First 1.5day trip - Rod/Reel Help

Mar 17, 2020
Bay Area, CA
Name
Christopher Hand
Boat
Triton
Hey everyone so I just got started fishing out of SD from the Bay Area I can say i'm hooked. I have gone out on a few full day 6 pack charters this year and caught 1 or 2 schoolie size tuna.

So the wife decided she wanted to go visit some of her girls down in Orange County over Labor day weekend so I decided to tag along and hop on the Outrider this Sunday for my first 1.5day trip. So from what I've heard the Outrider seems like a great boat and i'm hoping the smaller load (11) will be a little advantageous to a newbie like me. I'm trying to get my setups ready for the trip and I'm not sure exactly which ones to bring. I don't want to be unprepared buy I don't want to bring too many setups if I don't have to. If you guys can give me some input on which Rods/Reels to bring, any tackle suggestions, or any other input i'm all ears.

Rods and Reels:
Seeker 270-7
Varmac #2 Custom 7'8 20-40 Paired with Lexa 400HD w/ 50lb PP
Phenix Abyss HD 7'8 15-40 Paired with Torium 20HG w/65 PP and 50yd 40lb Mono topshot
Calstar 870H Paired with Avet MXJ Raptor w/ 65lb pp
Phexis AXIS 780XH 30-80 Paired with a Talica 12II w/ 80lb PP

Spare Reels:

Avet MXL G2 w/ 50lb pp 50yd 30lb flouro topshot (Bait shop messed up and did flouro instead of mono but charged me for mono)
Torium 16HG w/ 50lb pp 30lb Mono Topshot

Thanks in advance for the input

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hey everyone so I just got started fishing out of SD from the Bay Area I can say i'm hooked. I have gone out on a few full day 6 pack charters this year and caught 1 or 2 schoolie size tuna.

So the wife decided she wanted to go visit some of her girls down in Orange County over Labor day weekend so I decided to tag along and hop on the Outrider this Sunday for my first 1.5day trip. So from what I've heard the Outrider seems like a great boat and i'm hoping the smaller load (11) will be a little advantageous to a newbie like me. I'm trying to get my setups ready for the trip and I'm not sure exactly which ones to bring. I don't want to be unprepared buy I don't want to bring too many setups if I don't have to. If you guys can give me some input on which Rods/Reels to bring, any tackle suggestions, or any other input i'm all ears.

Rods and Reels:
Seeker 270-7
Phenix Abyss HD 7'8 15-40 Paired with Torium 20HG w/65 PP and 50yd 40lb Mono topshot

Spare Reels:

Avet MXL G2 w/ 50lb pp 50yd 30lb flouro topshot (Bait shop messed up and did flouro instead of mono but charged me for mono)

I’m going on the fortune Sunday out
Of the same landing, I’m bringing a 25 LB
Setup, and 30LB
A 40 Lb, and 2 50LB and a 80 LB
To troll , or flat Fall,
For a 1 1/2 day, I hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Almost A Member
Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA

Rods and Reels:
Seeker 270-7

Spare Reels:

Tough to say if you’ll be headed south targeting the smaller dodos and yellows, or west for the Bluefin. I would bring 25lb, 30lb, 40lb, and 50/60lb.

Looking at your lineup I would consider swapping the Lexa for the Torium 16 for 25lb, Avet MXL G2 for 30lb, Avet MXJ Raptor for 40lb, Talica 12 for 50/60lb. And you can use your Torium 20 for surface iron or colt snipers.

Don’t worry too much about the mono topshots on your reels already. If you haven’t already, learn how to tie a triple surgeons knot and you can just tie different fluoro leaders to your mono.

Good luck on your trip and report back 🤙🏼 Outrider is fishy as hell and very driven to put their customers on fish, you’re in good hands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
25#
30#
40#
50#
80#

If you go to Tanner Bank for the BF, you will more than likely use 25# or 30#, so you might want to take a "spare" outfit just in case something goes wrong with your first outfit. Or spare reel.

More than likely you will not be fishing with flat fall type jigs at night as you will not get to Tanner until daylight. Mostly flyline with light line and small hooks. Owner Mutu #4 hooks. Yellowtail are mixed in with the BF.

Take a small 80-100g flat fall. Just in case. Small ones have been working better than the larger sizes.

Chrome jigs have also been working if you would rather use a jig.

Adjust the gear you have to accommodate these line sizes and you should be good to go.

