FishingRx

Apr 4, 2021
Hanford
Name
Mark Facchini
Boat
None
Wrapping my head around the FG knot.

In order for it to seat properly, from what I'm seeing, the fluorocarbon topshot needs to have a higher breaking strength than the braid (or close to it)? Can you use, say 65lb braid to 50lb fluoro? 40lb fluoro? Or should it be at least 65lb fluoro?

Thanks!

Reactions: jiggermyster

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    On 65lb braid you could do a leader of 25 - 30 -40-50-60-80 it all good... Same with 50lb braid use the double uni it the knot!

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Wrapping my head around the FG knot.

In order for it to seat properly, from what I'm seeing, the fluorocarbon topshot needs to have a higher breaking strength than the braid (or close to it)? Can you use, say 65lb braid to 50lb fluoro? 40lb fluoro? Or should it be at least 65lb fluoro?

Thanks!
    Doesn't have to be the way you describe. I do think it is more difficult to seat the FG with lighter leaders (below 25-lb or so), but not impossible. The best way to learn is to have relatively light braid and a much heavier leader--like 20 or 30-lb braid and 80 or 100-lb for the leader material. Once you have that down, you'll be able to go up on the braid size and down on the leader size.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    One way to perfect the FG is to wrap a certain number of turns on one and wrap another with plus or minus one wrap. For thick leader like 130# 8 turns works for me. But for 80# leader 10 wraps. Given the leader diameter gets smaller and with 65# maybe 12 wraps might work for the smaller stuff... I have hollow and can make a spliced loop on the ends and have a tug-o-war. Winning knot will have enough leader for the challenger FG to test against.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    The FG is good but I've found my results vary depending on the braid, leader material, and number of wraps. More wraps isn't always better. Neither is fewer.

In general, I do more wraps with thinner lines, and fewer wraps with heavier lines. I've found fewer wraps are needed when using coarse braid such as Maxcuatro. This is offset somewhat if using harder fluoro leaders, which requires more wraps. Confused yet?

50# PowerPro to 40# Premier?
    80# Maxcuatro to 80# Blue Label?
    40# J-Braid 8x to 25# Yozuri Pink?
    30# ProSpec to 40# Izor XXX?

IMO, for any given combination of braid and leader, knowing the exact number of turns needed for max FG strength is a WAG. Now add in the inconsistencies that can occur during the tying process on a moving boat and... it's all a WWAG.

The key, IMO, is to tie a lot of FG's and fish them hard so you have the confidence that even your most mediocre FG will still work well.

Reactions: Bill W
    Bill W
    Bill W
    Maybe what is most important is how well you set the FG. That is when you get the number of wraps decided.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

REK

Oct 21, 2006
    Oasis
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    rowboat
    Small spec will grab the larger topper with the FG. Say...80 spec to 130 top.

I'll use 130 spec for 100 topper. 100 spec for 80. 80 for 60/50. 65 spec for 40/50. 50 spec for 40/30. I did have trouble with the FG using 65 spectra to 25/30 or 50 spec to skinny 20. (Overnighter, small YFTs). Would not grab. Went with the RP knot.

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    As others have said, practice and use trial and error until you find the number of turns you do best with. It's important to cinch the not until the spectra turns color. If you do too many wraps you won't be able to cinch all of them appropriately. Too few and it's not strong enough. I use it on all line strengths up to 60 or 80. I use lighter(30#) spectra for 20-25# topshot and it works fine.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    Half of my rigs are white Izor 65# spectra and I fish them with 25-60# fluro, with the knot just off the reel when I let out enough line to have the jig/hook at reel height (10-12 feet, depending on the rod). This is my go-to setup and I love the flexibility it offers. The only issue I have with tying the FG is that when I practice and use my 3x cheater glasses, I can see that wraps 16-20 don't always look perfect. I'm not sure why this happens but I haven't had any failures, so I don't worry about it too much. I always use 20 wraps, so maybe I should try something different? On the other hand, I don't want to mess with success. BTW, when I say 25#-60# fluro, I use Blue Label as my guide and adjust for any differneces in diameter. BTW II, I have a two rigs with smaller spectra (30# and 50#) but I don't use those too much because I've got it stuck in my head that it's harder to cast and remove backlash with the lighter spectra. That could be a false belief but I go with the thing that gives me confidence.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I have tied the FG with 8lb to 80Lb to fluorocarbon leaders ranging from 4lb to 50lb without any knot failures. Most often, I tie 30lb Suffix 832 to 15-30lb Premier. I always make 20 tight wraps and one half hitch before wetting and cinching the knot.

Starting with the rod in a holder and the braid tied to a cleat, I just remove the slack (very little tension). The rod keeps tension as I weave the leader through the braid, making very close wraps, no gaps. Next, I tie one half hitch over the braid and leader then wet and cinch the knot (braid in one hand, standing leader in the other and leader tag in my teeth). Two more half hitches over the braid and leader then cut the tag of the leader and finish with 3 more half hitches or a Rizzuto.

It may sound complicated, but the entire knot takes about a minute to complete.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I just got back from fishing with the Osunas in PV. We landed 2 cows and 4 supers. They use the FG knot for every one of their spectra to leader connections from 30 - 130. No failures of any kind.

I asked Roberto why the FG knot and no wind-ons. He said that making wind-ons took a lot of time and he hated it when one he just put on a setup got damaged and he had to cut it off. Said the FG was fast, easy and dependable.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Latest posts