plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Victorinox/Forschner.Only issue i have with them is i cant seem to sharpen them,i take it to somebody and have them do it.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Another vote for Victronix/Forshner. Get the plastic handle, not the wood--its less slippery, easier to clean, and cheaper to boot. I like the largest scmitar style for fish like yellowtail, tuna, wsb.

Upvote 0

Tailslapper

Jul 25, 2015
Name
Dan
Boat
Rubadub
My dad is a former butcher, and Forschner is the only brand he used while he did his craft. I didn't know if there's anything better on the market or not. Looks like I will be sticking with that

Reactions: Bottom Line
Upvote 0

joe.dude.01

Jun 9, 2015
Name
lbfishindude
Boat
ride on friend's boat:)
The victorinox 8" chef knives are the shit too! I also have the filet knife. Love em

Upvote 0

mrwilson99

Tell your mom to stop callin'
  • Mar 6, 2015
    San Gabriel
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Someday
    My mother in law gave me a forschner and I am really happy with it. I have the wood handle one, so is a bit slippery but no biggie. I usually get the fish slabbed on the boat and I filet the fish according to what my family members want.

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
    Aug 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
    I've got the wood handled big 12" Dexter and Russell for wackin' heads, NOT cheap, and the shorter curved 7" Forshner for filleting. It's the best. It's a little slippery as guys here say. But, being a wrapper, I not only wrap all my tools and rods,, I wrap my knives too. My Forschner impressed guys so much when I loaned it to a deckhand, that someone stole it just after the boat docked!! rats!! i still have many other older knives including an old 7.5 Inch Rapala, believe it or not , the best cheap knife for filleting, I have used in 50 years...I have a Brazilian boning knife 6' white handle, it was only $9.00, can't remember where I bought it. I wrapped it also, because it would get slippery with blood/slime..it's in this pic with some of my wrapped tools, for demo purposes. I highly recommend wrapping your knives, save some bad slips and cuts from happening. Can't wrap 'em? I can do it for ya.. PM me or email at [email protected].

Attachments

• IMG_1906.JPG
      IMG_1906.JPG
      254.8 KB · Views: 123
    Reactions: DOWNLOW
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    All knife are the same just know how to sharpen it! That all you need!!!
    not really , a good forshner is hard to beat
    that is why most Deck hands use them
    and i have 6 of them, and I only have one Bubba blade'
    and only use it to cut frozen fish
    it is too stiff For fileting .and I have the flex one

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

socalangler22

Yellowtail!!
  • May 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Steve-0
    Boat
    Not Yet
    Thanks for the all the input fellas. I ended up getting a Victorinox 8" fillet knife 40711. I was really gunning for the bubba blade but your input was so dead on. Price and the quality of the Victorinox is bad ass!

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    My two cents: TWO knives, always. One with a serrated blade for going through bone, then a non slippery handled, easy to clean razor sharp knife for fillet. TWO very different functions. And get any one of several "touch up" sharpeners you can bring with you. You may notice butchers hang a "steel" on their belt--that is NOT a sharpening stone, it is used when they hit a bone and "turn" the blade--they stroke a few times and straighten out the metal. Remember one more thing: some metal is stronger, but harder to sharpen, while softer metal sharpens quick and easy, but does not hold an edge very well. A true fillet knife is made of good steel, but it has an extreme angle--sharp as a razor, but even if great steel, it will dull much easier than any kind of serrated knife. So leave that one for final fillet work--use the beefy or serrated to take off the rough fillet.

Upvote 0

DALE S

TOTW
    Apr 23, 2007
    SD
    Name
    Dale
    Boat
    Bayrunner Baja 21
    Tramontina 8 in stiff fillet/boning white handle. Best $9.00 knife ever have several/ and turned alota buds on to it!

Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
    Aug 16, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    flyhigh123
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    i use 2 dexters. one a standard filet 9" boning knife and a dexter serrated scallop knife.... both are about $20 each. This is what the pros use including most seafood restaurants. Get the white handle over the wood. I have one of each handle and the white is easier to clean.

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
    Los osos
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    9 inch Dexter Russell
    Just have to know how to sharpen it.
    As far as I have seen everything else just won't hold an edge.

Upvote 0