DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
Launched on Sunday morning (7/19) out of Dana Landing with Ty Ponder to make the run down the Mex Coast in search of Giants. We got down to the zone before sunrise and I nailed a 6.6 on a Big Pancho 5" Crooked Tail Swimbait right away. As the sun rose it felt like the bite would turn on but it wasn't until around 8:30 when the fish got active. We had good fishing with a lot of 3s some 4s and a couple of 5s. Ty was the hot stick for awhile catching a bunch of fish on the 5" Viejo. I opted to throw the Big Pancho Weedless Game Changer in search for some larger fish. I'm not exactly sure what it is about that bait but it calls the big fish in. Around 9:30 we hit a rocky point with a lot of wash on it. I casted out and about 25 feet from the boat it happened! A big ole boil on my bait. Both Ty and I saw it happen and I was on. The fish freight trained me to the back of the boat. She really had no chance on my 350 Okuma Komodo with 65 pound straight Izorline braid. She dogged me hard but I kept her out of the $hit. I got her to the net and Ty landed her on the deck. Ty said "She's heavy, really heavy". I said "Is she the one? Is it a 10?". I was shaking in anticipation and got her into the live well so we could get out the digital scale.

I've been chasing this rare catch for at least 5 years. I have had many heartbreaks and fish come up that looked like they could be "The One". We got her on the digi and the numbers were pointing at me....10.4! I yelled with enjoyment and handed the scale to Ty with the fish on it. Hi fives ensued and it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders...a good exciting weight. I could not believe that just happened. Ty was just as jacked as I was. It was a short but very fat fish. She only measured out at 24" but had the belly of a largemouth bass. Fishing is such an addiction and moments like this are priceless. So happy to part of the 10 pound club. Enjoy the pictures and thank you to all who said nice things on social media. TL- Matt
10.4 #1.jpg
10.4.jpg
6.6 10.4.jpg

Juny

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Congrats Matt!

Reactions: Matt Moyer

socalwhiteboy

Apr 29, 2008
Northridge
Name
James
Boat
16' lund
I knew right away with the title what you did! Congrats a ton brotha, I know you've been chasing her for a long time. I could only imagine the feeling when it tipped 10!

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Where's the 10 pounder? LOL Great job Matt! That's one hell uv a fish. The Patch is in the mail.

YlwFin

May 20, 2005
San Diego
Name
Ron
Boat
Whaler 170 & Hobie Outback
Such a cool write up Matt, Im all amped just reading the story. Congratulations again on the catch.

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Worked your butt off for that fish, congrats Matt!!

CardShark

Mar 6, 2015
Ventura, CA
Name
Mario
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
Solid Calico!! Nice job

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
I've spent hundreds of hours at Cedros, SCI, CAT and the CI's and have not broken the door on the 10# club.

I can only imagine the feeling. Congrats!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I thought you and Nick finally got married!

But this is pretty cool too.

Congrats big boy! Couldn't happen to a better dude.

fishhunter33

Nov 27, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Name
Ron
Boat
Boat less but looking
TOAD-Congrats on your quest to get a double digit bass.
You have been putting in the time and effort and it paid off big time.
You can now check that off the list.
Congrats again

Matt Moyer

DESTROYER
Aug 7, 2004
La Mesa
www.ballastpoint.com
Name
"DESTROYER"
Boat
22' Sea Fox Viper "Even Keel"
Thank you for all the replies! I especially LMFAO @cacahuates and @Ali replies.

I'm very sensitive but far from gay...Which there is nothing wrong with if that's your choice.

Its been quite a year. I got my PB in January Pre-Fishing CAT for the SWBA COC which went 8.46.
Then I upgraded a little in May with TY with a 8.6 and now this! Beyond stoked! I still have 5 months
to upgrade this 10 but chances are...I may never get another one in my life. I will relish in this one
for the time being. It felt really good to have the support of everyone in the fishing industry. Thank
you a million times over. Cheers!

bigderel

Arooroo
Nov 11, 2005
Bape Ark
Name
not Derel
Boat
Key West 210BR
Thank you for all the replies! I especially LMFAO @cacahuates and @Ali replies.

I'm very sensitive but far from gay...Which there is nothing wrong with if that's your choice.

Its been quite a year. I got my PB in January Pre-Fishing CAT for the SWBA COC which went 8.46.
Then I upgraded a little in May with TY with a 8.6 and now this! Beyond stoked! I still have 5 months
to upgrade this 10 but chances are...I may never get another one in my life. I will relish in this one
for the time being. It felt really good to have the support of everyone in the fishing industry. Thank
you a million times over. Cheers!

Last edited:

Flatinfifth

Well-Known "Member"
May 30, 2007
California
Name
Angel Sanchez-Figueras
Boat
Skeeter 21
Just stumbled unto the thread. Congrats Matt. Job well done buddy. That's a mule.
Fantastic Job. We know how much time and effort it takes for all of the planets to line up.

Angel and Al Figueras