February 14, 2011 Lahaina Harbor, Maui

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Startmeup, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Aloha from Lahaina Harbor, Maui. Mahi mahi has continued to be the dominant catch and some decent-sized shibis (yellowfin and bigeye tuna) have been caught around the buoys. Baiting around the buoys has continued to be an effective tactic and quite a few mahis have also been caught around free-floating debris. Of course, trolling lures has continued to produce fish as well. Trolling may become an even more productive technique in the coming days since the striped marlin have finally shown up within range of Lahaina Harbor. On the first day of a potential striped marlin run, Start Me Up caught four. We’ll see what happens in the near future and if anyone wants a current daily report, then email [email protected] or call our harbor booth at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii time. Here is what has happened over the past week.

[​IMG]
    Dave Smith from Oklahoma caught this mahi on a lure running in the long gone position. The bite was picture perfect as the boat traveled over an inshore pinnacle holding a school of bait fish. Finding the fish exactly where they’re supposed to be is always nice.
    [​IMG]
    The tactic of baiting FAD buoys has continued to yield great success. Two of these mahis were caught doing just that and the other was picked up while trolling in the same area. Anglers Eric Evans and Steve and John Collins were all happy to get involved and land a fish.
    [​IMG]
    The Kalinski group came across these tunas and mahis at N buoy on the north shore of Molokai. The fish were caught on a mixture of live bait and lures and provided some fun on light tackle.
    [​IMG]
    Lindsay Largston caught a remarkable cow mahi while trolling the ledge off of Manele Bay on Lanai. Her fish was so big that the captain was excited enough to pose for a picture. Either that or the fish was so heavy she couldn’t hold it up without his help. Regardless, congratulations to Lindsay on an awesome fish.
    [​IMG]
    Klaus Berthelsen, Charlie Wileman, and Byron and Mike Wakefield had an exciting day on the water. With six mahi off the shoals of Kahoolawe, all hands were required on deck and everyone got busy.
    [​IMG]
    Terry Sevrin was able to snag this mahi with a seven inch black star lure on the short rigger. Terry was a generous guy and shared his fish so that everyone had enough for a barbeque.
    [​IMG]
    Team Start Me Up was able to get Tom Bearmon, Steve Alwan, Kevin Day, Rick Muntean, Mark Korhn, and Joe Busch on some fish. They did a good job and landed these five mahis, all at a FAD on the backside of Lanai.
    [​IMG]
    Travis and Allison Welder missed the ferry to Molokai and decided to spend some time fishing. They ended up doing an afternoon trip, caught a mahi, and then caught the next ferry to Molokai. What started out as a hectic day turned out to be a success.
    [​IMG]
    Trolling at the shoals of Kahoolawe has been producing fish as of late and Candace Nordhus got in on the action with a 14 lb. mahi.
    [​IMG]
    Start Me Up’s early trip ventured up to N buoy on the north shore of Molokai for the second time in three days. N buoy was holding fish again and Don Ballard, Tom Shubnell, and Joe Nelli took advantage of the opportunity. Don landed a nice mahi and Tom and Joe boated some shibis.
    [​IMG]
    Ken Farrage and his wife Janet got off to a hot start on their trip after finding a floating cargo net. They pulled a couple of mahis off the floating structure and then, while trolling later, Bob Bangen reeled in a 20 lb. bull mahi. The group also caught an aku.
    [​IMG]
    LA buoy, the FAD closest to Lahaina Harbor, has been producing some fish lately. Anglers Roy and Victoria Bridges caught two mahis there on a four hour afternoon trip. One mahi was caught on bait and the other bit a lure trolled in the vicinity of the buoy. Roy and Victoria said they had a great time on their first trip with Start Me Up and that they would certainly remember their experience for years to come.
    [​IMG]
    The Hinebauch group lit it up on the early trip. They found a rubbish pile that might as well have been a gold mine out on the thousand fathom ledge and took full advantage of their good fortune. The Hinebauch gang is used to catching fish back home in Alaska but 25 mahis is quite a haul.
    [​IMG]
    Angler Glen Muntzing picked up his mahi up while trolling behind Lanai. There had been some marlin bites in the area so this nice cow mahi got some hearts racing when it grabbed the purple softhead, a lure notorious for catching marlin.
    [​IMG]
    Cindy and Dale Oleksyn were all smiles after catching these two mahis at the shoals of Kahoolawe, an area that has been on a long streak of producing fish.
    [​IMG]
    Cliff Halliday and friends got in on the afternoon bite and hooked this mahi while trolling the 150 fathom ledge off of Lanai.
    [​IMG]
    Mike Betts, who has made a habit of turning his friends on to Start Me Up, did just that with Steve and Randy McLaren. Together, they caught these three mahi while baiting a FAD buoy. Going out at night to catch opelu (mackerel) for bait is a lot of work, but the hard work nearly always pays off in the end.
    [​IMG]
    The striped marlin that have been reported around the state finally found their way into our waters. Mike Gardner and Wade Charlton each landed a striped marlin on Start Me Up’s early trip. With the prospect of a potential striped marlin run, everyone at the harbor was so excited that we got an official weight on these two fish.
    [​IMG]
    The striped marlin caught by Mike and Wade were only part of the early trip’s catch. The trip, which also featured anglers Grahm Pollock and Pim and Johann Alberta, ended up with a mixed bag including two mahis, a shibi, and, of course, two striped marlin. These anglers had, without a doubt, a great day on the water.
    [​IMG]
    Tom Lang, a repeat angler who fished with Start Me Up twice this week, was in high spirits after catching a nice bull mahi. Brandon Wishard and Claude Nobauer were not to be outdone, however, as they both landed a striped marlin. All of the action came while trolling lures in deep water behind Lanai.
    [​IMG]
    A Start Me Up captain fillets a striped marlin at our dockside cleaning station. This convenient tool makes the job of filleting the catch for our anglers much quicker and easier.
    [​IMG]
    The fillets above are the finished product after cleaning part of a striped marlin. The fillets are ready to season and cook, although some people prefer to let the meat firm up overnight in the refrigerator. Striped marlin can be cooked like any other fish but the fillets are of such high quality that many people prefer to eat the fish raw as sashimi. Regardless of how the fish is prepared, striped marlin makes a delicious meal.
    [​IMG]
    Abbi Ingarfield caught her first ocean fish on an afternoon trip with her family. The mahi made for a great photo since the fish was almost as big as Abbi. The fish will provide, or already has provided, a great meal for Abbi and her family. Congratulations to Abbi on doing a great job getting this fish to the boat.
    [​IMG]
    Scott Sass, Nels Oftedahl, and Samer Kanaan were on edge during their afternoon trip due to all of the striped marlin caught earlier in the day. They ended up getting a rip on the mango Elkins Jr. Popsicle lure with orange and yellow skirts. The fish wasn’t a striped marlin but the guys weren’t about to turn their noses up at a mahi.

