Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Was out with the wife and girls last Saturday. We trolled from east possession over toward Browns Bay. Not too much action for a while, but a nice day. We were in the middle away from most of the boats.

After a bit, I commented to the kids that we hadn't seen much wildlife yet, and to watch for interesting things in the water (porpoise, seals, etc) to stave off their boredom.

A few minutes later we spied a peregrine falcon in hot pursuit of a goldfinch across the water. The maneuverability of these two birds was amazing as the darted back and forth coming closer and closer to the boat. Finally, the birds were right off our stern and the finch decided to use our boat as an escape route. He flew in the back door of the pilothouse, nailed me in the head, and then darted out the side window. The falcon dove after it, but stopped outside, hovered at the door for a few moments, and then peeled away from the boat.

Needless to say, this caused quite a commotion on board as multiple people and kids were screaming and diving for cover as the birds came through. It definitely snapped the girls out of their boredom.

Oh, a few minutes later two coho committed suicide so we called it quits and went to the zoo. Sometimes catching the fish isn't the exciting part.

image.jpg

Tim

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
Awesome Tim! Just getting out opens the possibility to a great adventure!

Did the girls watch dad chum the waters?:-)

Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Ha ha Chris! No, chumming is only my tuna tactic. I don't bother to do that for just salmon.

mtotemeier

Captain Caaveman!
Mar 2, 2011
Poulsbo wa usa
Name
Marcus
Boat
World CAT 266 SC "The Big Butt"
A great story!

Jiff

Jun 30, 2009
Lynnwood, Anacortes WA
www.flickr.com
Name
Jeff
Boat
'95 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2655
Great story alright. Reminds of the time we were trolling herring and hooked one of those diving birds. By the time we got him loose he was so traumatized he scrambled into the cabin where my wife was sleeping. Quite a wake-up call. Fishing Friday near the Shipwreck and saw a seagull grab a little fish with his beak.

swiveljig

Dec 29, 2011
Moxee Washington USA
Name
Kirk Poeggel
Boat
Sea Squirt - 22' '79 Cruisers Inc. Barnegat
That's awesome, probably a little scary for you, but awesome!

windyridgeranch

El Capitan - M/V Cast Away
Sep 28, 2009
Snohomish/WA
Name
Karen
Boat
33' Wellcraft Coastal "Cast Away"
How cool for the kids! We sometimes get little birds resting on the boat if they get lost in the fog. Never had a cool experience like you did though!