yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have tested the FG knot extensively. Below are the important things learned, hope they are beneficial.

Disclaimer: Have only tested the FG up to 60# spectra to 60# fluoro and mono. So objective information for the 3 digit lines is not available . But the principals below can reasonably be applied to the heavier lines.

Number of wraps:
Is dependent on the line material and the line diameter. The FG works on the Chinese Finger Trap principle. It cinches itself into the leader creating so much friction that it exceeds the pulling force. That is why it is so important to really cinch the knot down as tight as possible so as to allow the spectra to grip into the leader. Fluoro is quite a bit harder then mono. For the same diameter fluoro you will need more turns. For the softer mono fewer turns. As the diameter increases you will need less turns because for each wrap of the spectra more surface area is covered thus more friction is obtained with each wrap. Using a smaller diameter more turns are needed.

An important consideration is to realize for optimal results you need to adjust the number of turns for each different combination of spectra and leader. This is because different manufactured fluoro/monos have different surface hardness which alters the friction per wrap. And different manufactures of spectra have different coefficient of friction due to various coatings applied. BTW spectra is intrinsically very slippery. Its coefficient of friction is very close to Teflon.

How to determine the number of wraps required:
Start with, lets say 12 wraps each way. Cinch down with cinching tools
(a must) as hard a possible. Check for loose wraps at the top. Properly cinched all the wraps will start to turn translucent , a definite color change. If no loose wraps keep adding more wraps, and re-test. Keep adding wraps until a wrap or two will not cinch down at the top of the knot. Then just back off to the previous number of wraps and you are set to go. If an error is to be made, more wraps are better the too few wraps. You may loose a few pounds of ABS with too many turns but with too few the whole knot can slip off the tag end.

Finish for the FG:
Have found that the finish be it half hitches or a Rizzutto has no effect on the ABS of the knot. It is there to just keep the FG wraps from unraveling and smooth its transition through the guides. And the extra extension of the tag end can allow for some slippage if the knot was not cinched down properly. Personally like a 6 turn Rizzutto with a very small amount of Tac Glue on it. A Rizzutto is almost impossible to unravel where half hitches seem to easily come loose.

The link below reinforces the need for proper cinch down.

Hope the above is helpful,
Walt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
I do 12 wraps, but have done more. I'm guessing you cant "overwrap"? Any thoughts on that?
If you are doing it for jigging rods and just drop down next to the boat you will not have a problem, it can get tricky when you are trying to cast further with a popping/ iron rod and it will hit the guides more. Other than that I never had a problem with wrapping more and I honestly did not see any advantages ( I never had a leader slip out of the knot soo far but I am also adding superglue to my finished knot and don’t keep knots from one trip to another unless they are really close between)

Reactions: yessokk
Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I do 12 wraps, but have done more. I'm guessing you cant "overwrap"? Any thoughts on that?

Would suggest that you just follow the
"How to determine the number of wraps required:"
In the paragraph 4 posts above. You will have to tie a few test knots at home but it will be time well spent. Too many wraps you will be OK but to few may cause slippage. It basically depends on how hard your leader material is. 15 to 20 wraps usually does it but have had to go as high as 24 with some spectra/leader combinations.

Mr. Chris above brings up an important point. Your leader and that spectra to leader join knot should be retied for each successive trip or if a multi day , every day. . Just like cutting off 2 ft of leader and retying your hook after every tuna when using 15/20#. That leader section takes the most abuse. Minimizing potential failures is an important aspect of consistent success.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
Walt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Good post Walt. I would like to point out the 20 lb is a special case, and that it will tie more easily with 30 or 40 lb braid than 50 or especially 65lb braid. If you use a dedicated 20 lb outfit I would certainly recommend using the smaller braids as it doesn't make sense to use 50 or 65 lb braid anyway for that rig.

Upvote 0

rcjoutdoors

Dew werk!
Feb 11, 2020
Sunrise
Name
Richie Corrillo
Boat
Proline
I remember when I first learned how to tie it, or thought I did.....slip slip slip. I tend to leave some tag end on now, but I usually wrap the line around the handle of my pliers and pull until I turn blue.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Good post Walt. I would like to point out the 20 lb is a special case, and that it will tie more easily with 30 or 40 lb braid than 50 or especially 65lb braid. If you use a dedicated 20 lb outfit I would certainly recommend using the smaller braids as it doesn't make sense to use 50 or 65 lb braid anyway for that rig.

Yes,, an important point I missed. I Normally use 30# spectra (Sufix 832)
and never higher then 40#.
Thanks Mr. DennisV

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
i can see melting a little mono/fluoro ball at the end of the tag as an added stopper insurance. but when i'm in a hurry, i tie the collins knot.

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn on way to Florida
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Great info, but everytime I try this knot I get lost.
Too Dyslexic I guess?

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
Knot is fairly easy to tie even with 15 lbs test fluoro or mono. With the heavier leader I think it best with the tool as I have the hardest time getting a good cinch

Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp

Yes you are correct. Over wrapping does not alter the breaking strength of the knot. It just does not look as pretty. :)
It is the under wrapping that will cause the knot to slip off the tag end of the leader. That is why it is so important to really cinch down the knot.
Which is the main point in the video posted in the original thread above.

Sorry about the time lapse in this reply as I just now read your question.
Walt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Too many wraps can affect how the knot cinches down by preventing the wraps from applying equal compression across the knot. I have found that, with 30lb 832 and 12-30lb Premier FC, about 20 wraps is ideal. The braid should change evenly in color and texture when it is tight, this indicates an effective grip on the leader. Loose wrap failures result from the knot cinching and locking on one side of the knot before all wraps are tight.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    I remember when I first learned how to tie it, or thought I did.....slip slip slip. I tend to leave some tag end on now, but I usually wrap the line around the handle of my pliers and pull until I turn blue.

SLIPPAGE.... it is almost always caused by too few wraps. More friction is needed , just keep adding wraps and the slippage will stop.

Walt

Last edited:
    Upvote 0