Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
It was time for our annual Finger Bankin trip on the Jihad. Ali and I looked at the weather and decided to go on Thursday 12/29. Rory from Traeger joined us and made some of the best Pollo Asada I've ever had the pleasure of eating, Mexico included, on his Traeger. Freaking epic! Thanks Rory.

The weather was simple unreal. 75, sheet glass calm..little to no swell. Never ever gets old being on a boat in December in that kind of weather.

We really like to target bigger lings and reds of this trip so the first order of the day was making macs. We found nothing in the bay after several spots so we headed down to the IB Flats were there was all the macs you could want but they were all tiny 3" baits no matter how many different schools we tried. With enough bait in the tank and unable to find bigger macs we decided to head down to the bank.

On the way down about 5 miles short of the bank we came up on a ton of bait birds etc... we slowed down to see if metered any YT. We didn't but found some new rocks in 280' and decided to give those a whirl before heading down the bank.

Rory and I started with jigs and it was instant. Rory caught one of the better Chucklheads I've seen on a mint 6x.

IMG_5941.JPG

We continued to catch Chuckleheads on the jigs

IMG_5938.JPG

Surprisingly baits weren't getting touched.

After a few drifts we headed to the bank.

Rory once again got things started with a SLUG red on the jigs
IMG_5939.JPG

This continued for the rest of the day. The grade of the reds was awesome. We did get some ling nothing special. We had two monsters that we got half way up only to have them charge the bottom and break us off.
IMG_5945.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

The fish continued to respond to the jigs WAY better than bait almost all day until about 3.

Ali hooked up on Bait on a good heavy fish. When we saw the spot of Orange come up we both said Holy Shit at the same time. This was by far the biggest red I've ever seen. It dwarfed the 5-7lb fish we had been catching.

catching.
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_5942.JPG
IMG_5943.JPG

That's the top of a 110 quart yeti and the pics still don't do the thing justice. I've seen a lot of big fish hit the deck of the Jihad. I've never seen Ali stare in shock at a fish like he did with this red. Really really cool to see that dinosaur.

About 4 we pulled the plug with limits of good fish and were back in the slip around 5:30.

IMG_5944.JPG

such a fun trip. Excited for fish and chips tonight!

Thanks Ali sick as always!!!!

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
nice job great to see that kind of weather.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Seeing that piece of iron hang from that Chucklehead tells me everything, absolutely awesome quality fishing.

Reactions: sealskinner

salty nuts

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
Could be wrong but that sure doesn't look like a red.. Blackgill Mexican rockfish is what it looks like to me..

Foss

Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
Amazing trip, photos, and write-up, but that was so last year!

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Holy crud. That water looked awesome. Was it tough wearing socks and shoes while fishing? Probably wasn't any current to deal with either. You guys really have to rough it down there :)

Nice haul! Way to get it done.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
It's a vermillion. Or red. My buddy is a skipper in Alaska. We went to a spot that he only lets customers whack two drops!! Almost always get pigs around that size. Very old old fish like 70. They get really red and black hues in red. Almost like black gill!! Nice Fish!!

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
See about one fish that size every other trip to Channel Islands and San Nicholas. I'm sure there are many in the deep water where we can't fish, but they are indeed rare where we can fish. You have to know the area.

Rabid Fish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Mexican rockfish, Sebastes macdonaldi

It's a vermillion. Or red. My buddy is a skipper in Alaska. We went to a spot that he only lets customers whack two drops!! Almost always get pigs around that size. Very old old fish like 70. They get really red and black hues in red. Almost like black gill!! Nice Fish!!
Dude, they don't even get vermillions in AK.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
After showing the pics to a few buddies who know waaaaay more than me about rockfish, they all think the big one was a Mexican Rockfish.

I never even knew they existed.

Tasted just like a red. :)

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Did a little research and it seems like Mexican rockfish should have black webbing on their pectoral fins. This one doesn't. I'm not an expert on the topic, which is mainly why I didn't the research in the first place, but it seems that it's missing a key piece of identifying evidence. Also I couldn't find record of a Mexican rockfish nearly that large in any literature. After reading though I could not find a better fish it could be either lol.

Either way (and most importantly) sweet catch!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
How could you guys handle the slop? I mean jeez! It sure looked rough out there at the upper finger bank. :D

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
See about one fish that size every other trip to Channel Islands and San Nicholas. I'm sure there are many in the deep water where we can't fish, but they are indeed rare where we can fish. You have to know the area.
The reds in the photo I posted were taken a couple years ago on the 1/2 day redondo special that was offloading on the pier...(that's scotts son in the photo)...after many many years fishin the same areas everyday Eric has a few legal spots that can produce like that under the right conditions and only fishes em a couple times a year...your lookin at one guys limit in the photo as there were many more fish that size caught that day...
I'm sure there are many known and unknown spots up and down the coast and if you spend the time lookin it can pay off big locally...

Last edited:

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
That's a slug!!!

Great times guys, excellent fishing!

Brett keep working out front, there's some really good spots very close to home. Wind from 270 is money on the local stuff.

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
I was never even aware of "Mexican Rockfish" thanks for the heads up guys. I caught and odd looking red the first year I lived here. I sent it to Jason asking him if it was a cow cod (looked closer to that than a red) and Jason came back that it was a red. I'm guessing now it was a Mexican Rockfish. Either way a big bottom critter.

That's a slug!!!

Great times guys, excellent fishing!

Brett keep working out front, there's some really good spots very close to home. Wind from 270 is money on the local stuff.
Yup have plenty of stones out front and to your point it's all slope rockfish stuff so the direction of the drift is key. I have found that stuff moves around a bit.

Box is usually so consistent and solid that I stopped fishing the stuff out front. There is so much hard bottom down there it's insane but the last two years it just hasn't produced like normal.

To bag we can't fish any of it till March Joe!

Hope you had an awesome holiday season!

Reactions: 26grumpy