Fin-Nor Reel Deal

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
Stumbled across this deal and thought I'd share it with the brotha's.

They're throwing in a Fin-Nor Marquesa free with the purchase of a Fin-Nor Santiago. I've never used the Fin-Nor's, but it seems to me a free $250+ reel with the purchase of a $440+ reel is a pretty good deal.

Marlin Mike

pimpin aint cheap
Dec 11, 2007
Snohomish, WA
Name
Mike
Boat
boat ho now gimme a call
I love my marguesa just sayin

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Thinking of ordering one to try it out. FYI- The picture for the Santiago shows it has a top bar frame, but the reel is topless. I emailed them yesterday to confirm

tossmeatuna

Sep 23, 2010
La Mirada
Name
Tommy
Boat
Any BD'ers out there have any experience with these reels? Please share your thoughts on this.

windyridgeranch

El Capitan - M/V Cast Away
Sep 28, 2009
Snohomish/WA
Name
Karen
Boat
33' Wellcraft Coastal "Cast Away"
We use the Marquesa for salmon and love it! Just went on line to take advantage of this deal and ordered the Santiago SA25!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Thinking of ordering one to try it out. FYI- The picture for the Santiago shows it has a top bar frame, but the reel is topless. I emailed them yesterday to confirm
Comes in both styles, as per the site.....

"The Marquesa series comes in two model types: a topless model for easy spool access and control, and a model with a top bar that kite fishermen will also appreciate. kite fishermen will also appreciate the dial that allows custom adjustment of clicker tension. The top bar models are perfect for challenging sailfish and the techniques needed to catch them. Marquesa is big fish stopping power in a very refined package."

The unknown fisherman:p:

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Comes in both styles, as per the site.....

"The Marquesa series comes in two model types: a topless model for easy spool access and control, and a model with a top bar that kite fishermen will also appreciate. kite fishermen will also appreciate the dial that allows custom adjustment of clicker tension. The top bar models are perfect for challenging sailfish and the techniques needed to catch them. Marquesa is big fish stopping power in a very refined package."

The unknown fisherman:p:
He said the Santiago reel is topless.... your are quoting the other reel....

Thanks for the heads up!! Just ordered mine too!! :hali_olutta:

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
That is a SCREAMING DEAL! I am in the process of switching my entire arsenal to FIN NOR. The Marquesas come in full frame with top bar and topless. I have seen pics of the topless Santiagos, but the only ones I own have the full frame with top bar.

I use the Marquesa 12s/16s for salmon and tuna. The Marquesa 20 is a great vertical jigging reel (narrow spool) and can be used for live bai/trolling and for halibut. The Marquesa 20 and 30 are beasts, cranking out 40 lbs. of drag. I use the Marquesa 30s as my planer reels.

The Santiagos are two speed and pull cow duty. The Marquesas are coming out in 2-speed versions this winter.

I also have a couple of the FIN NOR Offshore spinning reels for flinging swimbaits. They have killed a lot of albies for me.

The Peddler

You should have been here yesterday!
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
The only "topless" Santiago's are the small sizes, the 12 and 16 size. The 25, 30, 30W, 50, 50W, 80, and 130 size have top-bars.

Tommy, those pictures are AWESOME!

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Well, I had to pull the trigger. I ordered the SA12 because these reels seem to be bigger than the Marquesa. I have two MA16s which I have used once but I think they will work fine and the SA 12 is 40 ounces while the MA16 is 21. Me thinks these reels are much bigger. Anyone actually own any yet?

Stryker20

Subtle as a Hand Grenade
Oct 3, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Name
Mike
Boat
Still searching
That Santiago 12 would be a killer Hali reel, and straight murder on the longfins as your long drop shotgun reel.

Congrats on your score, hope you like em.:hali_olutta:

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Okay, I'm still a FNG tuna guy so I don't know all the lingo but am learning, what is a "long drop shotgun reel" used for? Tanks

Stryker20

Subtle as a Hand Grenade
Oct 3, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Name
Mike
Boat
Still searching
Trolling term

depending on how you run your trolling spread, W pattern, V pattern, staggered diamond or what..........

