Smartaxe

Almost A Member
Dec 18, 2011
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
Koy Wilson
Boat Name
2003 Robalo 235
So I got my boat a few years back and rather than trying to dive into fishing everything, I'd focus on one fishery at a time. Let me say that I don't really have anyone that helped teach me to fish Saltwater. I'm learning most of what I "know" from here, and a few local guys in Santa Cruz who must be tired of watching me suck. I started with rockfish, then moved to Halibut. Last year I put downriggers on with the hopes of Salmon, but caught none last year.

Went out Sunday 4/9 in front of Pajaro and fished all day but only got one shaker. Got some intel later that day that the fish had moved north a bit. The weather was nice Monday but I had honey-do's so I was set for Tuesday. I had to be back at work in the valley for a few days starting Wednesday, so even know the weather window was small I went for it. We were supposed to have good weather till 10 before the wind blew.

I went out alone at 6:30 and had a line in by 7. There was a small pack out there but I found a little room. Within a few minutes a had a good bite. Fought the fish for about 30 seconds and then broke off. The line broke above the flasher so the only thing I could think was I tied a shitty knot. That was a first for me and it sucked that I lost everything, flasher and hoochie. FML. So I pulled out another flasher and put a spoon on. After about an hour I hooked up. Mind you Ive never caught a Salmon, so I'm basically flying by instinct and what I've read. I remembered to bring up the rigger and actually got the fish next to the boat after a couple of little runs. It looked small but I netted it and it measured out at 26". So stoked! Remembered to get my line right back in and then dealt with the fish. I had a perma-grin and could've stopped then because the weather was coming up, but then thought " fuck that" and went right back to what I was doing. On my last troll, heading to the harbor I got another bite, the fish wasn't much bigger but was a lot more fun to catch. Had my limit and headed home. At the dock by 10:30. Hands down the most rewarding fishing trip I've ever been on, due to the time and years of homework I put into it. This may not seem like s big haul to you pros but I was on cloud 9 for two days.

Thanks to a post I put on here last year I knew how to take care of the fish and things went smooth. So thanks to you guys. I enclosed a couple pics.

Thanks,
Koy
Smartaxe

IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2111.JPG

Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Feb 23, 2010
    Norcal's Brentwood
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat Name
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    Sweet, enjoyed read too. Start a log book, while things are fresh in your mind. Depth, rigging colors, troll direction when the fish hit, conditions, time of day and relation to the tide. In a short period of keeping track you'll see a pattern. Salmon seem to snap in small windows, then shut down, so It may help on the slow days. Wide open bite days everything works. After some seat time you'll know it in your head. Enjoy your bounty,,,gregg

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat Name
    2003 Robalo 235
    Sweet, enjoyed read too. Start a log book, while things are fresh in your mind. Depth, rigging colors, troll direction when the fish hit, conditions, time of day and relation to the tide. In a short period of keeping track you'll see a pattern. Salmon seem to snap in small windows, then shut down, so It may help on the slow days. Wide open bite days everything works. After some seat time you'll know it in your head. Enjoy your bounty,,,gregg
    Awesome advice Gregg, a buddy told me the same thing. Did it the other day. Started a book with different sections for every species.

Upvote 0

mckeiffer

Jan 11, 2013
    santa cruz, ca
    Name
    keith
    Boat Name
    hanta yo
    We were out today. Started a little farther north figuring we could fish south when the wind chased us. Saw a few nets. Put one in the box at 55/06 145 OTW. Had a shaker in the same area. Then hooked a crab pot. Lost both balls, terminal tackle, and 25' wire. That was it for our day

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat Name
    2003 Robalo 235
    We were out today. Started a little farther north figuring we could fish south when the wind chased us. Saw a few nets. Put one in the box at 55/06 145 OTW. Had a shaker in the same area. Then hooked a crab pot. Lost both balls, terminal tackle, and 25' wire. That was it for our day

Fuck Keith , that sucks. I sympathize with those expensive days.

Upvote 0

Smartaxe

Almost A Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Name
    Koy Wilson
    Boat Name
    2003 Robalo 235
    Fuck Keith , that sucks. I sympathize with those expensive days. Thanks for the report. Gonna try and get a few more tomorrow .

Upvote 0

davedave

Almost A Member
    Sep 16, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    26' ACB
    Dang Keith, that stinks.I've tangled with a few so far this year but have been fortunate enough to get my gear back.
    There's a lot of them out there, that's for sure.

Upvote 0