Finally decided on boat name...

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
So my sons and I finally agreed on a boat name 3 years later....but with hundreds of boats on the water in Socal. How would I know if that name is taken? I see boats with Tight line I or II or III etc. Do I just roll with it and have a discussion with another boat if its the same name?? What are the rules if any?

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
I've seen a Tight Line LVII, so that is pretty used up and believe it or not I saw a Heinz LVII too.

• Haha
Reactions: watersdeep
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
You could call your boat anything you want even if you see other boats with same name. it’s not not auto lic. plate.
Duplicates are only a problem for documented vessels, but as long as they have different hailing ports no problem. There just can't be two boats named Tight Line with Los Angeles as their hailing port. And since the hailing port need not be where the boat is located, it is pretty easy to avoid any problem at all.

My advice: avoid cutesy names or anything that is a play on words, particularly involving words like Reel and Knot. You may think its clever, but most of the rest of the boating community thinks otherwise.

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
A good boat name should be unique and easily understood by the Coast Guard while your vhf is partly submerged.

Foxtrot Uniform is never a good choice.

Reactions: LTBOLTMAN
Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat
    1997 Trophy 2352
    go with "the dip ship"

there are probably a million boats named aquaholic

Upvote 0

jondavies

Jan 30, 2012
    Pasadena
    Name
    jon
    Boat
    Sea Ox
    Somebody once told me about a guy who named his boat the May Day. They said after his first broadcast, the CG hailed him and told him to pick another name. Total hearsay and quite possibly BS.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Thanks for replies my sons are in their early 20's and think a name would be "sick". I didnt really care if named or not but happy crew happy life.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    You never said what name you are going with?

Upvote 0