Feathers and guns guide service

Jeff92

May 27, 2014
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
warning!!! Do not use feathers and guns guide service. Owner is very unprofessional and does not stick to commitments. Had a trip with them to hunt snow geese one day and upon arrival the owner Louie had on deer hunting camo. Not a big deal but as a guide you should at least fit the part. When we arrived at the field at about 6 decoys weren't even put out like they were supposed to and the owner didn't even know how to operate his own layout blinds. So by time everything was set up it was past shooting opener. The owner also failed to bring anything to brush the blinds with and had is set up on the access rd sticking out like a sore thumb. There were not enough blinds broughy to accommodate 3 hunters so the owner layer in the dirt next to us. By this time it was raining out and the owner forgot to bring a waterproof jacket and the layout blind were full of dirt so they turned into mudpits. At around 8 the owner walked to his truck so grab something and failed to return for roughly 45 minutes then drove to us calling the the hunt off for that day. When we approached the owner for a partial refund since he called the hunt over 4 hrs short of what was talked about, he didn't have a backup plan, Unservicable gear, and unprofessional ism he lost his mind throwing his shotgun while screaming insults at us and calling us racial names. This is not a quality guide and is not worth the money please do yourself a favor and go with someone else.

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Who recommended them to you?
How long have they been around?
How many acres do they have access to?
How many hunters do they book on any given day or weekend?
They don't charge too much?
Did he talk about expectations? Possibilities pro/con?

Sorry you didn't have a good experience.

Upvote 0

Enfuego

Your favorite Realtor
Jun 3, 2004
Rancho San Diego
www.CalRealtySD.com
Name
Yusef
Boat
None
I talked to this guy about snow goose hunting. He wanted to layout on a Matt and pass shoot. He called that guiding and was serious on the phone. He was also half off and advertised on Craigslist.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Make yourself useful and delete thsis and the next post Kurt

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I talked to this guy about snow goose hunting. He wanted to layout on a Matt and pass shoot. He called that guiding and was serious on the phone. He was also half off and advertised on Craigslist.
    Is Matt a good caller?
    Does Matt have soft hands?

Reactions: stroky
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Jeff,

Not sure how good or bad this guide was but I can tell you I hate guides especially goose guides. At least all but one, the only snow goose guide I would pay would be Kenny Begley, make the drive up go Maxwell and hunt with the best snow goose guide in the state

Reactions: furniture 4 me
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I'm sorry that Stefan has obviously had some bad experiences with goose guides. I would never hire ANYONE for ANYTHING off of Craig's List, and as a general rule in life if you are hiring someone at half-price you are going to get a half-assed job.

I have not only field-hunted geese extensively for myself and my friends since the mid-60's (Tule Lake and Lower Klamath NWRs, a quarter of a million specks and snows and cacklers, and lead shot . . .) but I also used various professional guides over the decades. Shell Bloch at Tule Lake, Gary Burke in Corona and Rick Francis in Cibola for Honkers, Greg Maciel in Colusa for snow geese from a field, Blake Bunnell of Williams for snow geese from a pit. And I have a two-day field hunt scheduled for the middle of next January with James Stone of Elite Sportsmen up near the Sacramento Refuge. Send me a pm Jeff and I'll give you the details, you are welcome to join us. I don't book with someone unless I check them out carefully, but California has a whole bunch of very professional waterfowl guides who invest a lot of money into securing access to some amazing properties and providing proper layout blinds and a gazillion decoys. I haven't hunted with Kenny Begley yet, but I noted the good recommendations and he is now on the list for the future. Geese will go wherever they wish, but a good guide service puts a lot of the odds in the hunter's favor, and for someone like me who lives too far away to scout properly and no longer has the physical capacity to put out and take up the several hundred decoys that I used to have, it is the only way to stay in the game.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Oh Gary I have only hunted with, two guides, ducks at Tule in the 80s and a guide in Nebraska for snows.

Blake runs a good business as does Kenny. I don't know James Stone or Greg Maciel, maybe I'll meet them this year, my lease is between Sac and Colusa

I would strongly suggest to anyone who really wants to hunt geese go with a good guide, getting into on your own is pricey

Spent last weekend setting up our spread, 1200 decoys, half the decoys out another trailer to go, time for me to hire guide, what am I thinking

2015 Spread 2.jpg

2015 Spread 1.jpg

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    You guys are running a big spread this year Stefan. It's gonna be ugly up there. Poor geese aren't going to know what hit them. Post lots of pics. I'm going to make the drive up there a couple times this year. I booked the unguided blind at River valley outfitters for a couple days over christmas.

Another great guide service but good luck booking a hunt is Fishdog. The spec hunt i had with him was unbeliveable.

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    You guys are running a big spread this year Stefan. It's gonna be ugly up there. Poor geese aren't going to know what hit them. Post lots of pics. I'm going to make the drive up there a couple times this year. I booked the unguided blind at River valley outfitters for a couple days over christmas.

Another great guide service but good luck booking a hunt is Fishdog. The spec hunt i had with him was unbeliveable.

Yeh Jon we run all we own up there, the Sac Valley birds want big spreads and lots of noise, spread requires a few rearrangements over the season as the birds eat out the fields or as the green starts to pop up.

Yes I did forget about fish dog, Ben Williams! Ben is a very unique dude, I have known him for a few years, one thing I do know he has spec hunting down to a science and knows how to get it done. He blows a spec call like very few can He shoots them in close, if you want to shoot specs he should be at the top of the list

Upvote 0