel that would be spooled with spectra/short topshot (fishing bait). Was thinking between the trinidad 16A or the talica 12ii.

Questions:

1. Does the trini 16a have enough guts/power to fish 40lb? (star vs. lever?)

2. Do you really need two speed for 40lb setup on a 6 day trip?

I have not tried some of the other 2-speed reels mentioned in other posts, but I do have the Talica 12ii and also a Trinidad 40. I find the Talica to be a great bait fishing reel and will easily cast a sardine. I also have an Accurate BX 600N 2 speed reel that I like but with both set ups sitting in the rack the Talica is what I almost always reach for first.

Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I just found low gears for the gold shimano trinidad's. OP, you could buy one of these and drop the gears in for a killer all-around reel. I'm a Penn guy but I feel that the low gears also make the Trinidad a very good star-drag option.

Upvote 0

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
none
The Talica 12 can easily fish 30,40, and 50, probably 60 too. It is for me the best bait reel there is in that class.

Upvote 0

fishinguy1031

FISHINGUY1031
Apr 26, 2013
houston, tx, usa
Name
james gautreaux
Boat
none
Don't forget about the Okuma andros series, single and two speed. the 2015 models show shipping to the USA, end of year. Should be a go-to reel for what your looking for at a good $$$$$. Thanks FISHINGUY.

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Avet SX Raptor.......casts great, strong drags.

Accurate BX2 400....smoothest fish fighting reel I have used for 40 lb.

Go to Fred Hall and handle them all...then decide.

Reactions: princefredo
Upvote 0

graya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2005
Fontana CA
Name
Guadalupe Raya
Boat
none
I have both tallicas and trinidads A's and it all depends on what you like is nice to have the 2 speed option on fish over 100 pounds and it all depends on your stile of fishing I dont have the patience to grind on low gear I am a pump and wind fisherman and the high speed makes me get more line in quicker than the low gear I have accurates daiwas tiburons and okumas but there is nothing as smooth as a shimano

Upvote 0

JonathanMM

Nov 29, 2011
San Pedro, CA, USA
Name
Jonathan Mitsumori
Boat
Tinker Toy
Chang

I don't think anyone answered your question. I think you've got the right idea about the Trini 16A with spectra and top shot of 40#. On a 6 day LR 40# is your most important rig. You don't need 2sp or level drag, (to much to play with). What's more important is cast-ability with live bait, (farther is better), watch the pro-deck hands. They cast twice as far as the rest of us and get bit first. The star drag will always cast better than the level drags, it's inherit in the design. The most important aspect is spool rotation mass. Lower mass equals better casting. That why the Newells were the best casting reels on the market, (lightest graphite spool without any good ball bearings). Don't be confused by sales reps showing you a reel the spins forever in the shop because of ball bearings. Too much spool mass, (weight). That's why Avet end up putting on magnetic drag control to slow the spool down.

If you really want to know the technical analysis go to to Japan Tackle on line. He's an ex-aerospace engineer that does the analysis on bass reels and explains how to make them work.

For me the Trini 16A is probable the top on the line. The Daiwa Saltiga 35 when it had the star drag would have been close. Don't know much about the others. The key is you need 10 to 12 lbs of smooth drag and a light weigh, narrow spool. You could use a Torium 16, does the same with a few less ball bearing and cast metal frame. I use a Daiwa Saltist 35 (I'm cheap), and it works fine. Pulled in plenty of fish including 70#bft with it.

I load my up with 60# JB spec and 40#mono. At first I use a short top shot of 3-4' of fluor. Problem was after big fish the spec digs into itself and hangs up when I try to cast a bait until I loosen the wraps. Also pulled hooks as there is no stretch in the setup. What I do now put on a 50' TS of 40# mono, just enough to cast with and some times a 3' piece of fluor at the end. System work great for casting and stretch.

FYI
When I connect the spectra to mono, I use an inline splice with 24-30" overlap, (3) nail/nub knots and insta-flex. If I'm in a hurry or deck hands do, then it's RP or Bob Sandy knot which will hang up in guides.

The JB spec is a 12 strand and a pain to get the mono in for the splice. I've since replaced part the end, (due to wear and nicks) with a 16 strand 65#Toro Tamer, (larger diameter) which is very easy to stretch and insert the mono, no excuses for not splicing.

PS; I have Talic 12II with the same set up for 50-60#

Hope that help you

Jonathan

Reactions: Ashearer76
Upvote 0

dunku

Sep 11, 2007
ventura, ca
Name
nolan
Boat
the one i paid a spot for
i saw a trini 20 and a 30 go down on the first day of a 3 day. they were on the 60-85 lb bluefin. the reels did not leave the rod rack after a bluefin fight

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
I have both fished a 7 day mostly with 16 was not a problem you have plenty of time to research and choose all brands have upped their game its what you prefer trini is light and easy to fish all day. what ever brand you choose I don't think you will be disappointed

Upvote 0

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
If you're gonna go the star drag route............
If you're a baller go with a trini
If you want to save some $ and get just about the same performance , go with a Penn Fathom Star 25N.
The Penn is a new design , the Shimano has been around 4yrs or so. You can even put some lower ratio gears in it to give you more crankin torque.

Upvote 0

vincent2003

Almost A Member
Nov 25, 2013
Granada Hills, ca, USA
Name
Vincent
Boat
none
lexa 400p PWR. Light spool for longer casts. Use small diameter braid 50#. Get a 9 ft 30lb stick. Its what I use and I really like this setup.

A tranx PWR will out cast the lexa but not worth the extra cash for a bait reel IMHO.

Upvote 0

bob1825

• Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I used a talica 12 for my 40# live bait set up and it is by far my favorite set up to fish with. I've killed everything with it.

