Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
Hey guys,
Picked up this rod which is assumed to be a Lamiglass or Fenwick. Peeled the cord back a bit to find what looks like D8 FF. Only thing I can find online suggests that the”FF” may be a fly rod.

The rod is an 8’, 1 piece wrapped as a conventional. It’s quite whippy.

Side-by-side shows the glass in comparison to a Fenwick I have (Fenwick being the lighter glass).

Anyone with knowledge of old rods have any thoughts on this? Am I in the ballpark with my findings that this may be a 1 piece fly rod blank?

Attachments

Last edited:

SpecialK

May 13, 2004
So. OC
Name
John
Boat
none
Fenwick Fly rod blanks were labeled FL. So for example a seven foot five weight fly rod would be model FL84-5.

Mtnfshr

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
SpecialK is spot on. The glass in that butt seems pretty thick so I'm not sure why it's such a noodle. That's if the rod in question is the one you're holding the butt of.
So the blank is marked D8 FF ? That doesn't ring any bells for me as it isn't typical of Fenwicks or Lami's. D8 was Truline nomenclature, yet that doesn't match color with any blank I ever saw from them.

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
SpecialK and Mtnfsher, thanks for the follow up.

I saw the Fenwick FF's in my searches, which I assume is Fenwick Feralite, but again, they seem to be multi-piece fly rods. So the markings on this rod still confuse me.

Definitely not anywhere near a D8... just kind of looks like that's what is written. I'm sure the "D" was part of some other letter or number that got rubbed off.

That is the butt of the rod in question, definitely thick for how noodley it is. I was surprised when I pulled the butt cap off. Feels like it would fish somewhere between 10 and 20lb.

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
thats not real fenwick lettering either, somebodys been following around if u look u see different letters
Thanks for the info. I figured that could be some scribble from whoever wrapped it and potential nothing to do with the blank model.

As for the Lb 969, perhaps we are on the right track now, but the power rating would be much less than 9, since this thing is a noodle.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
The rating on a truline 4x is 30-#80 and whippy as can be.

2 things:

The ratings back in the day meant something a little different than what they do today and the actual power of that rod has more to do with the butt than whether or not it will cast an anchovy well.

Wish it was mine, my guess is Neptuna #528 beef stick.
If it is there may be a "stamped" number under the cord near the butt.

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
The rating on a truline 4x is 30-#80 and whippy as can be.

2 things:

The ratings back in the day meant something a little different than what they do today and the actual power of that rod has more to do with the butt than whether or not it will cast an anchovy well.

Wish it was mine, my guess is Neptuna #528 beef stick.
If it is there may be a "stamped" number under the cord near the butt.
I totally get that. However, this rod would not handle 40lb. While the butt is thick walled, the diameter (and bend) suggests less power... at least to me.

That being said, if it’s something that you are interested in, feel free to pm me to discuss.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
"interested" as in to buy? no thanks i have too many already. :D

my point is that what it "suggests" to you is probably correct in a modern rod but not necessarily so in a rod from the golden age of outdoor sports.
(with the 4x as a supporting example)

Logic: why would they put that much glass into a rod that couldn't handle #40?

fishcrazy

Apr 25, 2004
meridian,id
Name
ed
Boat
none
Thanks for the info. I figured that could be some scribble from whoever wrapped it and potential nothing to do with the blank model.

As for the Lb 969, perhaps we are on the right track now, but the power rating would be much less than 9, since this thing is a noodle.
its probably a 966, the higher the # the higher the power, i know the 969 series,both lb & jb , couple years ago i wrapped a lb 969 that was really a nice 30 stick, a lot like a light d8

Reactions: sealskinner

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
I have a PJ 969. Sweet Rod. Not the same glass though.
I used to have several Pacific Sticks back in the 80's. Wasn't it that color glass?

Last edited:

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
After many internet searches, I now have a strong feeling that this may be an LB961.