rossman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 21, 2004
Bahia Asuncion
Name
Ross Zoerhof
Boat
Yak and tin boat
Here in Asuncion we are closing in on the end of the yellowtail season. They have been going absent during February for the last 4 or 5 years and then reappear in the July and August time frame. My last 4 sessions on the water I landed 1, 2, 1, and 0 yellows. Because the water is still warm and clean, I wasn't ready to declare it as over for the season, but it's getting close. Today's session was a little different. I managed to land 10 nice fat yellowtail and lost 3 more in a few hours. Very encouraging.

A lot of life out there today. Several pods of grey whales cruised through my fishing grounds. At one point a thick colony of red crabs popped up on the surface, surrounding my boat. It was like I was in a scene from "The Birds" with all of the sea birds attacking the crabs.

I'm expecting a little wind in the next couple days and I think my pressure washer is going to earn it's keep.
IMG_20210203_115628.jpg

IMG_20210203_125835.jpg

IMG_20210203_125846.jpg

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
Always nice to see a tin boater wacke'n the jacks. Suppose its time to find some ground fish till the pelagic's return., halibut better eating anyways! Best of health and thanks for the report.

Last edited:
Reactions: denis

rossman

May 21, 2004
Bahia Asuncion
Name
Ross Zoerhof
Boat
Yak and tin boat
U going to be ok not catching yellows every day ?
Plenty of other options here. Calico fishing isn't talked about much but it is the best I've ever experienced. Huge Sheephead available. Bocaccio, Coppers and Chuckleheads are like vermin on any on the deeper structure. I've been marking some 300 to 400 ft spots over the last year and maybe I can be the first person I know of to catch a Red or a Ling South of Cedros. Locals are pretty tight lipped about their grouper spots but I've been given a few. Might try that this year. Got some feelers out for some larger squid and might try deep dropping for Elvis, although that seems like a 2 person operation.