February 8, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui. The fishing has picked up over the past couple of days. Quite a few mahis have been coming in on the troll, some shibis have been caught around the buoys, and there have been occasional marlin bites. All in all, the current signs of life out on the water are pretty encouraging. Here is what has been coming into the harbor over the past week.

[​IMG]
    Jay Lafavre and his friends fished aboard the Action and came across these mahis at a FAD. Captains Patrick and Jukka had gone out the previous night to catch bait and their hard work paid off as these fish were all caught on live opelu. For those people who are unfamiliar with FADs, FAD stands for fish aggregation device. Each FAD is basically a buoy anchored to the bottom of the ocean that serves as the base for a marine food web. Bait fish congregate around the buoy and eat the algae that grow on the structure. The high concentrations of bait fish attract larger predatory fish, which in turn attract fishermen.
    [​IMG]
    Jerry Stenson and Pat Miller each caught a mahi on the Start Me Up Cuz. Jerry and Pat were impressed by the cleanliness of the boat and the overall hospitality, which Captain Craig and crewman Rich were happy to hear.
    [​IMG]
    James Barger caught this nice bull mahi on the Start Me Up La Dat. The mahi originally came in on the short rigger Ahi P but ended up settling for the Super Ninja on the long rigger. Super Ninjas have proven to be very effective lures for Captain Ryan.
    [​IMG]
    Both Andy Fryza and Garth Lucht landed a shibi on a four hour afternoon trip. The tunas were hooked simultaneously on a double bite just minutes from the harbor.
    [​IMG]
    Sid Lawrence and Mark Blesener caught up to these mahis on the Action. Mark’s mahi was caught on a lure while Sid’s mahi ate a natural bait.
    [​IMG]
    Patrick Graham and his friends came across these two mahis while fishing on the Start Me Up Again. Both mahis were caught on lures in the area that Captain Steve Cravens sometimes calls the pickle barrel.
    [​IMG]
    These three happy anglers fished on the Start Me Up Das It. Along with Captains Denny and Randy, they took advantage of a bait bite at LA buoy to land four mahis.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Too caught two mahis for Bruce Chatman and Jim O’Neal. Jim got his fish just minutes away from the harbor on the way in. With such deep water so close to shore, the fishing is not really over until all the hooks are out of the water.
    [​IMG]
    Paul Herzog from North Dakota hooked his mahi on a nine inch jet while fishing with Captain Denny on the Start Me Up Das It.
    [​IMG]
    David Marks, Karl Lennox, Chance Nygard, and Brian and Jamie Poole found some nice fish on the Start Me Up Again. They took advantage of a double bite to catch two of their five mahis, all of which were caught by trolling lures. There is absolutely no doubt that Captain Steve Cravens has been on fire lately.
    [​IMG]
    Ryan Kalalau picked up this mahi in the bottom of the ninth on a four hour trip. The mahi could not resist the short rigger Ahi P.
    [​IMG]
    The shoals of Kahoolawe produced four mahis for anglers Shana Zittleman, Jeff Wood, and Ken Nichols. The hot lures were the purple softhead and orange Coggins.
    [​IMG]
    Karem and Ali, the father and brother of a bloodydecks.com founder, went out on the Start Me Up Das It with Captain Randy. They landed an afternoon mahi in the vicinity of LA buoy. It was great to get these guys out there and get them a fish.
    [​IMG]
    Dan Hooper caught an uku while bottom fishing on the Start Me Up Again. Dan also caught and released a variety of other reef fish besides the grey snapper.
    [​IMG]
    The Renschler gang had a great time on their bottom fishing trip since the trip was perfect for the kids. Bottom fishing typically yields steady action and many of the fish caught are released. Some edible bottom fish are kept, however, such as these moanas and uku.
    [​IMG]
    Becky and Jim Ibison took the advice of a cousin and spent their day fishing with Captain Randy and crewman John on the Start Me Up Das It. The north shore of Molokai produced some fun fishing for Becky and Jim as they caught these shibis and mahis at N buoy on light tackle. They were also lucky enough to hook up a blue marlin. Overall, it was a great day on the water.
    [​IMG]
    Rebecca and Scott Scherr only needed two hours to catch this ono on the Start Me Up La Dat with Captains Ryan and Brandon. Apparently fish can be caught on a two hour trip and onos can be caught in the winter.
    [​IMG]
    Anglers Dave Granger, Don Otto, Jim McDonnell, and Dick Crail had a great day on the Action with Captain Jukka and crewman Ryan. They used a combination of fresh bait and lures on light tackle to entice these mahis and tunas. Their shibis were pretty nice in comparison to the tunas that have been hanging around the buoys lately.
    [​IMG]
    Jim Hopkins, here on Maui for his thirtieth wedding anniversary, took some time to go fishing with Captain Steve Carroll and crewman Gabe. Jim boated a couple of cow mahis, one of which was caught on Captain Steve’s very own Maui Fishin bullet lure while working the shoals of Kahoolawe.
    [​IMG]
    The Runyan trio got all bit up on a bait pile discovered by Captain Craig on the Start Me Up Cuz and came away with a nice cow mahi. The bait pile was at secret spot, which is actually just an inside pinnace, not a secret spot.

Thanks for checking out another Start Me Up fishing report. Based on the quality of the fishing over the past couple of days, I should be posting another report relatively soon. Until then, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. fetzerb

fetzerb BAMF

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    none at the time
    looks like a pretty decent haul for the first week in Feb. Good job, Nice post. Hopeully the bite will improve to some bigger size fish.

3. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Thanks for the kudos, we keep trying. you can't catch 'em sitting on the couch!