woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Although they are one of the most muscular fish.... and have what seems like an never ending amount of stamina.... they have a very soft mouth. Hook setting is difficult. ...With the timing being everything. Too deep....sawed off! Too shallow.....pulled the hook. It takes talent...patience. ...and knowing your gear and adjusting your personal pulling power appropriately. Many fish lost during the drawn out battle from excessive "line drag" in the water. Boat handling skills.....paramount. As with ALL difficult fish.....angler and skipper must work like fingers in a glove. Have seen many an angler who spend hours "finessing" that fish..... only to lose it at the boat. I have a question...."J" hook? "Circle" hook? Combo?

That's what makes you a "2 Percent" angler brother! All the preparations...and the skill! (A little luck is great too).

Last edited:

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Nice job. How much drag can you put on these fish?
Most guys back east start at around 25 lbs to set the hook and see if it has a good hookset. They would rather lose it in the first 5 minutes and get back to fishing than an hour or two into the fight. Then after 5 to 10 minutes they loosen up to 15 to 16 lbs.

giggs huang

Sardine Killer
Feb 2, 2017
Southern California
www.instagram.com
Name
Giggs Huang
Boat
N/A
Although they are one of the most muscular fish.... and have what seems like an never ending amount of stamina.... they have a very soft mouth. Hook setting is difficult. ...With the timing being everything. Too deep....sawed off! Too shallow.....pulled the hook. It takes talent...patience. ...and knowing your gear and adjusting your personal pulling power appropriately. Many fish lost during the drawn out battle from excessive "line drag" in the water. Boat handling skills.....paramount. As with ALL difficult fish.....angler and skipper must work like fingers in a glove. Have seen many an angler who spend hours "finessing" that fish..... only to lose it at the boat. I have a question...."J" hook? "Circle" hook? Combo?

That's what makes you a "2 Percent" angler brother! All the preparations...and the skill! (A little luck is great too).

Well said. I wouldn't go trying if I see this post before my trip lol. I think I'm just too lucky :ele:

79538943_10157986833268417_3049447048110669824_o.jpg

Reactions: woodfish330

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Tree
Boat
iWish
wow man that is some fish, absolutely epic!!!

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Nice work!

How about some details and not just a pic?

Where? When? Depth? Bait?

If we want to target these awesome fish we need to share. Right now we are all drifting and praying.
Ali.....Notice all the "desire" in this thread? BD should use their vast network and resources to put together a seminar...A series of videos..... on swordfish....and advanced swordfishing.....WEST COAST STYLE. BELIEVE IT WOULD BE WELL ATTENDED. Just saying..... allot of enthusiasm and desire here. Wanna know for sure....just start a thread. ...and ask. Just my thoughts....

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
Very nice work, these fish are amazing.

Yeh , there around...met a young man last week who went deep dropping the first time ever, and boated a 215. Had pics to prove it . Got the fish in 45m., 300lb
Leader. ... he went with his buddy. Who got one the
Trip before. But he wasn't giving anything up beyond that.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Swordfishing...technique.... special equipment.... When, where, and why....are always "mumblings". There is so much "who-do in the Voodoo".....that most who have put their time / money / effort are very guarded about what they say....and to whom.

Because they are so tough....so difficult..... so solitary... and of course not as prolific as tuna....sharing info has never been a "public" thing. Some may be offended... but I'm being quite truthful. Connections with commercial "stickboat" Skippers is a great place to start. It works both ways....my BD brothers. As you share by calling each other on the radio / cell with "bite" locations.....they too are listening. Try it!! Gotta "break in" that NEW code group anyway. One last thing......ALWAYS.....ALWAYS give them enough room. Because of the gear they use....and the unpredictability of an angry swordfish. Just my thoughts....

Reactions: ripped

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Fishermen with pilots licenses can find swords in daylight... if you find enough of them for long enough, patterns start to emerge. For every one you see sunning, there’s many more you’ll never see. Become real familiar with ocean current charts and you’ll figure out how to fish the structure you’ll find down deep in that area. Remember, surface currents and currents at the deep scattering layer can bear no resemblance to each other.
Also, fish a buoy rod in addition to your tip setup..

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Lifting the "curtain".....is all about research first. Eventually all the pieces will start to fall in place. Patience....money. ...desire....A boat.... and luck.... All help considerably. The tools are so much better....and more comprehensive now, compared to even 20 years ago. Sonar.....lidar.... bird radar....side scanners.....have made great strides....With 3D mapping showing details only divers could see. Seek those who know my BD brothers..... As always....be safe out there!

Reactions: Pacific Jigger