FG KNOT HELP TO GET CORRECT - Super Glue?

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
I'm trying to get my FG knot figured out.

I'm doing 20 line turns on the bottom, 15 overhand on the top, plus a double knot on the top.

The pic shows 50lb Seaguar fluorocarbon and 65lb Power Pro Super8 Slick.

In my photo, please see the 'wet' drop, that's how my drop dried.

I'm wonder in anyone has experimented and tested using crazy glue to keep the end of the knot from loosening (my unglued knots seem prone to loosening and am not sure I am doing it right.

Note I am taking great pains to not let my glue bleed into my main line (is getting glue on the main line even an issue to avoid)?

PS: THIS KNOT IS BAD ON SEVERAL POINTS I am trying to get right:

FGknot1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Testpilot

nefarious235

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam

The way, the light. I do put just the smallest it's bitsy drop on the rizutto finish to lock it.

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
I used to painstakingly tie the FG the night before my trips but now I just use the John Collins and tie it ANYTIME. Just as good IMHO! Easier than a Double Uni and passes guides almost as easily. I’m a convert.

loosendrag

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
I find that a 3-turn overhand knot at the end stays in place pretty well.
But if you want it finished better, a drop of tac glue will take care of it.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
You should cinch the coils down until they change color. I wouldn't bother with so many overhand knots. I usually do 3 or 4 then finish with a 5 turn barrel knot. I don't feel the need for the crazy glue but it won't hurt, and it doesn't hurt if it touches your mono or fluoro.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
after you tie your first half hitch, you need to pull it under tension until it turns color (as noted above). I only use 2 or 3 half hitches, trim the mono and melt the end, then a 3 turn Rizutto. Pull the tags good and snug, then coat with Tac-glue.
I don't trim my spectra tag until the glue has dried so I can nub it close with a razor blade.

Reactions: geebee

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I burn the end of the mono to create a catch edge, extra prevention from slipping. It gets covered up pretty good.
Your knot looks great, how do you tie it off (lock it from unraveling)?

tieoff.jpg

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
after you tie your first half hitch, you need to pull it under tension until it turns color (as noted above). I only use 2 or 3 half hitches, trim the mono and melt the end, then a 3 turn Rizutto. Pull the tags good and snug, then coat with Tac-glue.
I don't trim my spectra tag until the glue has dried so I can nub it close with a razor blade.
Great, thank you and the 'noted above' for the tips... I will post an update I've done my homework.

< crazy glue ... won't hurt, and it doesn't hurt if it touches your mono or fluoro.
< 3-turn overhand knot
< 5 turn barrel knot.
< 3 turn Risotto
< tac glue

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
I finish with 2 turn rizzuto a half hitch and 3 turn rizzuto. Maybe the last rizzuto lock unravel (rarely) but by that time it’s also time to change leader/top shot.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
I should add the knot-tying video tutorials are 10 times more difficult for me to follow when the camera is in front of the knot Vs seeing through the tyer's point of view....

Reactions: Shewillbemine

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Use a mirror.
I think that's the same reason why I couldn't learn from "Just Dance" PlayStation game (they present a backwards perspective), but in video it called a "flip" horizontal which the better players should be able to do.

Then the knot (and rod-building) videos seem to be lacking the extreme closeups and freeze frames that would really be useful to slow learners like me...

Reactions: Shewillbemine

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Great, thank you and the 'noted above' for the tips... I will post an update I've done my homework.

< crazy glue ... won't hurt, and it doesn't hurt if it touches your mono or fluoro.
< 3-turn overhand knot
< 5 turn barrel knot.
< 3 turn Risotto
< tac glue
You don't need all that. Do the 20 turns, 2 overhand knots, pull tight, 1 more overhand knot. Don't over think it. If that doesn't hold, you're doing it wrong. Just watch the Youtube vidoes...I don't see any of what you posted.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
[The way, the light....
What is that lighter called MB Custom Lurers uses in mono burn - it has a groove in its shield to protect the knot from the fire?

Can you imagine that video with some extreme closeups...

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 6.04.06 PM.png

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
BE sure to study the attached link below,,,, very very important.
Would highly recommend cinching tools to pull this knot tight. It's difficult to apply adequate pulling pressure with your bare hands. Also the 6 wrap Rizzutto finish does not need glue but it does not hurt.

Last edited:

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Mark
Boat
None
Been tying the FG knot with 4 half hitch knots without failure. As someone suggested up there, cinch the braid down after one or two half hitch. The FG section should get darker. From there tie two more half hitch and cinch that down. Continue to cinch the braid and FC/mono down real good and cut the ends. No fails yet, but haven’t had anything pull more than 20lb of drag.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Reactions: ripped and geebee

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
BE sure to study the attached link below,,,, very very important.
Would highly recommend cinching tools to pull this knot tight. It's difficult to apply adequate pulling pressure with your bare hands...
Ya know this has to win the prize for usefulness.

I read many posts noting cinch the knot until it changes color but never came close to understanding how to do that until I reviewed your "#1 mistake" video - I believe I actually get it now.

Now I be looking for the the 6 wrap Rizzutto tut to lock and finish it...

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Ya know this has to win the prize for usefulness.

I read many posts noting cinch the knot until it changes color but never came close to understanding how to do that until I reviewed your "#1 mistake" video - I believe I actually get it now.

Now I be looking for the the 6 wrap Rizzutto tut to lock and finish it...
View the 3rd post on pg. 1 by
nefarious235 Dan
Watch until the end he shows how to do it.

Walt

Elitetv1958

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music
I'm trying to get my FG knot figured out.

I'm doing 20 line turns on the bottom, 15 overhand on the top, plus a double knot on the top.

The pic shows 50lb Seaguar fluorocarbon and 65lb Power Pro Super8 Slick.

In my photo, please see the 'wet' drop, that's how my drop dried.

I'm wonder in anyone has experimented and tested using crazy glue to keep the end of the knot from loosening (my unglued knots seem prone to loosening and am not sure I am doing it right.

Note I am taking great pains to not let my glue bleed into my main line (is getting glue on the main line even an issue to avoid)?

View attachment 941728
Just for the record, I tac glue all my knots. Bimini twist, uni, surgeons, everything. Insurance.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I think that's the same reason why I couldn't learn from "Just Dance" PlayStation game (they present a backwards perspective), but in video it called a "flip" horizontal which the better players should be able to do.

Then the knot (and rod-building) videos seem to be lacking the extreme closeups and freeze frames that would really be useful to slow learners like me...
Exactly what you mean. My pet peeve when I watch videos about fishing knots is when the guy in the video decides to talk for the first 5 minutes. The best videos or the ones that just go straight to the knot and close. Not this I'm holding clear mono 5 feet from the camera while wearing a white shirt.

Reactions: geebee