Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Yeah Professor 👍
So, Tim, I remember the rods 6455XXH, but have seen a movement to even shorter rods. Better leverage? What about at the end of the fight when one of those big ones is doing big circles? Use the pusher, (Y) a lot to keep the line from rubbing the hull?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
JB and Burnside. Know when not to use a settled in fight. JB actually uses a customized metal rail rod belt. Not a harness. Big daddy is a great harness fisherman

124048-1147971862-0abca742f4f1b829faa8e91dc2929558.jpg

124034-1147970986-fbdc22970fe8c03d0c145faec0a7f667.jpg

124036-1147970997-6344a9c96bf25e9175fcd771cffa9e42.jpg

Turd fish burn off others

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
On the Excel I think you see more harness fisherman than many of the other boats.

Rick Iwatsubo uses a technique that may appeal to taller anglers who want to use a rail rod. It is inevitable, that taller anglers will be on a knee or crouched at some point in the fight using a rail rod.

Rick is not tall but his technique is very effective. Our last trip together he landed 3 cows using this method.

Rick, fishes rail rods out of a harness. He uses the rail to rest the fore grip and not feel all of the pressure that fishing a long rod would create in the harness. He gets out of the harness and fights the fish on the rail as the situation warrants.

He never gets on a knee. He never has the epic hours long battles we see too often.

He is never in someones way moving sideways in a harness with a short rod and limited mobility.

It is an excellent technique that many more should adopt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
Atlanta GA
Name
Tim Turis
Boat
n/a
So, Tim, I remember the rods 6455XXH, but have seen a movement to even shorter rods. Better leverage? What about at the end of the fight when one of those big ones is doing big circles? Use the pusher, (Y) a lot to keep the line from rubbing the hull?
Most of my heavy tuna rods are 4’-6” long. They are a custom Calstar blank; X46XH. These are the same rods/blanks they we use on when fishing giant BFT in Prince Edward Island Canada. And yes they allow a huge mount of pressure/leverage on the fish.

And just like any rod at the end of the fight, sometimes a “Y” is required to keep the line off of the hull and sometimes it’s not. I’ve never seen an issue with the short rods at the end of a fight.

Last edited:
D
dtf
I think the main issue with the short rods is the older fisherman. :D:D:DLOL
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Most of my heavy tuna rods are 4’-6” long. They are a custom Calstar blank; X46XH. These are the same rods/blanks they we use on when fishing giant BFT in Prince Edward Island Canada. And yes they allow a huge mount of pressure/leverage on the fish.

And just like any rod at the end of the fight, sometimes a “Y” is required to the line off of the hull and sometimes it’s not. I’ve never seen an issue with the short rods at the end of a fight.
Obsolete Tomato sticks.

That is funny Turd.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Sorry DTF....we paved the way for you to use generations worth of "innovations"... to help YOU in your conquest. We paid YOUR "dues"... and you get ALL of our sweat.... toys... tools... knowledge..... so you can brag to your friends ....how good YOU are.... when you caught "that" fish.

Sorry.... the OLD DUDES paved your road. So give them some respect Brother.... they've "earned" it! We'll be "Gone" soon enough.....

As for the rod lengths..... always loved 5' to 6' sized rods for tuna. Boomer..... Baby Boomer... 6465..... 6455.... loved them all. Each a different job. To each his own....I say.

Upvote 0

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    22ft, Pursuit
    Sorry DTF....we paved the way for you to use generations worth of "innovations"... to help YOU in your conquest. We paid YOUR "dues"... and you get ALL of our sweat.... toys... tools... knowledge..... so you can brag to your friends ....how good YOU are.... when you caught "that" fish.

Sorry.... the OLD DUDES paved your road. So give them some respect Brother.... they've "earned" it! We'll be "Gone" soon enough.....

As for the rod lengths..... always loved 5' to 6' sized rods for tuna. Boomer..... Baby Boomer... 6465..... 6455.... loved them all. Each a different job. To each his own....I say.
    I think you might have taken my thoughts wrong. Early on I learned to fish the harness and found that with the shorter rods at that time fished properly, this was the best way for me being 6ft plus. Secret to making it work was knowing when to get out of the harness, which was often. Just the opinion of a old 77 year foggy.
    Still going strong, couple long trips coming up.:-):-)

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
    Oct 23, 2004
    Harrington Park, NJ
    www.bhptackle.com
    Name
    Basil
    Boat
    Friends With Boats
    Tomato stick vs broom stick. Tomatoes rule! BTW that custom metal rod belt referred to was the ladder plate John Pandeles first designed with 3 pin positions for your butt.