Thanks for taking a look at yet another Start Me Up fishing report. Hopefully the quality of the fishing will allow me to post another report relatively soon. If anyone would like a daily report for Lahaina Harbor, email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to fill you in. Another option is to call Start Me Up’s booth at Lahaina Harbor at 808-667-7879 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Hawaii time. Until the next report, tight lines.

Aloha,
    Jonny

2. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    Good times. Some of those fish look perfect for the bridle and a ride back behind the boat for a while....

3. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    Baby killer

4. LongRigger

LongRigger Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    50 ft Custom Sportfisher
    Go catch some yellowtail or rockfish.

5. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    Nice, good to see the striped marlin are around there to!
    Congrat's on the catches!

6. CHRISTINA GAIL

CHRISTINA GAIL Newbie

Name:
    BEN
    Boat:
    21 ALI'I KAI - CHRISTINA GAIL
    RIGHT ON NICE REPORT!

7. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    I have fished there before, and had about the same results as what is shown in the pics of this report. No doubt big fish are taken on occasion, but day in and day out, you pay a heck of a lot of money to fish on these boats and catch one or two small fish.

8. LongRigger

LongRigger Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    50 ft Custom Sportfisher
    In comparison to Oregon where your catching monsters right?

9. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    In comparison to the other Island locations in Hawaii like Kona etc.

10. jonesd055

jonesd055 Newbie

Name:
    Jonesy
    Boat:
    20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
    Where the hell is Ono Noah when u need him?

11. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Whiney tree hugger...

There, happy?

12. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Dude, w/ that kind of attitude why don't you play the fishing game on the wii or take up baking? Not a very big game attitude my friend...and surprise, you come up short. Start Me Up gets their share, including winning the Haloween Shootout in 2009. Nuff said.

Tight lines,

13. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    Dude, It has nothing to do with attitude. It is an observation of just about every fishing report you guys post from Lahaina. Check most all other reports on this board from other locations in Hawaii and you regularly see bigger fish; nice wahoo, much bigger tuna and marlin caught much more regularly.
    As I understand it the water near Lahaina is quite a bit shallower near port versus deep water reached five minutes outside of the other locations.
    I understand you guys not being very pumped up about me saying it, but it is an accurate observation based upon the reports you post all the time.
    Nuff said................

14. Si Como No

Si Como No Newbie

Name:
    JR
    Boat:
    not yet
    The reports are pretty wimpy, but looking forward to your next one and better success! Rat dorado's and looks like a needlefish more than a striped marlin :) Cheers!

15. grander007

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Why are you guys spending your time making stupid comments on a hard working charter boat? One reason they catch alot of smaller fish is because of customers that whine and complain when they get skunked, which comes w/ the territory when targeting big game.

16. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    It's funny that you should mention bridling those smaller tunas and dragging them around. Some of them were actually live baited around the buoy. When the small tunas are around, marlin and nice mahis can be around as well. That scenario didn't pan out on that day, but those small shibis taste great when they're seasoned up and seared on high heat in the frying pan. We hope to see you on Maui again soon.

LongRigger,
    Thanks for the support.

Thanks, we didn't want to let you guys on Oahu have all the fun.

Thanks for the compliment. It's always appreciated.

Ono Noah is actually doing very well. He just had his first child, a beautiful little girl.

Grander,
    It's easy to see that you know what fishing in Hawaii is all about. Unfortunately, not everyone can catch a 500 lb. marlin every day. Some people see the highlight reels and get the wrong impression. Big gaming is all about the thrill of the hunt, and when you do get to see a huge fish, everything is worth it. Thanks for your support.

Our luck appears to be turning around. We caught a 47 lb. bull mahi two days ago. That's a nice mahi by any standards. As for the marlin, we released two stripers today. Our next report should be up soon.

Jonny

17. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Those look like fine catches to me!

Perhaps the pros from Oregon and California should "walk the talk" and fly over here to show everyone how it's done. No cheatin' boys, don't show up here during the summer months. You need to prove you can catch big fish consistently during the month of February.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  18. opakalips

opakalips Newbie

Name:
    Joey
    hows black rock been any action out there??

19. LongRigger

LongRigger Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    50 ft Custom Sportfisher
    Alot of big billfish off newport beach huh?
    haha what a joke...

20. YANK N CRANK #2

YANK N CRANK #2 Proud Wyoming Resident

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
    Nice to see somebody catching something!