fishingsurfing

Tuna Twin
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
Name
Andy
Boat
Tiderunner 195 "Tuna Twins"
Looking to buy a new reel for yoyo'ing or fishing the surface iron. Any recommendations? Most likely going to go with a Cousins rod because those are quality and a local company in HB.
Thanks in advance.

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Whats your budget? Lots of good choices out there

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Id spend an extra 50 and get a trinidad 20. Another good choice is a torium 20 and you can get one of those for 250ish.

dean factor

Mar 12, 2015
marina del rey
Name
dean factor
Boat
2018 Lindell 46 flybridge
avet jx 6/3 - 46" per crank so comes up really fast - 20 -lbs' of drag - catches big fish- casts insanely smooth - lever drag so can adjust for no backlash on casting, or can can upgrade to MC cast version - get in sliver so never see chips when if you drop it or whatever

bowrider3

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
none
If you want a great yo yo AND surface iron reel then I would go with a torium 20 hg or Diawa Saltist 40bg. My favorite yo yo reel is an avet jx but the spool is too heavy for surface iron and you need a star drag for surface iron so go with the torium or Saltist if you need just one multi-functional reel.

Reactions: mikelravy

ROSSOLY

Dec 7, 2014
Orange County
Name
Todd
Boat
N/A
If you want a great yo yo AND surface iron reel then I would go with a torium 20 hg or Diawa Saltist 40bg. My favorite yo yo reel is an avet jx but the spool is too heavy for surface iron and you need a star drag for surface iron so go with the torium or Saltist if you need just one multi-functional reel.
just trying to educate myself, why is a star drag preferred for surface irons? tia

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
Assuming your targeting yellowtail and tuna in the sub 80# range, I would go with an Avet JX/2. Bulletproof, for yo yo fishing.

Last edited:

bowrider3

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
none
just trying to educate myself, why is a star drag preferred for surface irons? tia
Surface iron fishing involves casting relatively light lures a long distance to be effective. Because of the way they are constructed lever drag reels generally have heavier spools and do not disengage in free spool the same way. Some lever drag reels will cast fairly well, especially with heavy lures like yo yo iron and wahoo bombs. They can also free spool bait well that is in the water. However, you will never get a lever drag reel that will cast a lighter lure or bait as well as a top quality star drag. Casting is not just about free spool but also about the momentum it takes to get the spool spinning. That's why if you look at the rods used by the top surface iron guys, it's all Trinidad's, toriums, saltists, Newell's, penn fathoms etc.

Reactions: mikelravy

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
If you get yoyr reels serviced, a Trinidad, or a torium with greased carbontex drags.

If you service your own, a JX

JTH

Oct 1, 2012
San Diego
Name
J
Boat
I'd get an avet JX for yoyo and a diawa saltist 35bg for surface iron. If I had to pick one for both jobs it would be a saltist 40bg. But with you budget you could get both of these and have two reels ready to go for their intended purpose.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Yo-yo and Surface Iron are two different reels ideally.

Star drag for surface Iron, 2-speed Lever Drag for yo-yo in a perfect world.

The one that would do both better than the other is a star drag.

Get one with stainless gears like Penn or Okuma. There is not a better star drag made than a Penn Torque 25N and would be a proud purchase. Best all around yo-yo, surface iron or bait reel you could find.

best

ps. Forget the Newell advice unless self-service and hunting parts on the internet is fun.

XBDEE

Dec 30, 2012
El Monte ca USA
Name
Dee
Boat
N/a
Trinidad or torque, best bet is to go into a shop and pair them up to the stick you're planning to get. Check the balance and the overall feel of the combo in your hands, then you can decide. Good luck!

dustyyoungblood

Asshole
Jun 1, 2015
Ladera Ranch
www.dustanbaker.com
Name
Dustan Baker
Boat
yours
I was just at a tackle shop asking the same as OP. They recommended an Okuma Cedros Star Drag Reel. I asked the shop employee "what are you using for surface irons?" he said an old Newell and he does not know what he will do if it ever breaks and that nothing casts better. So I went and found a NEWELL 229-5 and mounted it to my new COUSINS CJB 80M-CT (holy heck this stick looks amazing and if you ever get a chance to tour cousins go do it its rad). I tried casting with a little 3/8 oz in the alley at my house, but did not have much luck. Either the rod is to heavy or I need new bearings in my NEWELL, or I suck.

Reactions: skipjackrobert

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
I was just at a tackle shop asking the same as OP. They recommended an Okuma Cedros Star Drag Reel. I asked the shop employee "what are you using for surface irons?" he said an old Newell and he does not know what he will do if it ever breaks and that nothing casts better. So I went and found a NEWELL 229-5 and mounted it to my new COUSINS CJB 80M-CT (holy heck this stick looks amazing and if you ever get a chance to tour cousins go do it its rad). I tried casting with a little 3/8 oz in the alley at my house, but did not have much luck. Either the rod is to heavy or I need new bearings in my NEWELL, or I suck.
3/8oz is way too light. You need a tiny Bass baitcaster to move that well. Get a Tady 45 that you don't like, cut off the hook and head down to some local football field.

If the Newell has good free spool and you can't huck that a mile on your 8' jig stick its on you!

;)

If the Newell has bad free spool you need to crack it and get some oil in the bearings etc.

Reactions: dustyyoungblood

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
ps. Be sure you have a 30 or 40lb mono top shot on that Newell too...that will make controlling your casts much easier too.

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
May 7, 2011
Lakeside
Name
Sam
Boat
None
Love the Baja Special for yo yo and I like newells or saltist for surface.

NulodPBall

Aug 14, 2005
South Orange County
Name
Ray
Boat
FishCat
I have a Trinidad TN16 on my jig stick for surface iron and I've never come close to running out of line, even without spectra (20-30# fish). The TN16 actually feels a bit large and I'd downsize if I were to put enough energy into replacing it.

I borrowed a friend'sTN12 and TN16 for YT recently and never had an issue with line capacity for 20 pounders.

I had a Talica 10II for butterfly jigs (yoyo) but today, I moved it to a baitstick. Before the Talica I just used the TN16...I moved the Talica 'cause I haven't had much luck with butterfly jigs on pelagic fish (had better luck with the waxwings).