I doubt the boat will fish for the Jumbo BF at SCI. Not enough time and the counts will be minimal.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Your outfits are fine for a 1.5 day. Depending on how adept you are at live lining a casted bait, I'd switch the Torium 20 to the Varmac 20-40 and the 16 to the Abyss 15-40. Pop that Lexa 400 on the lighter 270 stick. You haven't lived until you catch peanut dodo's on a low profile baitcaster and that level-wind is very forgiving. Your two heavier sticks will handle the size of BFT that most sporties are limiting on at the moment. 90% of the time on a 1. 5 day, you'll be using one of two rigs, anyways. Tie on appropriate test flouro leaders as the situation dictates. Just make sure you also have an additional setup rigged with either a 80-130 gram Coltsniper or flatfall, as mentioned above. Personally, I'd also have one outfit with a surface stickbait or my favorite popper attached, as the YFT and skippies are coming out to play. Knowing Spafford, he'll probably run west for a shot at BFT limits first, then cut across to hit kelp paddies on the back end of the trip. The new Outrider crew now (ex-Tomahawk), is as solid as they come. Capt. Jeff, Chapo and Mikey will give you the rubs as a noob, but are only that salty because they get as stoked as the anglers do when killing fish. You'll be stacking memories as well as meat on an ultra limited load with them. (And for the sake of sanity, DO NOT hook a bigger bluefin on your Lexa 400!) Something magical about fishing offshore SD in September, best time. Can't wait till the 15th! Go get yours but don't forget to have FUN! And remember: "Check your knots, wind in your face, tight lines, and follow your fish..."

Upvote 0

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
I'm also from the Bay Area (Castro Valley) and make it down there a few times a year. Gone on an 8, 1.5, 2.5 so far this year, 3 day this weekend. Every trip is different and it depends on where the boat is going. Last trip the boat didn't go for the dorados, we went to Tanner for half the day. BFT were anywhere from 5-40#. Then went into SCI for the big stuff and didn't touch my gear for the rest of the trip (boring) because the boat fished kite and we ended up with 8+ BFT over 100#. I usually bring a few rods to cover anything we might run into but always end up using one rod 90% of the time.

My usual is a 25-30, 40, and jig stick. Depending on the bite (I usually make up my mind the night before) I'll bring a 60 for sinker, 80 or 100 for flatfalls, 20 for schoolies. I always have a couple spools of fluoro and a lot of hooks to choose from. Mustads, Owner mutus and gorillas, every size from 4 to 2/0.

Some boats have little to no AC in the bunk rooms so I like bringing a little battery powered portable fan with a clip. I also bring a battery pack to charge up my phone, flip flops for the showers, and ear plugs.

With COVID, driving has been a breeze. What used to be a 7am to 5pm drive is now 7am to 230pm and that's with stops for lunch and tackle shop.

Reactions: OnTheRocks2003
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Bay Area, CA
Name
Christopher Hand
Boat
Triton
I'm also from the Bay Area (Castro Valley) and make it down there a few times a year. Gone on an 8, 1.5, 2.5 so far this year, 3 day this weekend. Every trip is different and it depends on where the boat is going. Last trip the boat didn't go for the dorados, we went to Tanner for half the day. BFT were anywhere from 5-40#. Then went into SCI for the big stuff and didn't touch my gear for the rest of the trip (boring) because the boat fished kite and we ended up with 8+ BFT over 100#. I usually bring a few rods to cover anything we might run into but always end up using one rod 90% of the time.

My usual is a 25-30, 40, and jig stick. Depending on the bite (I usually make up my mind the night before) I'll bring a 60 for sinker, 80 or 100 for flatfalls, 20 for schoolies. I always have a couple spools of fluoro and a lot of hooks to choose from. Mustads, Owner mutus and gorillas, every size from 4 to 2/0.

Some boats have little to no AC in the bunk rooms so I like bringing a little battery powered portable fan with a clip. I also bring a battery pack to charge up my phone, flip flops for the showers, and ear plugs.

With COVID, driving has been a breeze. What used to be a 7am to 5pm drive is now 7am to 230pm and that's with stops for lunch and tackle shop.

Thank you for the info glad to see another person from the EB. I actually worked in CV for the longest time and still go to Vanessa for most of my tackle needs. I'm really looking forward to the trip and hopefully learning a lot, seems like the outrider is top notch and i'm glad i spent the little extra $$. Good Luck with the trip this weekend let's hope its good for us both.

Upvote 0

Latest posts