Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    I second knee pads especially for big fish fights. I use a volleyball knee pad and it saves my knee from bruises and scrapes for sure. I bring 2 sets because they get soaked and a bit funky after a few days so its nice to have a dry set. Harbor freight sell some cheap ones that work just as good and you can put on without taking off your boot. Also I wear a 3/4 finger sailing glove on my left hand which is the hand I use to palm the reel when fighting a fish with the rail. Except for my trolling reel I remove the left side lug so there is nothing to chafe my hand when I palm the reel. Some people remove both lugs. Probably not an issue on a 11 day but for my 14 day I have also used a shoulder strap to take the load off my hands and shoulder from holding a 20 or 30 size reel all day.
    AMEN ON KNEE PADS....rough decks LOL

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    When Tom Pfleger bought in to the Supreme it was FULL SPEED AHEAD. Went with those 2.... and Capt. Ron Gribble was on board as well and a small batch of the "choosen few" to the LUPE. Skiffs.... everything... to try to get those BFT. We got a few..... but nothing near what the boats are doing now.... locally. Tom had hit them many times on the HANA PA' A and had better luck being stealthy. Memorable trip for sure.

Reactions: Steve K and Cubeye
    A
    Al B.Fishing
    Tuna Alley had the BFT back then picture mentioned above the Zodiac with the Davey lockers crew I believe in stealth mode .Hana Pa nice ride
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Joe-in-MN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat Name
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    So looking at fighting styles, I have a question for all the more experienced anglers on BD.

What do you do with surfers, tuna that just stay up and out. The only times I have gotten my butt kicked were those types of fish. I did resort to getting on my knees and pinning the rod on the inside of the rail.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    So looking at fighting styles, I have a question for all the more experienced anglers on BD.

What do you do with surfers, tuna that just stay up and out. The only times I have gotten my butt kicked were those types of fish. I did resort to getting on my knees and pinning the rod on the inside of the rail.
    In this case, the bucket harness works the best. Simple and no stress or strain on the body. Strap in, bend you knees a little, use the rail to balance yourself. When you want to gain line squat a little, then stand up the wind in the line.

Short rods with a short butt section, and long fore grip worked the best for me. That way, you can extend your arms to reach the high point of the rod without the reel getting in the way.

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    18' Grizzly
    What percentage of fish (yellowfin) are these "surfers" you talk about? I may go ahead and bring my Braid harness if it's a probability I might have a use for it. Trying to fight a fish like that, using the rail, doesn't sound too appealing. This is the first I have seen these "surfers" mentioned.

A
    Al B.Fishing
    I feel BFT surf more than YFT
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    What percentage of fish (yellowfin) are these "surfers" you talk about? I may go ahead and bring my Braid harness if it's a probability I might have a use for it. Trying to fight a fish like that, using the rail, doesn't sound too appealing. This is the first I have seen these "surfers" mentioned.
    From time to time a big tuna will not do circles like most of the time. When this happens I point the rod when the fish is on the surface with my drag in full and wind on em. Sometimes I will even back up by pulling and winding. You don't see it very often and a crew member will be there to help you out. Your harness might work.. but I am no harness fisherman... I am full on a rail fisherman. Again I have hooked and landed many big tuna and 95% if not more go deep and swim in big circles at the end of a battle.

tuna.jpg

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    View attachment 1324691

Rad. My post #45 I said. Imo the private boat giant BFT so cal fleet.

"I don't get. Why the So Cal private boat big BFT guys are not using a full harness? Instead, on thier knees using a very low rail while in a very awkward position or fighting the fish from the rod holder. If this BFT fishery arised when I was still living in California and not in a tropical paradise. Personally, I would be fighting a jumbo BFT in a harness from a small boat"
    Mobility, and rail rods. Things have changed, I remember fighting a cow at the lower banks in the early eighties, the crew didn't want your rod on the rail. And it is still today a highly regarded long range boat. Things change, long rods, short rods. I had a sabre baja boomer rod in the eighties, my father who was a commercial fisherman said, what are you gonna do with that? Shoot pool he asked me? I now fish a 7 foot 6 UC viper most of the time for cows. Things change, they always will! I tell people today, constant change is here to stay!

Reactions: ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica from San Diego
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Brother.... in the early 80's.... there were many "homeguard" BFT at the LUPE. My first 6day on the RR arrived to massive boils and jumping fish in 250# - 400# range if I remember right.

At that time.... I had a ZODIAK poster in my wall with an 2 anglers "hoisting" a nice fatty in the #250 - #300 range.... over one of the pontoons. Classic "motivation" for me...lol.

Although Capt Danny Palm did his best a number of times..... trying to "slide" in on those "foamers" .... they did their usual disappearing act. But for me.... it was magic. They were massive. I'd caught albacore... en mass....YFT as well.... but never a BFT. Wasn't to be brother.... but never forgot that magic sight.... and the massive bombardment of casting jigs we "fired" as we tried to slide in on those Bluefin. Boat went zero for zero...on BFT.

Anyways.... BFT... Stinger harness and plate... would be my style. Be safe brother.

