Finding Catalina yellows

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
I am an intermediate angler going to Catalina this August. I am renting a boat and taking it to Catalina weather permitting. I am taking my brother who is visiting from Portland and our goal is to land a couple yellows. I have caught yellows there before, but if they don’t find us, what do you guys think is the best method for finding them? I know to look for current, bait, and birds, but what techniques do you guys use to actively search them out? Trolling sardines/macs, trolling stick baits? Would love some input from my knowledgeable BD brethren.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I am an intermediate angler going to Catalina this August. I am renting a boat and taking it to Catalina weather permitting. I am taking my brother who is visiting from Portland and our goal is to land a couple yellows. I have caught yellows there before, but if they don’t find us, what do you guys think is the best method for finding them? I know to look for current, bait, and birds, but what techniques do you guys use to actively search them out? Trolling sardines/macs, trolling stick baits? Would love some input from my knowledgeable BD brethren.
in August , most of the Boats fish of the West end,
for A reason.

Reactions: woodfish330

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Might try asking this question when you get a week or so away from the trip. Fish change their eating habits all the time. Wait and see what they’re keyed in on at the time of your trip. Way too soon to ask this, unless you just looking for generic techniques.

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
Might try asking this question when you get a week or so away from the trip. Fish change their eating habits all the time. Wait and see what they’re keyed in on at the time of your trip. Way too soon to ask this, unless you just looking for generic techniques.
Understood. Just looking for a few basic techniques. Not worried about what they are eating at the moment. Just wondering if anyone has any tried and true techniques that they employ when searching for yellows.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Erik Lansfield did a whole write up on this very subject like a year or two ago. Might be possible to find it in his archives

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
LESSON LEARNED...."RECON"...

In the early 70's learned some valuable lessons going down the baja peninsula. Yeah we brought a boat and all the gear.... but where and how were our big questions as well. When you come down the hill and see the Sea of Cortez for the first time.....it's overwhelming. We read, planned, bought. ..everything we needed.... to look like "crazy gringos" without a clue.

Long story short....fished the first 3 days with little to show for it. Day 4.... found a pangero and went out with him on his boat. Watched.... asked questions.... noted where (triangulation)... and fished our butts off. Did well that day. But the "recon" was what we really needed. My dad was pissed. ..why pay? We have our own boat he said!

The next day....armed with fresh "recon info".... we kicked butt!! So.... like my BD brothers said above....The week before ask here. Second... It's okay to hit the 1 day boat the day before you want to go... money well spent (yellowtail class). Its expensive to rent a boat.... pay for gas.... drive all over the "Big Blue Desert" trying to impress your guests with your knowledge... or lack thereof.

Third....radio info that's "shared" with those in your group. Dont have one.... get started. Fourth.... it's okay....to watch and listen to what the Sportboats are doing... but if you did your "recon" the day before, you'll already know... where to start and what worked yesterday.

Remember.....boater etiquette.... never EVER come too close.... come in too fast.... run through their chum line. You don't want to be THAT GUY!

Just a few suggestions... to make your trip a memorable one.... With the "desired results"! Good luck! Don't forget the squid and the iron! :-)
:jig:

Last edited:

DanaYakAngler

Jan 8, 2019
RSM
Name
Mike
Boat
Pro Angler 12
Thank you guys for all the information, so very helpful. I don't want to be the guy asking for secrets, asking for numbers, just looking for pointers and techniques that I haven't heard about. I know its a bit of a stretch asking 6 months before a trip as conditions and the bite evolve throughout the season. Trying to learn and do some "recon" to build up the skills before the real observation time starts. Thanks!

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
No problem brother. Although at times we're a little "questionable"....lol, we want you to do well when your brother shows up. Most of your BD brothers will be here when the time comes. So do the "recon"..... bone up on your skills.....and that YOU TUBE video mentioned above is excellant. Tight lines!

yakmandan

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Try to find a boat ho spot going to Catalina and learn from someone who goes there often just don't tell anyone about their secret spots