Some guys like their shotgun (center rod in spread) to be dropped back just outside the main spread. Others use a long dropback that hangs well away from the spread.

Depends on how you like to run stuff.

The Peddler

You should have been here yesterday!
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Well, I had to pull the trigger. I ordered the SA12 because these reels seem to be bigger than the Marquesa. I have two MA16s which I have used once but I think they will work fine and the SA 12 is 40 ounces while the MA16 is 21. Me thinks these reels are much bigger. Anyone actually own any yet?
SA12 is a two-speed reel. More components, more weight.
MA16 is a single-speed reel.

The SA12 probably does have a little more capacity than the MA16.

Titan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
Thanks for the heads-up! Just placed an order for an SA-12 and an MA-20 for $440!!!

Johnny Dollar

still learning
Jun 14, 2009
Mukilteo or Westport
Name
Murphy
Boat
24' SeaSport: "Good Sport" (short cabin, long deck)
Thanks for the heads-up! Just placed an order for an SA-12 and an MA-20 for $440!!!
Johnny did it for $425
(sweet, no tax or shipping, either)

Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

kingfisher1

Feb 17, 2009
WA
Name
Aaron
Boat
n/a
Smokin' deal. The Santiago 16 (SA16) is a great trolling reel for my long range trips. Can't wait to try out the new 2 speed Marquesa's with a whopping 45lbs of drag and fast 51 IPT. You'll find all the capacity, weight and IPT data here: http://www.finnorfishing.com/fnreels.html

For the guys wondering about relative reel sizes between the Marquesa's and Santiago's ... here is the line up from MA12 to the SA16 skipping the MA30.

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
Putting fandom aside, how do these reels stack up to Avet as far as simplicity? One of the HUGE things I love about Avet is how friggin' simple they are when you bust 'em open for cleaning and maintenance. It almost feels like it's nothin' more than that one big drag washer, some gears, and a side plate. I might consider going Fin Nor if they're just as simple.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Putting fandom aside, how do these reels stack up to Avet as far as simplicity? One of the HUGE things I love about Avet is how friggin' simple they are when you bust 'em open for cleaning and maintenance. It almost feels like it's that one big drag washer, some gears, and a side plate. I might consider going Fin Nor if they're just as simple.
While the Fin Nor's are good reels, they don't even come close to the Avet's in ease of maintenance. Personally, I'll stick to the Avet's. They are American made too.

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
While the Fin Nor's are good reels, they don't even come close to the Avet's in ease of maintenance. Personally, I'll stick to the Avet's. They are American made too.
Cool, nuff said. I'll stick with Avet as well... they're less expensive and come in lefty as well!

Although... this deal is pretty screamin'... kinda hard to pass up... decisions!!!

Stryker20

Subtle as a Hand Grenade
Oct 3, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Name
Mike
Boat
Still searching
Those Santiago's are absolute tanks compared to other reels in their classes.

First one I picked up felt like it had tungsten guts in it.

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Hrm, I didn't realize they're only offering as small as a SA30. That's a big fuckin' reel... Dunno if it has a place in the WA fisheries. I'd be much more inclined to buy if they were offering the SA12.

Titan

Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
Give it a couple more days. Most retailers are not showing the promo yet. I bet you'll be able to get the SA12, which is great for halibut or tuna.

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Give it a couple more days. Most retailers are not showing the promo yet. I bet you'll be able to get the SA12, which is great for halibut or tuna.
I bought the SA 12 last year on this deal and it is a beast for sure. worth it when you get a marquesa for free.

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
We have a couple 12's and a 30, we really like them but they have to be maintained after every season right away or they are a disaster. The Marquesa 30 is great for halis, lings and trolling Tuna. It would double duty for live bait but we feel it's overkill. Just remember the maintenance or you will hate them. China made, just sayin, we are moving to Avet as Elkfins said, pretty simple fishing up here, HX's and MX's. It works and Makes us feel good.