pimpintackle

Pimp of Tackle
May 19, 2005
San Diego
Name
Big Red
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 / 165 Hyrda-Sport / Scupper Classic
Last year, with the relatively few wahoo caught I remember thinking wow if it's like the old timers say and next year might be an even more extreme el nino, I'd love a chance for a real wahoo fishery, or at least a little better shot at one.

So it comes true; this year for the first time in CA history we actually had what I would refer to as a legitimate wahoo fishery; and I became pretty obsessed.

I had some marauders tucked away in an xtratuf box from 7-10 years ago when I went on my last 10 day trip. (Slow trip, no wahoo, 5 or 6 cow tuna, that's it) So I got some of those out and then got a couple new smaller ones too. I'd pulled the smaller ones around in a spread of 2 marauders, 1 catchy tackle spinner troller thing that was hot pink and about 10 inches long and a zuker 3.5 in green or black or purple and black depending on the day. I pulled this spread for 4 weeks. During these 4 weeks I adjusted speeds between 7.5 to 10.5 knots, I adjusted the marauders' length behind the boat, I adjusted trolling direction and blah blah blah blah. Seems like every variable to try to tune into these elusive skinnys.

I work in the industry and a lot of people by this time knew that I was eating and sleeping a wahoo obsession; so it seemed that pretty much any times someone caught one, it was texted to me or a video was sent or an instagram screen shot or something! It was funny. Kind of.

So two weeks ago I decided to drop in the larger of the marauders, I had this orange tony the tiger colored one. Pulled it on 3 occasions; once on a crew trip on one of our local 6 pack boats and twice on my boat. Nada.

So Monday, 10/26/2015, my normal day off of work, a buddy and I leave out of Mission Bay with a plan of west and working north. Water temp was 73. Weather was nice, really nice, so we bent it south a little and started around the lower 9 kind of working our way north zig zagging from the front drop to the back. Water was nice and blue and had warmed up on the backside to a little over 74 and change. Found some flying fish and was pretty confident. So far it seemed like a lot of the other days I'd put it in the last 6 weeks. Everything looks right, just no bites yet.

So we work our way north to about the middle of the 9 and decide to jump over to the 100 fathom curve for the last leg up before turning east into MB. BAM! About halfway between the 9 and the curve the clicker goes off right next to the helm. It looked foreign. That rod's not supposed to be bent like that; it hasn't been bent like that in over a month, weird.

We had made a plan prior to hooking this fish so actually everything stayed pretty calm on the boat. We kept moving forward at about 3 knots, my buddy got all the other rods cleared and the thing was coming straight to the boat with constant, slow and steady tension. I'm thinking 'is this an open water dorado or something, I thought these things were supposed to take off'; then it did! A nice 40 yard run on some pretty heavy drag on 80# XXX. Awesome fish. Two more runs and the thing was stuck and in the boat. Excellent gaff shot by my buddy and I think we let out some yells that Point Loma probably turned their head to.

It's been a long time since I felt that rush of emotions over a fish. It was great. I feel like one more fish of a lifetime in my catalog now. Their are a buch of overused sayings to capture this day, but it was really like 'hard work' if you can call it that, paid off. 'Put your time in' and all that stuff. All I know is we did put our time in and it did pay off. Awesome.

So we box the area for another half hour and had moved our 'beer ice' into 'fish ice' and decided let's just get this thing home and cut while it's still prime. I can cut a fish pretty well, but I'm thinking this thing is gold, I want it done perfectly, I'm going to just walk it up the dock to Sportsman's Seafoods for processing. They're closed. I had access to a walk in freezer so we wheeled it in there in a dock cart for about 15 mins to kind of get the fish to a real nice consistency for cutting. Weighed it; 38 and change. Wow, thought it looked bigger lol. Perfect.

So we wheel it back down to the boat and throw it up on the next door neighbor's dock box for cutting. He was nice enough to clear it off and even leave his knife out. I'd never tried one of the bubba bladeds before so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The knife was nice, cut half the fish and I was actually pretty proud of the fillet job so far. Wahoo turn out to be pretty easy to cut. We bagged half of it and put them on ice. We flip the thing over and my buddy has the hose out to kind of spray down the dock box for this next side of the fish. I take one step back so I don't get all wet. LIKE THE AWWWW INSPIRING DAVID BLANE OR WHATEVER MAGICIAN, THE GOD DAMN WAHOO DISAPPEARS! In a blink of an eye that fish is gone! The profanity starts flying, people are coming out of their nearby sailboats and my buddy and I are paralyzed for a second. I grab a long gaff off the nearest boat and my buddy is kicking off his sandals to jump in the water.

We then got to witness about a 500#, cute, cuddly, protected California Sea Lion eat half of our prized possession. He loved it. It was the tastiest fish that f&c*&^% fur ball has ever eaten in his life. It took every bit of good decision making skill in my body to not stick that dog with the gaff in my hand.

Sad right? Pissed off right? Ehhh.. Whatever. We caught it. We caught our unicorn. We caught it leaving a San Diego port in California waters. I was too happy to be too mad. Ten minutes pass, all you can do at this point is laugh. The ending adds a great conclusion to this story when I tell it for years to come.

I have a feeling in true BD fashion, I will be told how stupid it was to filet this thing on a dock box and blah blah blah. I get it. That wasn't the point of this post. I just wanted to share how gratifying this was to finally put a check in this box and thought you guys could get a good laugh too.

One of the first things my wife ways when I got home. 'Congratulations! I'm so glad you got it! Does this mean you're going to quit being an asshole?' Apparently this last couple months' quest has consumed me even more than I realized hahah. Here are a few pictures.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Dustin! You dog you! Glad you got to check the box! I'm still working for mine & hers. (She's a little obsessed you might say) Will & Chica Dulce

Reactions: pimpintackle
    Upvote 0

C.H.U.D.

Smells like fish
    Aug 8, 2014
    Name
    c.d chudomelka
    Boat
    Bluewater 23T CC Twin suzukis 175
    Wheres the last picture ?
    The one with the other half of your trophy in that f---n dogs mouth lol.
    Great story, wish the ending worked out better for ya.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Always, it is a tendency to blame the victim of theft--"you should have done this, or not done that" but fact is, you did nothin wrong--the thief did. And you got some of the great fillets, oh well. And thanks for posting, gives us who are going out in the next few days encouragement they are still out there.

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    Nice work!!! Great story!!!! Man you got every single gram of meat off that one side....good job!!!

Reactions: Bottom Line
    Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 5, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    DAVID
    Boat
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    by far the best story of the year! congrats..........

Reactions: pimpintackle
    Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Crazy and good, enjoy the best part for eats and congrats on the catching!

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    None
    Way to go on the Wahoo! A seal is like a criminal next to your boat if you have a fish just waiting for the opportunity to rob you as well!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    "The rush of emotions over a fish".:devil:

Upvote 0

pimpintackle

Pimp of Tackle
    May 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Big Red
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 / 165 Hyrda-Sport / Scupper Classic
    Thanks for all the cool comments you guys.

That's a crazy video of that orca sending the fur bag into orbit!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
    Apr 5, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Wow, both excited for you and bummed for you at the same time and I think we saw you out there on Monday. Congrats on your catch.

Upvote 0