Offshore fickle fish, bottom of the 9th, late report 7.15

Feb 27, 2019
California
Name
Mateo
Boat
Montauk -> Me shell
9 mile, huge foamers, incredibly fickle all day literally we chased fish and were right on top of them for 6 straight hours. Threw nearly every jig I had got one bite on a 42g sniper green color, but fish dropped it when it didn't taste like a chovie. Tons of boats chasing them definitely had to check the quarter before making a turn. On way in we cruised down the backside of the ridge and then decided to call it around 5. I was bummed and wrestling with how to be content considering (like always) I pray for God to bless our trips, keep us safe, put his praise on our lips and put the meat in the bag :) On way in we saw the biggest foamer I have EVER seen was actually pretty sure it was a pod of spinners from afar turns out they were ~100# no other boats around anywhere again same story they wouldn't take any jigs. We had like 3 baits left, and it was the bottom of the 9th down by too many, my buddy threw out a sardine right near the foam ball (20ft from the boat) and we slow trolled around the edge since it seemed like the fish were staying up and 5 seconds after putting the boat in gear he hooked up. 75-80# He had his lighter gear since they had been so fickle all day - 30lb pink fluoro and 1/0 ringed circle hook. Soo stoked to not get skunked.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Way to dog one out!

Fished last week on the Aztec. I have never pulled that hard on 30 and 40 and we lnded fish to 80# at about 2/3 success. 2 Owner C hook.

Upvote 0