dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 28, 2007
OC
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
I'm eyeing a 5 day trip on the Shogun. Would love to hear feedback and experience from those who have been on the boat for a trip. Thanks!

atun53

Almost A Member
Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
Aaron and Russ are fish killers, run a good operation. Russ has really stepped up over the last 2 years. Kenny has stabilized the galley, great food. Charlie and the rest of the deck guys are on the spot. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Reactions: pascuale

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I'm eyeing a 5 day trip on the Shogun. Would love to hear feedback and experience from those who have been on the boat for a trip. Thanks!
the funny thing is when you start Talking to Arron
you will think you have Know him For a long
time, he is totally down to earth
and is really super nice.

Last edited:

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
They are horrible that's what they been around for years and years and years! Great boat and very fishy. Jump on and enjoy!!

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Agree with all the above, went by myself nov.2015 on 5 day and had a fabulous time, they are a great bunch, very helpful, and patience of saints. The fishing was excellent, however the tangles were horrific. 6 guys in bow and 6 guys in each corner of stern with fish hanging, never heard a raised voice of frustration from any of the crew. Went to Guadalupe with gale warnings up, the boat is heavy and rides great (I beleive the apollo canceled their trip due to the weather). Highly recommend it!

Reactions: Deep Water Sail

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I've been on 5 Guadalupe trips on the Shogun during the past 2 years and I can tell you from experience that they run an excellent operation. Aaron, Russ and the rest of the crew are really on top of their game and they work like mad to land every fish hooked. Kenny is one of the best chefs in the fleet and you will be amazed at the meals he puts on the table. The boat may not be as new or fancy as some of the other boats in the fleet but they are second to none when it comes to catching fish. I'm already signed up for an early Nov. trip and I am trying to get on another Guadalupe trip in Sept. or Oct. but they are all sold out.

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
I agree with everyone else I have been on 3 5 days on the shogun and honestly cant say I have any complaints at all have always caught fish and been comfortable. The food is excellent and Aaron and Russ are both awesome captains.

Jun 1, 2013
Santa Barbara, Ca
Name
John Wightman
Boat
T2
Agree with all the above, went by myself nov.2015 on 5 day and had a fabulous time, they are a great bunch, very helpful, and patience of saints. The fishing was excellent, however the tangles were horrific. 6 guys in bow and 6 guys in each corner of stern with fish hanging, never heard a raised voice of frustration from any of the crew. Went to Guadalupe with gale warnings up, the boat is heavy and rides great (I beleive the apollo canceled their trip due to the weather). Highly recommend it!

After riding the Apollo for twelve years fishing Guadalupe
she is a heavy weather boat due to her construction and the location of her fuel tank from bow to stern. She rides like a small Royal Polaris. Any boat who decides to take paying customers into a GALE is risking damage to the boat and her customers. It only takes one mistake in a GALE and its bye, bye. I have been in Hurricanes and Typhoons and when you are in your bunk at night, you are thinking-GEE, I hope the old girl makes it to morning.
Deep Water Sailor

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
3rd world country panga fleet
Great crew! I went on my first trip this year and it was a blast. The food is waaaay too good. Make sure you bring some larger size pants. Just great service, no bad attitudes.

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I want to fish this boat. On my very first LR trip many years ago Aaron was a decky on the RP. He took the time to teach me a couple key knots as we were leaving the port, making sure I got started off well. Class act.

sierraed

Long rods and big boats
Oct 10, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Ed
Boat
Royal Polaris and Intrepid
Agree with all that has been said about the great crew and nice fishing platform. And I will say that the food is some of the very the best in the fleet with huge portions so bring your expandomatic pants or ask for half a serving!

Reactions: bob1825