Reactions: qtrracer
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    What I would add is that there are 40lb rigs you fish 40 with in a hot bite for schoolies (low profile), 40 lb rigs you fish 40 with in a scratch bite (star drags) and 40lb rigs you fish when you are over 80lbers (2-speeds).....:).

If you want the finesse rig then a Trini is an excellent choice. Ideal casting and fishing a live bait in a scratch bite. Larger models are gonna be a little more hard work but that is not the reel's fault.

If you want a good middle ground, then a Talica is an excellent choice. You might need a little friskier bait to turn the spool and you wont have quite the casting ease but you will also have a little more cranking power when bit heavy.

If budget is an issue then get both LOL.

But that means a Torium and a Tyrnos mated with rods unless budget is not a concern. They will do just fine and you'll have a back up that way.

If I were going to just get one, then the Trini 16 will do more things (cast iron and bait) than a lever drag would BUT if you have 2 solid 30lb rigs then a 2-speed is an ideal 40lb rig for many guys as you are going to it really only for larger fish, not for finesse fishing.

The one rig you must have is the quality 3/0 star drag, imo, as that will handle more duties than anything in capable hands. Just want to be sure you have that covered.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    If I had only one reel and rod combo to take on a 6 day trip, it would probably be a Talica 8 or Talica 10 spooled with straight 50 pound white power pro on a Terez 70H. I would use short top shots (3-4 feet) of 30 or 40 pound fluro......even 50 is fine because the knot will brake first).

I fished this combo on my last 7 day trip on the Excel and it was so light weight, yet so powerful, and most importantly, it was such a joy to fish with.

The largest tuna I have caught on my Talica 8 was 64 pounds and it was a blast. I use the two speed low gear function on all tuna over 40 pounds once I get them straight up and down..........so awesome.

If you are worried about line capacity, you can go with the Talica 10. The Talica 12 is significantly heavier/bulkier, and for me, not as fun to fish with and only needed if you are getting into consistently larger tuna, but on a 6 day in September, you probably won't (but you never know).

I have almost all of the Talicas and the Trinidad A reels. I love them all, but again, if I had to choose one for a September 6 day, it would be a Talica 8 or 10, and pair it with that Terez 70H.

Some of the other reels mentioned in this thread like the Okuma and Penn are great reels.......but nothing feels like a Shimano.......it's that smoothness and ergonomics that make Shimano stand out over the rest in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Saski

Almost A Member
    Sep 19, 2013
    San Ysidro CA
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    none
    I'm also starting to look for a 40# rig, except budget is a big deal for me, and so is versatility. I'm basically looking for something that can fish the yo-yo, dropper loop, and also work as 40# bait rig.

I think I will go for one of the Tallus rods, since I heard they're basically a terez blank with different guides, handle and reel seat. My biggest doubt is the reel, don't know if I should go star drag or 2 speed, and what size I would need, think something that can hold 250-300 yards of 65# braid will do the trick, any suggestions?

Upvote 0

ray loftis

Fish Strong
    Apr 15, 2014
    El Cajon
    Name
    Ray Loftis
    Boat
    Any one I'm on is fine
    I have a couple Tallus rods I feel very confident with. The price is very good also.
    They perform well
    Ray

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    I'm also starting to look for a 40# rig, except budget is a big deal for me, and so is versatility. I'm basically looking for something that can fish the yo-yo, dropper loop, and also work as 40# bait rig.

I think I will go for one of the Tallus rods, since I heard they're basically a terez blank with different guides, handle and reel seat. My biggest doubt is the reel, don't know if I should go star drag or 2 speed, and what size I would need, think something that can hold 250-300 yards of 65# braid will do the trick, any suggestions?

I would get a Tallus 70H and pair it with a new Torium 16 or 20....personally I would probably go with the Torium 16 because I like to fish smaller/lighter reels and just load them with braid and fish short top shots (3 feet of fluro).

Reactions: urbanforest92
    Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
    Jan 26, 2008
    Torrance
    Name
    Jerr
    Boat
    shit talking
    IMO the high speed reels wont hurt you todays high speed reels are built way different from yesteryears stuff. They have more torque when and grinding power.
    Was catching 40-50lb tuna no problem. If you let the rod and reel do the work and not your arms it will be butter. Not to mention low gear especially in 2 speed crank down on them when they are near the boat in deep color

Reactions: Lone Shark
    Upvote 0

Mr. Chang

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    Chang
    Boat
    N/A
    If I had only one reel and rod combo to take on a 6 day trip, it would probably be a Talica 8 or Talica 10 spooled with straight 50 pound white power pro on a Terez 70H. I would use short top shots (3-4 feet) of 30 or 40 pound fluro......even 50 is fine because the knot will brake first).

I fished this combo on my last 7 day trip on the Excel and it was so light weight, yet so powerful, and most importantly, it was such a joy to fish with.

The largest tuna I have caught on my Talica 8 was 64 pounds and it was a blast. I use the two speed low gear function on all tuna over 40 pounds once I get them straight up and down..........so awesome.

If you are worried about line capacity, you can go with the Talica 10. The Talica 12 is significantly heavier/bulkier, and for me, not as fun to fish with and only needed if you are getting into consistently larger tuna, but on a 6 day in September, you probably won't (but you never know).

I have almost all of the Talicas and the Trinidad A reels. I love them all, but again, if I had to choose one for a September 6 day, it would be a Talica 8 or 10, and pair it with that Terez 70H.

Some of the other reels mentioned in this thread like the Okuma and Penn are great reels.......but nothing feels like a Shimano.......it's that smoothness and ergonomics that make Shimano stand out over the rest in my opinion.

Jonathan,

Do you experience side load when fishing 40lb on the talica 8? If so, does it cause any "wobbling" of the reel when fighting a fish?

Upvote 0