Norman RIP Hawkeye. Told me a story. Back when those few schools of 200-400 pounders then 400-1000lb BFT were living at and in the Lupe region. When Lupe was a BFT fishery and not YFT. He ran across the straight giants outside of Lupe, in deep water, heading back to SD.

Norman loves rockfish and back when deep drops were allowed. He had a handful of deep drop dacron backed reels aboard, the deep deep drop rigs with rail plate. After ever reel was dumped to the knot. He carried on his way back to SD. That was the year. The thousand pounders ended up in the nets off of, SCI

W
    woodfish330
    I keep a watchful eye on the sat ... and a curious ear to my commercial contacts right now. I still believe we're going to see bigger fish locally. Even if only for a fleeting few days. Be ready brothers.
    Upvote 0
    bradnoble
    bradnoble
    Those big BFT at SCI was 1989 correct? That’s what I remember anyway…
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Btw. When a giant does charge the boat, shaking its head, on the surface, it's re-energizing for another adrenaline rush.

While also trying to get rid of the hook in its mouth. But also taking a breather, the fish is catching its breath. To produce another (adrenaline rush) when the fish then (u turns) and swims away from you again, feeling more fresh

High gear. When a fish is charging the boat and re-energizing

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Also in my limited experience. When one of those big devil bastards are hooked. When the fish, charges the boat shaking its head. High gear stay tight.

But not too tight trying to keep the rod completely loaded. Those teeth are sawing back and forth on the line. With the giants gills flared out. Different then coming across the teeth in all the other ways

The tighter the line the less pressure it takes for a saw blade to go through

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    A big Steel One

That is the worst scenario when rail fishing. Its also the best time when fishing with a harness.

If you are tall it magnifies the problem.

When rail rod fishing you have to get low. Yet - I always have Mike Ramirez in my ear telling me "Mike Ramirez doesnt get on his knees for anyone or thing"!

So I Bump up the drag and point the rod at the fish and wind in low.

Also stand up and put a bend in the rod and wind.

Super important to get some line back on the reel so you can get the rod back on the rail and put max pressure on the fish.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Alright.... think about "taming" those "surface" skimmers, in another light. MIND RESET.

SO..... we're out " commercial" fishing big tuna.... ie.... "DOWN IN THE RACKS". You've seen the old time videos of some pretty large tuna flying over the rail.... when fishing the "Jack / Lift Pole".... right? Pretty incredible to say the least.

How?? By using the tuna's own strength "against" them. Just KEEP the motion going! TURN THAT S.O.B. and cranked like hell. Low speed to turn him towards you.... than crank as fast as you can. If you control him ....and his direction... NOW.... your fight is finished.... DONE.... GAFFED. Watch the old videos.... much to learn about "control" and using THEIR power.... to your advantage. He swims.... you steer..... its as easy as that.

One last comparison. For those who have ever fished the "boat line" from the corners of the stern for albacore or tuna. No rods.... no reels.... no drag.... (bungee cord)...lol. Some #500 tuna cord and a good jig. When you get bit.... put on your gloves.... and hand over hand that fish. Big fish? Take the proper wrap..... but use their swimming momentum .... towards you.... to pull that fish in. I've personally seen #100 plus fish taken on the "boatline" use that same method. Good luck.

Reactions: Cubeye and ZZZZZ

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    18' Grizzly
    So, you guys have been telling me for months that I need to bring 5 or 6 special, expensive rod & reel set-ups, learn all kinds of new knots and rigging, etc. etc., and now you post a video showing all I need is a cane pole?

W
    woodfish330
    Brother..... don't make me look up some great Hawaiian fishing videos. All by hand..... "throwing stone".... for big AHI... Use that "peg".... and get the right "wraps".... they do it daily!

So who needs a rod?....
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    So, you guys have been telling me for months that I need to bring 5 or 6 special, expensive rod & reel set-ups, learn all kinds of new knots and rigging, etc. etc., and now you post a video showing all I need is a cane pole?
    Yeah, but you gotta have a LOT of experience with that cane pole... and a clueless fly fisherman at the bow of the panga! :)

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    time the rise and fall of the bow and swell. SKILLS.

I like the bow killing station unless it's snotty out. Always has been port bow and not starboard bow. Probably, because I fish with the rod under my left arm. Leaning my left ribs and body into the rod. Rail pressure and body side angle pressure. Tighting up the circles. I don't like landing fish in the stern corner killing stations. With all the people fishing bait

Will walk my albacore to just before the bow to be landed in peace

I like some bow lift :D not allot but some. Really work the fish with perfect bow lift. When up and down

Crazy stormy windy swell bow lift, swinging. Will take the stern to land the fish. And a longer top shot

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    I'm not good with the new software. Trying to quote one of the new reply styles. So screen shot

Screenshot_20211010_184452.jpg

(Ahi) is (fire) in Hawaiian. When handlining big YFT they were known as (Ahi) in Hawaii. Because the fisherman's hands would be on fire (Ahi)

Screenshot_20211010_184649.jpg

Upvote 0