Fiberglass vs Aluminum for SF Bay Fishery

cambo0420

Mar 10, 2019
SF Bay California
Name
Cameron DeMiguel
Boat
Kayak and a 20 ft Boston whaler
So I’m a Serious big game hunter but want to get more into the great fishery I live by in the San Francisco Bay and surrounding delta area. my Dad now that he’s getting older can’t hunt as much and as hard so we definitely want to get a boat to keep him in the outdoors doing what he loves most which is fishing (behind killing elk and mule deer). So we both decided to be those newbie guys and say screw It and buy a new if badass boat. My dad used to do tons of fishing and still goes with all his buddies he’s just never ran his own boat so it’ll be a new experience for us. so now to the topic at hand, we were trying to decide between fiberglass walk around style similar to the 24 foot sea swirl 24’ with the Alaskan package or a boat similar to a Hewescraft or Raider aluminum offshore boat. The model aluminum we are looking at purchasing is the Hewescraft Ocean Pro 240 or the Raider Coastal 2584. whatever boat we decide to get we are planning on mooring so will get the special paint, will also check for stray voltage in Marina to stop electrolysis and we will get a slip that has a dry dock hoist for when fishing season ends. but in all honesty we really aren’t sure what best. Reason we want aluminum is you get a badass fishing machine for way less money than a striper style, huge fish box, huge deck to take out crab pots, idk i guess we just really like the aluminum style boats. Also a new stripper is 60k more. Also i Guess I’m just not sure if I should go with something even a little smaller to sometimes trailer to Big lakes like Lake Tahoe or Lake Oroville, is a 25 to big to trailer to a lake? school Me in fiberglass vs aluminum. Also what brands should we be looking at getting?

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    The thing I notice most my first time on an aluminum boat was the noise. Water slapping against the hull is very dissonant to my ears. Even worse when on a drift.

Reactions: cambo0420
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    My first boat was aluminum. Ask me how many times I waxed the hull.

Great for low maintenance. It did feel a bit light and tossable in the open ocean, but you're looking at bigger boats.

Good luck in your shopping!

Reactions: cambo0420
    Upvote 0