Finger Bankin - Epic Goldfishing

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Northeastfshman, Dec 30, 2016.

1. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Did a little research and it seems like Mexican rockfish should have black webbing on their pectoral fins. This one doesn't. I'm not an expert on the topic, which is mainly why I didn't the research in the first place, but it seems that it's missing a key piece of identifying evidence. Also I couldn't find record of a Mexican rockfish nearly that large in any literature. After reading though I could not find a better fish it could be either lol.

Either way (and most importantly) sweet catch!

2. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    How could you guys handle the slop? I mean jeez! It sure looked rough out there at the upper finger bank. :D

3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    The reds in the photo I posted were taken a couple years ago on the 1/2 day redondo special that was offloading on the pier...(that's scotts son in the photo)...after many many years fishin the same areas everyday Eric has a few legal spots that can produce like that under the right conditions and only fishes em a couple times a year...your lookin at one guys limit in the photo as there were many more fish that size caught that day...
    I'm sure there are many known and unknown spots up and down the coast and if you spend the time lookin it can pay off big locally...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    That's a slug!!!

Great times guys, excellent fishing!

Brett keep working out front, there's some really good spots very close to home. Wind from 270 is money on the local stuff.

5. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I was never even aware of "Mexican Rockfish" thanks for the heads up guys. I caught and odd looking red the first year I lived here. I sent it to Jason asking him if it was a cow cod (looked closer to that than a red) and Jason came back that it was a red. I'm guessing now it was a Mexican Rockfish. Either way a big bottom critter.

Yup have plenty of stones out front and to your point it's all slope rockfish stuff so the direction of the drift is key. I have found that stuff moves around a bit.

Box is usually so consistent and solid that I stopped fishing the stuff out front. There is so much hard bottom down there it's insane but the last two years it just hasn't produced like normal.

To bag we can't fish any of it till March Joe!

Hope you had an awesome holiday season!

26grumpy likes this.
  6. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Ali went rockfishing??? That's crazy talk.

Nice job on the rockies you guys! Grilled some ling last night myself.

On a side note, drop the 8-10oz leadheads with 9" swimmy's when you can't get macs. If there are lings around, they will hammer them.

j

Northeastfshman and Ali like this.
  7. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I remember you telling me this scrib. I'm going to add it to the tool box for the next trip. I've always done really well with large grubs in the past.

Where do you get heads that heavy?

8. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

I remember you telling us that on the boat and I see all your/other people reports up nothing crushing them on that stuff. I gave it whirl local here in Dana but didn't find any bitters. Could have simple been a lack of lings as we only got a few small ones for the day.

Ali Hogans has some I'll grab some on my way down next time.

9. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Lately I've been getting them from Dat aka Marzocchi. He makes them up to 12oz, possibly bigger and they work for really good with big swimmys when dropping in 200-300ft plus for big lings. He's been letting me try them out and they work perfectly. Hopefully he starts selling them soon so people can get them from him. :hali_olutta:

I'll be in SD in the next week or so, I'll bring some down for you to try out. Check your phone soon.

Check this link as well for the set-up. You may have already seen it,

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/what-is-you-fav-color-plastic-for-lings.645125/

j

PS. I still got tuna from our October trip. :hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

10. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I've never used them myself, but have also personally seen them work. Big lingcod seem to want them while small lingcod not so much, so it's one way to not catch the small, illegal fish that you get a lot with live bait.

11. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    You can also dropshot those big swimbaits with a 12-16 oz torpedo sinker and long shank hook. It works well.