1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Hello all! I am excited to be going out on my first 1.5 day this July on the Ranger 85. Curious as to suggestions on what to bring. Currently, I have a 25, 30/40, 60, 80 lb bait setups that I am planning to bring. In terms of tackle and jigs any suggestions on to stalk up for the night night, before all the jigs are sold out? I have 2 of the tady flatfalls and 1 glow in the dark already rigged shimano butterfly. I have been on an overnight but not sure if a 1.5 day is a completely different experience. I am also planning to maybe go out on the tribute late May for another trip, so hopefully that boat will be nice. Either that or hop on the old glory. Thank you!

jay17735
    jay17735
    I’ll be going on my first 1.5 day in July on the Ranger 85 as well, heading out 7/8! Definitely taking notes in some of these responses!
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    It's the same as a overnight trip, But you'll fish until sunset generally the following day and get back to the dock around 600am on the 3rd morning.. Lately they have been doing a lot of night fishing for the BFT on the day you depart. Make sure you have torpedo sinkers 4-20 oz, Hooks from size #4-6/0, Some rubber bands, Flat falls and knife jigs from 250-500 grams (the more the better) If you buy the pre-rigged ones, make sure they have upgraded hooks on them if they come with the factory hooks or if their cheesy hooks!! Maybe throw in some small assorted egg sinkers. It seems like your ok on the rod/reel set ups, It might not be a bad idea to rent or borrow a 100-120lb set up If the big ones are around. Bring extra cash for all the Misc, Tips, fish cleaning, food/beverage tab, extra tackle, etc. It all ads up fast. Good Luck

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    Are there any go to flat falls, daiwa sk, knife jigs, mustad rip roller?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    The Glow in the dark Knife Jigs 250-300 gram for the 20-40lb fish and the 500 gram for the bigger fish, It seems the smaller fish like the smaller knife jig.

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    Good to know. Are colors of the jigs a big factor or no, just get whatever they have in stock? Should I bring a headlamp for the night bight?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Make sure the line on whatever rigs your using to drop your jigs/bait deep is marked for depth. Your odds improve dramatically when your at the right/correct depth. Skipper will tell you where you need to be.

Reactions: Low N Slow
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    FWIW my last couple trips they weren't chewing the All Glow Shimano Flat Fall jigs. I would bring a small handful (1 or 2 each) of Mustad Rip Rollers in 200, 300 & 400 Grams. In whatever color appeals to you, colors I like are Blue/Black/Pink (has a glow stripe on the back side), Lumo Polkadot or Iron Man.

Good luck! Will look forward to reading your trip report.

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Looked at Aztec, not sure if I can do that. 3 days is a big step up I would like to start off with 1.5 day and work my way up. I also have another fishing buddy with me who can’t stand trips over 2 days. I’ve heard good things about tribute, I have looked into other boats, not much to offer

ChoeMan
    ChoeMan
    when I was younger I can rough it out now that I’m older I like big LR boats that have good food and staterooms youlol have fun on the Tribute especially if Buzz is running the boat
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    My other options are a 1.5 day on the T bird, 1.5 on Producer or Relentless. That it I can hop on a full day and just have some fun

Saltygoose
    Saltygoose
    The Producer is a good boat the relentless is also a good boat. My buddy went out on the Relentless last year and they got limits and a few yellows to go along with the tuna. Tight lines!!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Name
    Chris Navarro
    Boat Name
    The Royal Star/ Thunderbird
    I have caught a ridiculous amount of fish on Colt Snipers! They don't even have to be from Shimano. Replacethe treble hooks with better quality ones. Blue and chrome with the Sardine dots. 100 and 120 grams. Give 'em a cast and let them sink out. 10-20 seconds at most if on the anchor. Longer if you wish offshore. Scream those back to the boat. No better feeling than when they hit it! You all of a sudden can't wind.

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    I have caught a ridiculous amount of fish on Colt Snipers! They don't even have to be from Shimano. Replacethe treble hooks with better quality ones. Blue and chrome with the Sardine dots. 100 and 120 grams. Give 'em a cast and let them sink out. 10-20 seconds at most if on the anchor. Longer if you wish offshore. Scream those back to the boat. No better feeling than when they hit it! You all of a sudden can't wind.
    Did they change the name to current snipers? I keep seeing them as current snipers however when I went in to bob sands box name still says coltsnipers

Upvote 0

Jeff Hannah

HALIMOTO
    Sep 9, 2016
    Hb
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    Deez Knots
    Fish labs stick bait works just as good and come with upgraded hooks but colts sniper sardine is my fav stick bait caught most foamers on that last year

Reactions: 1Matthew
    Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Just purchased a crimson red nomad steamer in 200 grams, do you think this will be too light? I also have a couple flat falls in 300 and 250 grams

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    The 200 gram crt streaker came in, it’s a little small I’m thinking of getting if I can find any, rip rollers in heavier sizes. Any know where I can get these online?

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Here are the reels I plan to bring and what I think I should use em for. Curious what y’all think
    Penn fathom 40NLD2-60-80lb Could you use it for night jigs?
    Fathom 25NSD-30-40
    Daiwa sealine x30sha- 25-30lb
    Avet MXL 6/4- 40-50lb
    Avet HX5/2-MC- 50-60

Reactions: redhammer
    Upvote 0

redhammer

Aug 5, 2008
    Peoria/Az./USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    Here are the reels I plan to bring and what I think I should use em for. Curious what y’all think
    Penn fathom 40NLD2-60-80lb Could you use it for night jigs?
    Fathom 25NSD-30-40
    Daiwa sealine x30sha- 25-30lb
    Avet MXL 6/4- 40-50lb
    Avet HX5/2-MC- 50-60

should work...

I run the 40nld2 with straight 80lb braid to a 200lb line swivel jig leader for night stuff

Upvote 0