W
    woodfish330
    I fished with John many times. He also developed the "Extended (long) Reel Lug Nuts" for early rail fishing. He's not that tall.... so any thing helps. Pretty innovative.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Tomato stick vs broom stick. Tomatoes rule! BTW that custom metal rod belt referred to was the ladder plate John Pandeles first designed with 3 pin positions for your butt.
    I started out with plate and harness and 5'5" rods with rollers.

You know I have love for the short rods.

Gives me fresh material to break Tims balls!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Lets be realistic for me. Personally, I have been deprived from limited experience. Would like to settle in with a harness. Few obstacles. But not while other fish are hanging. I was born and raised SD.

But I do prefer. Board shorts and sandals. Free style :D it's called West Side and how we kill fish

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Sorry John. Huge respect. My first LR cow came on a Penn 80 granny gear and baja baby boomer. Nothing wrong with that at all

But not a current recomendation

For a beginner starting out of SD. For big tuna. Use the rail before learning the harness

Imagine the Cali night bites for Cow BFT. With the fishers in a full harness

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    You know, speaking of John Pandeles, I spotted this crimp kit, just had to buy it! Not exactly sure where or with who it will end up. This is over 20 years old and was the inspiration for Garry Sato to develop his crimp system.
    38C4D6D1-8CDC-473C-8209-7565469E6F9F.jpeg
    E00AC97E-C2E6-49FA-89B7-555AD6F15A8D.jpeg

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Yes. Never met (Stas) but hear he was a big part also

W
    woodfish330
    Fished with Stasi V. again.... in the day... many times. That guy was a fishing "technician".... pure Big Fish skills. Seen him take a number of YFT over 300 .... on a single trip. Learned many things from Stas. Great guy! True "trendsetter".
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat

And just like any rod at the end of the fight, sometimes a “Y” is required to the line off of the hull and sometimes it’s not. I’ve never seen an issue with the short rods at the end of a fight.

I must completely disagree with this blanket statement. A Prince Edward Canada. Giant BFT stand up rod. Can be used for a giant YFT LR rod. Not ideal. But works for a experienced angler who knows nothing else. Works for sure

W
    woodfish330
    Dr. DAVE GONG took 3 fish over #500 with the largest being #667.... on his slightly modified LR gear... out of Carolina when that fishery popped up in the early 2000's. It CAN and HAS been done before brother. Used the Stinger Bucket Harness and LG SMITTY pad. NO ONE TOUCHED HIS ROD...EVER. Great guy.... fishing mentor for sure.
    Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Seeing that a 16 size reel. Is now a cow reel. I'm not that brave :D

I'm out of it. Give me a 50. Tilt a 50 at exactly the right angle with boat lift. And the line will pour off the reel from the weight of the spool, with a sardine. Can perform a 50 like a 30. That precise downward angle. Will also get less line out of the wind. Less wind resistance for bait performance

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The thing is. To perform a 50 like a 30. Takes almost 100% concentration at all times and being one with the variable elements by the nano second. No blinders or tunnel vision or day time dreaming. Fishing from the spool a few steps ahead. Forward pedaling and back pedal for kick start. Very tiring and most can't stay focused. Forward pedal to much and the bait will swim back.

The sardine needs to feel some resistance. To continue swimming straight. But the less resistance to accomplish that = more bites

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Seriously. Give the play by play of your live bait. To yourself or vocal. I talk to my live bait in one way or another. Less bites when I don't

Know just before you get bit, feel the bait being chased and nervous, eyeballed, in the game and not on the side lines

Last edited:
    W
    woodfish330
    Brother.... your right ✅. When bait fishing.... the "telegtaphed" excitement of the bait... starts my waiting heart.... a pounding. Can't do that... if you dont have the "touch"... and are not "connected"... due to too much "free spool". Fished next to plenty of Spool "Strippers".... feeding line needlessly into the water... yet can't "feel" their bait. Sleep at the wheel for sure...lol.
    • Love
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    There is so much to be said about (talking to your bait). That's how I get bit LOL Deserves its own thread :D seriously. I already knew :) you talk to your bait.

I don't get. Why the So Cal private boat big BFT guys are not using a full harness? Instead, on thier knees using a very low rail while in a very awkward position or fighting the fish from the rod holder. If this BFT fishery arised when I was still living in California and not in a tropical paradise. Personally, I would be fighting a jumbo BFT in a harness from a small boat

Btw. Can't get a 50 to perform 100% like a 30 :) But put enough effort into it. Darn close. Can't stop paying attention.

