Figure 8 Rings on Heavier Flat Falls

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
I posted this on "jigs/poppers" forum....no comments.
So how are you rigging figure 8 rings to split rings, assist hooks, large ff's and line?
Using crimped flouro with line saver?
Pictured is one diagram I found
20200927_181837.jpg

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
Large flatfalls, I like to bridle them, like my avatar, only with a shorter bridle. Hook to land rate is super high.
I’ve bridled a few flat falls, haven’t landed any fish on them yet though. How long do you like the braid to be attaching the hook, Is this too short? And with the eye of the flat fall facing down, do you like the point of the offset hook to be pointing up or down or does it matter?BC5CEC7E-FA6D-4C88-A72F-21CC7A522E15.jpeg

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Instead of a figure 8 ring, have you tried a ball bearing swivel? I would recommend trying that rather than the figure 8 ring, as it will aid in reducing line twist during the fight.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Found another diagram on the back of the package of 400# figure 8 rings
20200928_064424.jpg

The assist hooks I have are attached to a split ring

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I’ve bridled a few flat falls, haven’t landed any fish on them yet though. How long do you like the braid to be attaching the hook, Is this too short? And with the eye of the flat fall facing down, do you like the point of the offset hook to be pointing up or down or does it matter?View attachment 1205490
I like 1/2-1 inch on the bridle. I think if it is too short, it might affect action, but haven't tested it. The longer it is, the more often the circle hook gets the corner too. Also, bluefin will chew thru spectra, been there. Still got the fish, but not the lure. Use kevlar cord, same as used for assist hooks. Tie two ends with simple overhand knot, pull tight, then you can figure out how to loop the kevlar on the lure first, then the hook. Easy to change lures this way. You may miss one or two bites, but you will land 90% of your hookups, unless you get sawed off or something. I've only dropped one fish that was hooked on this setup, and that was a bottom fish. I did get sawed off once on a bigger bft, but that wasn't the hook's fault.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
Temecula
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Instead of a figure 8 ring, have you tried a ball bearing swivel? I would recommend trying that rather than the figure 8 ring, as it will aid in reducing line twist during the fight.
I have some with bridle/Hawaiian sling
The ff's I set up with a swivel used a 3' 150# crimped leader..the figure 8 at the lure and swivel at end of leader....Are you guys saying swivel at lure and solid ring at end of leader?

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I have some with bridle/Hawaiian sling
The ff's I set up with a swivel used a 3' 150# crimped leader..the figure 8 at the lure and swivel at end of leader....Are you guys saying swivel at lure and solid ring at end of leader?
No, you tie the swivel to the end of the leader, then split ring swivel to lure. Or you could substitute a solid ring for the swivel. The only point of the solid/split ring setup is to quickly change lures without having to cut your leader, which is only 3 feet. I use this same connection for poppers.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
This is from 2 years ago. 500g flatfall Caught a 230lb BFT. The lower owner stinger hook was attached with a high quality split ring. I have since gone to a welded ring there.
500g Faltfall rigged.jpg

Upvote 0