Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
You all are not helping with it’s identity crisis, no wonder it is acting out. I am pretty sure that is a squirrel not a chipmunk.
I believe It is a Townsend's chipmunk, the largest of the 4 species in WA. I did find that all of the piles of Ramick poison were gone and had to replenish last night, so something is dying.

For some reason I can't get any camera footage of one leaving, or entering but I found another burrow on the north side of the house right at the foundation. The new camera angle outside shows both burrow sites.

I sprinkled some ground squirrel repellent all around the house. I got up at 445 and spent more than an hour out there ready to shoot, no dice. It got up at the same time I did and the only camera footage in the crawlspace shows a couple nibbles on sunflower seed near that leads into a trap. It's too dark in that crawlspace to hang out for a shot without night vision.

Maybe I should put the traps outside?? I will be putting piles of Ramik in the crawlspace soon. I'm also thinking of ways to block up the burrows.

Getting a cat may be the long term solution. The time it would take to get one acclimated doesn't make it a reasonable short term solution. I also don't think pulling the insulation down under the two baths will run it off, more like relocate it.

A24 was just ordered

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I still say squirrel as I don’t see any chipmunk coloring but footage not exactly definitive. Keep at it, victory will be yours!

B2D74062-53DE-482B-9750-A3C915503ED0.jpeg

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
And in my best Monotone voice. “The squirrel is actually part of the rodent family”.

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Time to hook a dryer hose to your cars exhaust pipe and plumb it to your crawl space. Then pitch a tent in the yard for a family campout overnight and problem solved, if that does not work then back to burning the house down. Can't wait to see how this story ends, keep the updates coming.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
One thing I know for sure is, you're gonna have to eat that fuckers heart like G. Gordon Liddy.

Perhaps it'd be best to use mechanical means rather than toxic substances!

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Alright so upon better footage Steve is correct, not chipmunk. Whatever, the F'er must die!

I only took half the advice for covering traps and covered the dual door. I put it over by where I saw the burrows outside the house. I guess the bastard doesn't go there (east side).

So, he came out for about 8 minutes just before 2pm. I am at work receiving notices. He likes sunflower seeds. I will put down no more and if he wants any more he will have to enter a trap. Ramick poison will be applied nearby the trap with no cover within camera range.

New strategy for tomorrow at 530am. Put KISW blaring in the crawlspace here shortly. I plan to have a strobe going all night long too. At 5am I have a seat with the rifle behind the strobe and the radio. If it comes out and sits for a few seconds I might get a trigger pull (if I can focus lol).

We shall see what effect the change in environment has on its routine.

Can i please go fishing soon!!!!!

Attachments

Reactions: The Peddler

keithsalmon

I killed a fish and I liked it
May 28, 2012
buckley, WA USA
Name
keith board
Boat
The Kimberly Marie
You have to remain calm and vigilant, these critters have evolved to a higher level than we give them credit. THEY KNOW THINGS MAN! I had my own epic garage battle with a rodent stealing my shrimp pellets. Took me 10 days to claim my victory. I tried everything, cheese, peanut butter, crackers. Nothing worked. I paced and plotted and went without sleep for so long it's all just a blur now. Then one night my Grandmother visited from beyond, she told me, "Bake my Christmas cookies and he will come..." So I whipped out a batch of her famous Birds Nest cookies that she first made me in about 1968, and he came to me, just like she said he would. Thanks Grandma.
dead rat.jpg

The Peddler

You should have been here yesterday!
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Well, I’m now in a similar spot. Two young chipmunks (definitely chipmunks) in my master bedroom. Wife heard them in the wall where we have a pocket door. One of the speedy little devils got away from me, and his whereabouts are currently unknown. The other one is still in the door pocket.

OceanSun

Captain
Mar 26, 2013
Snohomish WA
Name
Dan Meyer
Boat
Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
Our cat brings us dead critters like that - highly recommend! Wife was pissed when she started bringing in cute but dead baby rabbits though.

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Our cat brings us dead critters like that - highly recommend! Wife was pissed when she started bringing in cute but dead baby rabbits though.
Yup
I never had a problem until the old clawed killer past away summer before last. I loved that cat. He would leave me rabbit guts and moles at the back porch. This would have been childs play for him.
RIP Grey kitty! (I never was good at names)

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
I’m allergic to cats, but the idea is growing on my.

Status update: one down, one to go. Caught the one of “unknown whereabouts.” He was in the curtain, got him with a bucket and lid. Other one still in the door pocket. He peeked into the trap, then backed out. I added mini marshmallows, turned out the lights, and left the room. Hopefully he’s a sugar fiend. He should be hungry, he’s been there for at least two days.

Reactions: Nineball

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Just got #2! He’s a stinking Houdini! Somehow he got past the metal mesh I used to funnel him into the trap. Being he was about 3 feet from where I was sleeping, I heard him. Grabbed my bucket and lid, and scooped him up!

These little guys sure aren’t very smart. I don’t think I would have had the same luck with adult chipmunks. I released them both 100+ yards away from the house. Hopefully they’ll live to tell their buddies their alien abduction story, if they’re big enough to survive out there.

Now I gotta figure out how momma got in to hatch these little varmints.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I am disappointed that there are no slaughter videos yet from either of you guys.

And I would prefer the tune Yakety Sax (Benny Hill theme song) as musical accompaniment.

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
When you do get them, put their heads on pikes as a warning to any others that might come by.
I released them both 100+ yards away from the house. Hopefully they’ll live to tell their buddies their alien abduction story, if they’re big enough to survive out there..
Unless you released them into a hole and then filled it with dirt, they probably beat you back to your house!

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I believe mine may have ended. I sat in the crawlspace for over an hour this morning before work. I exited and discharged the pellet. As I turned around the dam thing was outside the house on the south side. It was looking through a vent, trying to figure out why KISW was cranked up:D. I quickly reloaded as it went up a tree.

One shot takedown. We all know what a dead squirrel looks like so I didn't march into the scotchbroom to retrieve it. I only hope it was the only one that found out how to gain access. I did move the trap outside on the south side. The poison is being eaten up daily. I guess since the old cat past away the beginnings of overpopulation have made an appearance. I will continue the fight from the outside with poison, traps, and the A24 when it arrives.

Bring on a late June neah trip! After that my hunt for an extinct species will ensue...

Even though there are no TUNA in WA I will Dam sure try!!!!!

Cheers
:cheers:

Last edited:

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Well crap. Now what are we supposed to do until June 26th?

Reactions: Calis and One_Leg