Final report 2018

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by _dayday, Dec 31, 2018.

1. _dayday

_dayday Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
    Headed out Saturday am from Dana Landing around 6. Off to la jolla and flat calm seas. Started on some early spots around 160ft and was only pulling up smaller whitefish till my brother got hit on his drop. Pulled up a nice legal ling and then it slowed down after that. Decided to fish the kelp for calico. Had a few smaller ones before deciding we wanted some taco meat. Headed north to torrey pines/delmar.

Got to a spot around 140ft and some structure and marks but once again just whitefish. We wanted to find the reds so I started searching for some deeper marks. After cruising around for about 30 min I found a spot in 230ft that had fish stacked 30 feet from the bottom and made some drops. Instant double hookup on strips of squid. Pull them up and had two solid reds on. One of them spit up some red crabs once he hit the deck so my brother threw one of those on and dropped it down. Again instant hook up. We proceed to make 3 drifts for about 15 fish before getting a call from a buddy that he found a paddy not too far off holding yellows.

With no bait we headed out and tried to see if we could get them to go with squid. Found the paddy, yellows charged the boat, they wouldn't bite. we stayed there for about 30 min throwing everything we could to try to get them to bite but no luck. We were about 8 miles off blacks. We head back to the barn and check a few paddies on the way in. We found a massive paddy and took a peek and saw a sea turtle tangled up in the kelp. I always keep a mask and snorkel on board and started to take my shirt of when I hit the gas to turn around and it scared him enough to get free! Super stoked I didnt have to jump in. Either way, nice way to finish out the year!

2. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    nice of you to even be willing to jump in

_dayday likes this.
  3. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice job Dylan!

_dayday likes this.
  4. chachi10

chachi10 Newbie

Name:
    Chachi
    Boat:
    None
    Nice report! I went down to the islands yesterday and fished for yellows. Caught 2 over 20 and lost a few to dogs/hooks pulling. Tady 4/0 scrambled egg did the trick. Fish were caught under birds that werent actively on the hunt. Caught a few MONSTER bonito over 10 lbs as well on the yoyo which was a first for me.

_dayday likes this.
  5. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Turtle's like... "dude, put your shirt back on!"

_dayday likes this.
  6. _dayday

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Thanks man! Just trying to catch up to you!

longboard85 likes this.
  7. _dayday

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Thought about hitting the islands. Decided to stay local. Guess I should of went for the islands haha.

8. _dayday

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    Sounds about right! I'd do the same thing if I saw me coming in without my shirt.

9. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    That works!