SoCalKing

Fishin Fool
Jul 4, 2014
Menifee,CA
Name
Noah
Boat
18ft Team Baja Center Console
Ok guys, I was wondering how you get a perfectly straight line when putting finish on. Do you guys use blue tape or just free hand? I did the first coat last night and I got a little shakey with the brush and the line is a little farther out than I want. Should I shave it off with a razor and do my second coat with tape? Or just try to make it as straight as possible with the second coat?Thanks
image.jpg

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Masking tape works well. Before you apply the finish, tape off everything and leave pull tag on the tape. Come back after you a done with the other guides and then pull all the tabs then (don't waste your pot life messing around with the tape). I did this a couple times successfully.

Now I just power spin really quickly and hold the brush as steady as I can.

Also, i only do the edges once on the final coat of finish, every other time (usually twice) I'm concerned with getting the thread covered and clean even finish on the guide wraps.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
Upvote 0

SoCalKing

Fishin Fool
Jul 4, 2014
Menifee,CA
Name
Noah
Boat
That's another problem I have. I don't have a power wrapper so I have to spin it by hand. And I will do the masking tape method tonight. Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I apply my finish by hand rotating also. After the finish is applied and I have let it set for a minute and removed any excess finish from the bottom of the guide I take a small piece of cloth and fold it into a small square about 1"x1". Put a small amount of denatured alcohol on the cloth then hold the cloth about 1/16" from the end of the wrap as you spin the blank around 3 or 4 times. With a little practice it should give you nice smooth edges. On the rod in the picture I would just let the next coat extend a little farther then the first coat and smooth up the edge.

Upvote 0

SoCalKing

Fishin Fool
Jul 4, 2014
Menifee,CA
Name
Noah
Boat
So I just did the masking tape method and the flex coat ran under the tape. I don't know if it was bad tape or what. But I ran a cloth with acetone on the edges of it to try and clean it as best I could. Definitely not the best it could look but it is what it is. I will post pics on a new thread tomorrow of the full blank. Thanks guys

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
you need to press the tape down really hard so you don't get the bleed under...

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Use your lathe. There is positively no reason to apply your finish on a drying motor if you own a rod lathe. Make sure your rod is centered and with it spinning quickly, push your finish just past the threads onto the blank and it'll be pretty close to perfectly square.

xFevcYsl.png

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Ahh...I didn't catch that.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Masking tape pulled tight.The blue tape works but not as well.Use 3M tape,not the cheap stuff.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I apply finish on a drying motor (12rpm?) and my edges come out dead straight. What I do it coat the thread, then push the excess epoxy from the thread to the edge of the wrap and steady my hand by putting my pinky down on the blank if that makes sense. Hold still until the bead of epoxy has gone around a couple times then level it.

Works for me, I would invest in a small motor, makes it infinitely easier Imo. Less than $15 on Amazon if you make it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0