AlwaysHookedUp

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
J
Boat
Center Console
Was curious if anyone ties an fg knot on a double braided line after the Bimini. When fishing long range if you run out of wind ons when the bite is on and don’t want to sit in the galley making more would this be a feasible way to tie on leader? I’ve used Albrights in the past but more recently have been tying all my leaders with an fg knot. I haven’t tried to tie on double lined braid but I was thinking it would work without having to cut the Bimini off and re tie one.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Use the RP Knot and call it a day. FG Knot (to me) is tied on when you're at home and planning the trip while packing your equipment. During a hot bite, I want a less diva knot.

Reactions: finsane
    Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    No, but I use the FG knot a lot. The RP is too big and flakey. Cut the bimini off and use a single strand for better grip.

Sounds interesting though.

@yessokk ?

Upvote 0

AlwaysHookedUp

Almost A Member
    Jun 13, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    J
    Boat
    Center Console
    Also is there knot I can tie in the leader to create a loop and put on the Bimini with a cats paw? 3-5 turn surgeons knot in leader for example? Will this hold up against 150+ BFT?

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Use the RP Knot and call it a day. FG Knot (to me) is tied on when you're at home and planning the trip while packing your equipment. During a hot bite, I want a less diva knot.
    I used to think the same thing, a little practice and using the right method I can tie an FG much quicker and easier now. I use the pinched between the fingers method. Rizzuto finish and a quick pull with the pullers and you back to business quickly.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I used to think the same thing, a little practice and using the right method I can tie an FG much quicker and easier now. I use the pinched between the fingers method. Rizzuto finish and a quick pull with the pullers and you back to business quickly.

I meant to add that some people have mastered the knot enough to do it well and quickly. If you're one of them (you are), then have at it.

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Yale
    Boat
    32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
    Had to tie an FG on the deck of the Tomahawk last trip. It will draw a crowd. I spent a couple of weeks learning to tie it efficiently. A painful, frustrating process but it was worth it. When the mono gets low it's FG time.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp

Yes, of course :-) , have tested a few different knots using the doubled line of a bimini. The FG was one of them. There is actually a modest improvement in the ABS
    using the bimini doubled line. Certainly no negative effects from using it.

But.... the testing has shown that it is very important to make sure that the doubled line is pulled evenly against the bimini to make sure both lines are of equal length when doing the wraps for the FG, or any knot for that matter. And when cinching down always pull on the single standing line of the spectra. This makes sure there is equal pressure on both doubled lines coming from the bimini forming the wraps for the FG. Keeping that pressure as equal as possible on both lines is one of the keys to a strong bimini for any application.

As a side note: The number of twists for a bimini is usually a point of differing opinions. The number of twists can vary dramatically depending on the pound test and the manufacture of the line being used. That is why there can be occasional contention regarding the number of twists required for the strongest bimini. The general rule is that too few wraps can be a detriment, too many wraps never hurts.
    Consequently would recommend a minimum of 50 twists for all wts. and type of lines, especially 30# and below. Testing has shown 50 to produce the strongest and most consistent results for all combinations of line wts. and mfgs. Personally use 50-52 twists for everything.
    Also strength and consistency can be improved by incorporating the wrapping modification below. Right at the switch back is where the BT breaks most of the time. That can be reduced by making the modification below at the switch back point.
    My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

36220295-CDB8-4A73-92F4-7885CF5E63AC.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0