Fever Dreams

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by MidwayJ, Jun 21, 2011.

1. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Howzit gang, long time no post. I was lucky enough to fish this year aboard what I call the Spacecraft, a 70' aluminum hull with twin 715s and ride control. The ride control basically consists of a set of foils that make adjustments while underway to trim the hull up/down and minimize pitch and roll. The technology is really cool, but what's even cooler is being able to go around 20kts in pretty much any sea state you can imagine.

This boat is expensive as fuck to fish, and the tunas ALWAYS go straight for the foils at leader, but you can go anywhere you want to fish. If you were in the tourney, you probably saw us. We had a knuckle crane on the stern and an 8' x 5' picnic table ratcheted to the roof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Team 198 Donna W:

[​IMG]

We blasted straight to the X on Saturday and arrived there around 8. Plenty of birds working and boats trolling around. We did donuts for a few hours but no fish. Decided to slide down in the deep back towards Waianae. Picked up a few small mahi around mid day, but otherwise, things were very slow for us. At about 2 pm, a very fish savvy crew member was at the helm and made the call to head to the Kauai Pinnacle, even though we wouldn't get there until around 330pm.

Upon arrival, the area looked pretty dead. We fished through stop fishing at 4pm without any action and then turned the boat towards the barn. At about 430 pm the center starts dumping line the way we like it to. 15 minutes later the majestic and highly sought after sicklefin circles up from the deep and hits the deck.

Set back up and continue in towards the CO, and the center comes down again about 20 minutes later. After a big run straight down, the mainline parts, WTF?! Best guess is that it was nicked or scuffed on the first fish as it was recently spooled. Throttle back up and the port rigger comes down, screams line for 10 seconds before coming off. I'm thinking, at least we know where we going tomorrow. Continue on to CO, lots of bird life around the whole way, something we hadn't seen much of since X in the am. About 4 miles from the can, we see a shark surfing down the face of one of the considerably large swells out there. A couple minutes later, the center goes again (!) and we get this one on board, a little smaller than the first, about 130ish. It's about 630 when we get it on deck and we blast in, break down, and go to sleep on the boat.

[​IMG]

Sunday comes and we blast back to CO, drop lines and start trolling. Out out out to the pinnacle and beyond, the area looks dead, no life, no bites. Big water, rough seas. At around 11am we move west to the thousand and start working our way back up towards Kaena. Shortly after we turn, the center goes and we get a 38 lb. chucker, fish on board, aw-riiiite!

[​IMG]

After this, things got radical. We found what looked like a mahi pile around noon, and sure enough a cute little rat comes greyhounding into the spread and commits suicide on the short rigger. We slow down to about 3kts while we winch him in, and we start setting up to bait any followers. Just as he's getting close to the boat, the short center goes bendo and starts wailing. I take a look at the drag lever and realize holy shit this is not a mahi and run to get the short corner clear. Just as I get there, it goes too, and I start screaming to the Capt (it's a long way to the helm) "double ahi, double ahi!" He thinks we are baiting already and hears "double mahi, double mahi!"

After we clarify, we get the boat slowed down and are lucky enough to get both fish on board thanks to some terrific driving and relative calm amidst crazy antics at leader. I sacrifice a pair of Maui Jims and lose my voice during the fight, but we couldn't be happier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're still 38 miles from Waianae, so we start working back in. We were having a really tough time reaching Fever Base on the VHF, and hoping that our larger fish will place. Mahalo nui loa to Team 24, boat Kilikina, who gave us a relay to Fever Base with 5 minutes left to stop fishing. Headed into Waianae and found out we didn't place but didn't really care after catching 4 in two days!!

