Fiberglass botch job?

69ChrisCraft

Feb 8, 2020
Madera, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
1994 Reinell
Hey guys, I had another thread in which you all helped me determine the model of my project boat (Reinell Coho). I have pulled the drive, motor, and fuel tanks. The transom and stringers appear to be in great shape but I came across some odd de-lamination of some glass under the fuel hatch. I’m wondering if it was an attempt at repair that and will compromise the integrity or perhaps the guy just reglassed some stringers when he did the major overhaul (2005 he installed a 5.0 MPI and new fuel cells). There appears to be a carriage bolt head under the hull and bottom painted over? I can’t tell if it is directly in line with a stringer and delamination or perhaps something plugging a prior thru hull?

Attachments

69ChrisCraft

Feb 8, 2020
Madera, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
1994 Reinell
Just realized my video of the delamination didn’t post and don’t think I can.... I’ll try and take a pic that shows.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Probably did the repair with Polyester resin which does not bond well for repairs. Need to at least use Vinylester resin or epoxy for the strongest repair

Reefer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
Among other things, I'd remove the bolt, probe the hole and plan on filling it properly as part of the overall repair project. I'd remove delaminated glass and chase the problems as far as they go. More surprises seem likely.