February 2, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui. The fishing has continued to be productive through the end of January and into the beginning of February. We are catching mostly mahis and some smaller tunas at the moment. We are hoping, however, to see some of the striped marlin that have been reported in other parts of the state. Only time will tell, but we’ll be out there looking. In the meantime, here are the fish we’ve been finding lately.

[​IMG]
    The shoals of Kahoolawe produced fish for the third day in a row. This time Dave Glacic hooked up a nice kawa kawa with Captain Ryan on the Start Me Up La Dat.
    [​IMG]
    Kirk Olsen’s mahi was also caught at the shoals of Kahoolawe on the Start Me Up La Dat with Captain Ryan.
    [​IMG]
    Captain Tim on the Start Me Up found a few fish on a four hour trip. Nina Colacino boated a mahi and Shannon and Mark Townsend each caught a kawa kawa. Both tunas struck a purple and black jet.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Too also had a successful four hour trip with Captain Mike at the helm. These mahis were landed by Larry Grey and Mark Mitter. Apparently fish can be caught close to the harbor.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Again has been on roll lately. This time Captain Steve Cravens found the fish on the ledge between Kahoolawe and Lanai. Jeff was the angler for the two mahis and Chad reeled in the two kawa kawas.
    [​IMG]
    Gus Bradley and his sons Eli and Carter had a great trip on the Start Me Up Cuz with Captain Steve Carroll and crewman Rich. The group did a combination trip with some trolling and also some bottom fishing. The two mahis were caught on the troll. Bottom fishing also produced some fish, most notably uku, nabeta, and moana kali. For those who are not familiar with Hawaiian bottom fish, an uku is a grey snapper, a nabeta is a type of wrasse that is found in sandy areas, and a moana kali is a variety of goatfish. All are good to eat, especially the uku and nabeta.
    [​IMG]
    Captain Tim on the Start Me Up put the Porisky party on the fish. First time offshore angler Marty Retherford posed with their catch of five mahis. The group, from Calgary in Alberta, Canada, said that the fishing was great and that they loved the efforts of the crew.
    [​IMG]
    Jim Katzka caught his mahi behind Lanai on the Start Me Up Again and is pictured with Captain Steve Cravens and crewman John French. The mahi exploded on the long corner position where an Elkins Jr. Popsicle lure was being trolled.
    [​IMG]
    Jim’s mahi was still lit up after being gaffed by crewman John. Thankfully John had a perfect gaff shot right below the pectoral fin so he could maintain control of the fish. It’s hard to beat catching a nice fish on a beautiful day with flat water.
    [​IMG]
    Ed Whittman was out in Hawaii for the first time and hooked up a mahi off the Lanai lighthouse. He learned some valuable information on his first time out: the Lanai lighthouse is a good place to look for fish.
    [​IMG]
    The Start Me Up Cuz got the job done on a two hour trip for Siera Belote. Captain Craig ventured out to the inside ledge off the west side of Maui where this mahi ate a four inch bullet lure.
    [​IMG]
    Brad Kuhnan from Minnesota picked this mahi up with a live opelu at Nassau buoy on the Action. Brad fishes on a lot of small lakes back at home and really enjoyed fishing on a much bigger body of water.
    [​IMG]
    This eager young angler was waiting to go out on a two hour afternoon trip. He said he was obsessed with fishing and couldn’t resist a photo opportunity with one of the mahis caught that morning. Their excitement is definitely one of the things that makes kids fun to take fishing.
    [​IMG]
    Stephanie Koerner and the crew of the Start Me Up La Dat were aroused from their morning stupor by this mahi. The fish bit at sunrise on a rootbeer jet running in the short corner position. That kind of bite is better than any cup of coffee. It’s really too bad that there aren’t any alarm clocks that sound like the clicker on a Shimano Tiagra.
    [​IMG]
    Ed and Glenda Minter caught a couple of fish on a four hour trip with Captain Randy on the Start Me Up Das It. Their mahi and kawa kawa were a little bit different than the salmon that they usually catch back home in Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    Chris Clark had some pretty good action on the Start Me Up Again with Captain Steve Carroll. Unfortunately, only one mahi was landed out of their four bites. The hot lure for the day was Captain Steve’s own bullet lure, which drew three strikes.
    [​IMG]
    Angler Lindsey Pillon visiting from St. Louis took time out of her vacation to go out and catch this mahi. Then she took some more time to cook up the fillets.
    [​IMG]
    Aida Brandt celebrated her birthday on the Start Me Up Cuz and reeled in a kawa kawa and a pretty nice aku. Aida found Start Me Up online and came all the way from Minnesota. It’s safe to say that she appreciated the weather on Maui.
    [​IMG]
    Greg Cochran, Mel Dancherer, Jesse Burgess, and Peter Hevenor snagged some mahis and shibis at a FAD buoy aboard the Action.
    [​IMG]
    The Zagestee group had a nice afternoon trip on the Start Me Up Cuz and came back to the harbor with a mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Gerry Laird fished with Captain Tim aboard the Start Me Up and brought back Start Me Up’s first fish of February. Gerry’s mahi hit a nine inch purple and silver jet.
    [​IMG]
    Greg Fitzgerald took a break from salmon fishing back home in Washington to go out on the Start Me Up La Dat and catch this mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Angler Don Christie started off his February by catching the rarest billfish species in the world. He caught his 32.5 lb. shortbill spearfish on the Action with Captain Patrick.
    [​IMG]
    Leonard Foss came across this mahi while trolling alongside a current line.
    [​IMG]
    Joe Chapple caught his mahi near a small pile of rubbish on the 100 fathom ledge off the twin sands of Kahoolawe. The fish didn’t want to bite at first but Captain Steve Cravens used his stop and go technique to sink the lures and draw the strike.

Thanks for taking a look at our report. If anyone would like a more current bite report for Maui, feel free to call Start Me Up’s booth at Lahaina Harbor at 808-667-7879 between 9am and 5pm Hawaii time or email us at [email protected]. Tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny