Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster

Was looking for issues with this knot and found this. Seems the failure happens on the very first wrap. If that first wrap does not dig in and hold it will transfer to loosen the other wraps. Super important to get a color change at that one point during cinching.

In this link are some good videos and one has how that first wrap is important, especially when casting through guides. See the video FG knot flaws...

Last edited:

Green Ogre

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 28, 2009
Orygun
Name
Shrek
Boat
Willie Predator, Learned Dory
I've been staying out of this one because the FG is all I and my buddies use. I have used the RP, improved Albright and now only use the FG from 25# flouro to 200 lb mono.

The thing that is vital is "setting" the knot with a pair of pulling handles. When you do, the spectra will bite into the mono or flouro. You will see the color of the line change when the spectra breaks the surface.

If you are trying to set by hand...dont.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
That is a really nice setup Fishy. One thing that works well for me is a small needle nose to grab the Spectra tag end for the Rizzuto pull and grab the tag end of the nylon for my third pull to straighten the knot.

Reactions: Fishybuzz

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
most likely being mis tied....

Reactions: Juanba