Fillet Knife (Bubba Blade)

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Hi - does anyone owns and uses a Bubba blade fillet knife for, maybe, more than 6 months? How is it holding out? Or can anyone recommends a good fish fillet knife for the approximate same price range?

Thanks.

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
"Carl" owns one, but hardly ever uses it. It probably wasn't even rinsed off after the last use, so he could probably tell you how it's holding up... :D

speikert

Mar 1, 2013
Kenai, Alaska
Name
Sold It
Boat
Gone
I use the Bubba Blade all the time here in Alaska on Halibut, Salmon, Rock Fish Ect.
i have had the Flex and Stiffe for about 2 years and they are holding up great and easy to sharpen.
the only thing i dont like is that they are made in CHINA.

Regards,

hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
If you want a less expensive option there is a place in Brea that sells used butcher knives for really cheap. They have 9" blades for really cheap and they are SUPER sharp. I filleted about 50 fish without needing to resharpen and I still use that same knife to cut up my sushi for dinner, it is still razor sharp. PM if you are interested.

Dust Devil

Apr 14, 2005
Ridgecrest
Name
Russ
Boat
Any that will have me
Kinda silly to spend $50 on a china made Bubba Blade when you can spend $20 on a Swiss made Victronox/Forschner (that I guarantee will last a LONG tme)

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Kinda silly to spend $50 on a china made Bubba Blade when you can spend $20 on a Swiss made Victronox/Forschner (that I guarantee will last a LONG tme)
I just ordered one (Victorinox 47513 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife with Fibrox
Handle) after reading so many good reviews on Amazon. Hope it is sharp enough to sashimi my catches. :hali_olutta:

skipperw1

Jun 25, 2008
Ramona/Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
2820 Parker " Rock N Reel"
I have 2 Bubbas and they're great. I have 1 thin and 1 thick. We cleaned YT for
2 hrs before having to touch up the edge. The knives were still sharp but just needed
a touch up. I like the grip, real comfortable. Also, have a good sharpener. I use a Chef's
Choice sharpener, I used it even before I got the Bubba's.
My only concern with the Bubba is how it will hold off rust if not dried after contact with
salt water. I haven't tried that yet.

harleymike

Aug 20, 2005
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
none
look at what crew members use 6" or 8" forschners with rosewood handles......made of surgical steel as opposed to ones with fibrox handles.....
I agree. These have the perfect amount of flex and very good steel. I also have the 10 inch with rosewood for the larger fish. A little expensive but worth it.

Dust Devil

Apr 14, 2005
Ridgecrest
Name
Russ
Boat
Any that will have me
look at what crew members use 6" or 8" forschners with rosewood handles......made of surgical steel as opposed to ones with fibrox handles.....
Victronox/Forschner uses the same kind of steel in both knives. They might use a different steel in their "Forged" or "Swiss classic" collections but the Fibrox and Rosewood 6 in semi flexible boning knives (the one 99% of deckhands use) use the same exact steel. Handle choice is all looks, but the Fibrox last longer, the Rosewood cost more, and have that "old school" look.

These four use the same steel, semi stiff blade or flexible. These models are not even offered in the Forged or Swiss Classic series.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/flexible-curved-boning-knife-p1749

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-rosewood/flexible-curved-boning-knife-p13746

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/semi-stiff-curved-boning-knife-p15741

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-rosewood/semi-stiff-curved-boning-knife-p14904

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
If you want a less expensive option there is a place in Brea that sells used butcher knives for really cheap. They have 9" blades for really cheap and they are SUPER sharp. I filleted about 50 fish without needing to resharpen and I still use that same knife to cut up my sushi for dinner, it is still razor sharp. PM if you are interested.
I stopped in at the shop this morning. I picked up a 9" razor sharp, rosewood handled blade for $4. Exceptional price, no tax. Now, they charge $5 just for sharpening a kitchen knife, but they sell used knives for a pittance. Wood or "plastic" handles. Paring knives were only $1. Got to be really careful, you will slice your finger off if your careless.

If you are ever in the area of Brea Mall, you owe yourself to stop in. Thanks for the heads-up Tony.

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I stopped in at the shop this morning. I picked up a 9" razor sharp, rosewood handled blade for $4. Exceptional price, no tax. Now, they charge $5 just for sharpening a kitchen knife, but they sell used knives for a pittance. Wood or "plastic" handles. Paring knives were only $1. Got to be really careful, you will slice your finger off if your careless.

If you are ever in the area of Brea Mall, you owe yourself to stop in. Thanks for the heads-up Tony.
I will probably have to now, when I am in the area. Doesn't hurt to have an extra or 2. Could you PM me the address, pls? Thanks guys.

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Dexter Russell & Forschner/Victorinox you can't go wrong.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
What is the name of the knife shop?
It isn't a knife shop per se, it is a knife/blade sharpening business. Just a storefront in an industrial strip mall type location.
The business name and address is: Diamond Sharp Services, 513 Mercury Lane, Brea 714-990-9402 Information courtesy of Tony.