My 283 on a stock Tiagra 30 with 130lb seaguar on a sardine straight tie. Hooked close to the boat. Would had been lost on smaller gear imo and I was in my prime. That fish was so gnarly. It boiled while hooked 200 yards off the bow and body rolled and stayed on the surface for over 1 hour. Charged the boat on the surface renergizing at least 5 times shaking its head. In high gear, winding as fast as possible to keep tight. Last circle the fish tried to break the circle and swim off the bow into the horizon. Luckily, I fish with the rod under my left armpit. So with the fish circling clockwise while on the port side, when it tried to break the outside of its circle and swim off the bow. I just (arrrrgghhh) and leaned most of my body weight on the rod to the left using my ribs. Held the fish and it turned back and got stuck.

When I held the fish as it tried to break the final circle. My head was down and most my body weight was on the rod to the left. Line went semi slack and I wound wound wound. The slack was the fish swimming back into its circle that it broke by a few feet. I looked up and the gaffs were wiggling. Fish got stuck just under bow flare as it swam back into its circle.

The 298.2 on the next bite. Using a prototype topless Avet SDS 50. On a greenie 130lb seaguar straight tie on the long bite. Was easy. Weak fish end of its life cycle. So easy the fish got stuck with 1 gaff at first and I had to ask a passenger to put another gaff into the 298.2 because the crew was busy with the other 5 anglers hooked up. I was on my own :D landed it like a albacore

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother ZZZZZZ.... advanced "techniques".... I love it. Once experienced.... learning to "lean in" on fish.... AND "out"..... literally STEERING it.... to get the desired Gaff shot.... time the rise and fall of the bow and swell. SKILLS.

During the fight....I always try to save 30% of my upper arms.... for the final 2 minutes. This is when most of that Body English counts. If your "Deckhand" is worth his weight..... he'll know.... YOU KNOW!! Its all over then..... lol.. At that point.....I've done MY job.... WAIT, WAIT.... Oh Yeah.....free spool and clicker on. ...just in "case"....

Good post brother...

• Love
    FishRock
    FishRock
    Problem is no one every tells me when the last 2 minutes start. :)
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    During the fight....I always try to save 30% of my upper arms.... for the final 2 minutes. This is when most of that Body English counts. If your "Deckhand" is worth his weight..... he'll know.... YOU KNOW!! Its all over then..... lol.. At that point.....I've done MY job.... WAIT, WAIT.... Oh Yeah.....free spool and clicker on. ...just in "case"....

Good post brother...

Offten times. Those last few moments is when the angler or fish taps out. That last big pull is best off the rail with some energy left. Is important

Last edited:
    W
    woodfish330
    Its a 2 percenter..... but you get that. 👌

I judge angling skills by observing those last 5 minutes. Brutal.... yes. Truthful...ABSOLUTLY!! Pretty.... wellllll .... sometimes your happy its over. Some fish have kicked my butt too. Learned from them....." NEXT"......lol
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Screenshot_20211006_194700.jpg

Rad. My post #45 I said. Imo the private boat giant BFT so cal fleet.

"I don't get. Why the So Cal private boat big BFT guys are not using a full harness? Instead, on thier knees using a very low rail while in a very awkward position or fighting the fish from the rod holder. If this BFT fishery arised when I was still living in California and not in a tropical paradise. Personally, I would be fighting a jumbo BFT in a harness from a small boat"

• Love
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... in the early 80's.... there were many "homeguard" BFT at the LUPE. My first 6day on the RR arrived to massive boils and jumping fish in 250# - 400# range if I remember right.

At that time.... I had a ZODIAK poster in my wall with an 2 anglers "hoisting" a nice fatty in the #250 - #300 range.... over one of the pontoons. Classic "motivation" for me...lol.

Although Capt Danny Palm did his best a number of times..... trying to "slide" in on those "foamers" .... they did their usual disappearing act. But for me.... it was magic. They were massive. I'd caught albacore... en mass....YFT as well.... but never a BFT. Wasn't to be brother.... but never forgot that magic sight.... and the massive bombardment of casting jigs we "fired" as we tried to slide in on those Bluefin. Boat went zero for zero...on BFT.

Anyways.... BFT... Stinger harness and plate... would be my style. Be safe brother.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    A couple of acquaintances up this way made some trips on the Supreme, friends of Tom Pfleger and of course Tommy Rothery. Back then, targeting the Bluefin giants at Guadalupe they caught some trophies. One of the guys had a pic of a Super on the wall of his office.

Upvote 0