[​IMG]

Thanks to WBFC for putting on this great tourney, all the anglers and capt's for making it so much fun, Garrett of Tsutomu lures for getting me a replacement fish head just in time for the tourney after I lost it (7" purple bullet) to a frisky blue the week before, Reel Guy for the smooth drags, Navatek/Pacific Shipyards guys for letting me fish on the spacecraft with them, and my bro and fishing partner Guava Patch for chasing the dream with me. Big props to everyone who brought in big fish in big water out there, we were lucky to be on the big boat and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the guys who go out there and do this all the time on smaller vessels, cause it ain't easy. I'd like to note that all our action was had on a rising tide, and the tide was topping out Saturday pm when we had all our bites in the blind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck to everyone out there in BD land, let's hope things only get better with this upcoming moon cycle. AND HOW ABOUT THAT 240 BIGEYE?!!! I want to be on one of those.

Aloha,

J

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. 2quartslow

2quartslow Newbie

Name:
    Stoney
    Boat:
    The one you are worried about.
    Freakin awesome.

Aloha,
    Stoney:puff:

3. oldmanadam

oldmanadam Newbie

Name:
    adam lahne
    Boat:
    22' fiberform "amateur hour"
    Way to get em Johnny! The crane makes off loading prety easy. And I really like the upgrade to the cabin top. P I M P !

4. anykine77

anykine77 Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    28' Custom-Anykine
    John,

Good going on the fish. You guys passed us on sun morning just outside of Keaau beach park. I crossed behind you guys (28' Blue Cabin), hardly any wake at all, I was surprised. Nice pics

Ron

5. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    J and the whole crew of the Spacecraft,

Awesome 2 days for sure; good goin' on the 4 with the Hebi thrown in for good measure. Ridin' in comfort.

Cheers
    Pat

6. fishnsoldier

fishnsoldier Newbie

Name:
    Noel
    Boat:
    Looking for the next one
    Hey bro nice boat. Is that a commercial? or Private vessel? Looks like a party boat style vessel...Nice Job

7. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Looks like a hell of a weekend. Way to go on the fish. We were heading up to X saturday morning and we saw you guys pass us on the fly( I was aboard Kilikina) needless to say the boat and seas were impressive. Great pics too

8. gfukushima

gfukushima Newbie

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    Force 21
    Right on John, grey fishing with you and lookin forward to the next one!

9. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    good going! nice report & fish- I like that boat - I used to have a trimaran wave piercing boat that was known as the 'space boat' and the registered name was "Enterprise" - I fished it out of Oahu and got plenty fish - it is now in CA w/ a mast on it (when I owned it it had no mast, and 22' outriggers)... thought you guys would get a kick out of it

http://www.wavepiercer.com/

tight lines,

10. da reel man

da reel man Newbie

Name:
    cuz
    Boat:
    21 alii kai
    congrats john

11. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    that's an incredible catch,unreal boat, great pics, thanks for sharing!!

12. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    I have a buddy that was on the boat with you guys....hear that you burned 600 gallons of diesel this weekend. Ouch! Don't want to mention his name just in case the fuel consumption of this vessel is a military secret!

13. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    But I have to admit, I bet you guys were way more comfortable than my crew was when we were outside of CO...

14. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Thanks Ron, we saw your boat that thing is beautiful! Is it a modified Seacraft by any chance? Re: the wake, I've always been surprised by this boat's wake, it isn't huge and it actually lays out some really nice trolling lanes for the corners. She gets bit, too.

Sup Noel, hope all is well. It's an R&D vessel designed by Navatek and fabricated by the guys at Pacific Shipyards. You can see more here: http://www.navatekltd.com/blb7065.html

Yeah, we seen you guys bucking it up there, way to get after it in the rough stuff for sure. The craziest thing is that I was actually skirting and rigging the 7" fishhead Garrett gave me while we passed you. That's the true testimony to this boat's ride- ability to rig lures while doing 20kts in a smoking headsea.

You know dat! Guava Patch has your lures, hopefully he left them for you at the yard and they didn't go to Kauai with him this morning!! Let's go get the big one when GJ gets back.

15. Mr. Aroha

Mr. Aroha Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Aimee Nichole
    Guava patch is my hero!!!

16. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Nice going on all the ahis. That boat is pretty wild.

Jonny