February 2.5 day Baja Freezer Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by rtuna, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 5150

5150 Member

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Matson Inc.
    Are you going this weekend? I was on the waiting list and they called me two days ago with a spot that opened.

Can't wait !!!!!

2. rtuna

rtuna Newbie

Name:
    Bob R
    Boat:
    None
    Good information there, thanks. It would definitely be a plus to have a limited load. I got the cheeseburgers and breakfast burritos from their menu tab but it sounds like they offer a better dinner. The only thing I would be concerned about is fish processing. I have a twelve hour drive to San Diego and it would be longer to Virg's. The last San Diego trip we made I didn't go to 5 Star because it was late and the yellowtail we caught didn't last long in the freezer.

3. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    You would do the same for both.....have your fish filleted, put in plastic bag and put on ice in a ice chest....drive will be fine from both places. One big difference....Mirage overnight will allow you i day limit....10 rockfish, 2 lingcod. A true 2 day trip from Virg's would allow you 2 limits.....20 rockfish and 4 lingcod. Unless the mirage also hits up whitefish and sheepshead, then you could go home with 20 fish.

However, a 2 dayer on the Mirage usually includes 2 day rock cod limits, 2 day ling cod limits, perhaps some WSB and halibut, some white fish and sheepshead. In other words, a 2 dayer on the Mirage can come back with 20 fish/day, for a total of 40 fish. A true "freezer filler"....especially if you get to hit up St. Nick. Also,2 day trip on Mirage includes food....and Andrew loves to cook steak dinners, with all the trimmings. Add that to the shorter drive and I would choose the Mirage. I have fished both, and the outer Channel Islands can give you reds and lings equal in size to Big Sur any day. Also, fishing the Channel Islands gives you more options than Big Sur.

For me, it's a no brainer.......Mirage.

That's not to say I don't enjoy fishing Big Sur. It's beautiful. Hey, it's all fishing and you should enjoy it no matter where you go. Of course, I live 5 minutes from CISCO's, so I am biased:D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Thanks for the info JB, tear em up this weekend. I hope you post a report.

5. 5150

5150 Member

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Matson Inc.
    Your right....

I failed to mention the 33 lbs haibut that was also caught on that trip when we driffed into the sand but the guy was not in the JP. I didn't think I had to mention the other species you can catch.....but yes, other species can be targeted as well if conditiond dictate. WSB, Sheephead etc... and other tasty guys are caught and this is in addition to your 4 lings and 20 reds. Last year, we went off shore and grabbed 7 albacore trolling feathers while traveling back to Morro Bay.

Surprised walkerman, you didn't go with " you even know that the water flow in the toliets are faster on the Mirage then the Virg's boat, which should make it a No Brainer......Mirage".

I'm not going on the "who is better than who" thing your attempting here, but will agree with you on just go fishing.

6. 5150

5150 Member

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Matson Inc.

Will do big dog62!! Just heard the trip is a GO!!!!! Packing my camera & will post some photos. Wish you guys could make it.

7. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Ho hum

8. Peg North

Peg North Member

Name:
    "Buggywhip"
    Boat:
    Slow Poke
    I went on the 2.5 freezer special on the shogun for my 50th birthday and my advice is, do it. So much fun! If I were to go this year I'd bring my Baja special for yellows and my rock cod rig, saltiest with 50# braid, Izorline. 6x scramble egg salas jigs. Lots of weight. Maybe those jig heads you can put squid on. Hooks. Oh and my seasick patch. There that'll do it! Have fun! Great food and best coffee in the fleet.

9. rtuna

rtuna Newbie

Name:
    Bob R
    Boat:
    None
    I would call that motivational. :)