RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
Looking to get a bulk container of grease for reel maintenance. Hoping to find a single product that will work on all the internals (including drag washers) for various shimano reels.

We currently have:

Curado 300pg
Tranx 300pg
Tranx 300hg
Trinidad 12
Tranx 500pg
Tranx 500hg
Trinidad 16

The reels are taking a beating while kayak fishing and are requiring service 2-3 times a year. Full tear downs from water intrusion/grease contamination.

I have been using the little pucks of shimano drag grease, but they are really expensive for a small amount of grease.

IMG_20210513_185110144.jpg

Reactions: Tackleho619

Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
I use Lucas marine grease (same for trailer bearings lol) or Park Tool polylube. Works well for me, any kind that doesnt “melt” or tend to fling out. I dont feel any difference no matter what type of grease i use, even the heavier stuff, some guys only use the OEM stuff. Your preference, thats what it comes down to.

Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
I'm fine with something other than shimano. Will petroleum based greases cause damage to plastic or rubber parts?

Upvote 0

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
You have two recommendations for a tub of Cal's for drags and TS-301 for bearings. And I third those recs.
A light coat of grease to protect any metal.
I'm not sure anything will eliminate service when you are yakkin. And who wants to take a chance.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
You have two recommendations for a tub of Cal's for drags and TS-301 for bearings. And I third those recs.
A light coat of grease to protect any metal.
I'm not sure anything will eliminate service when you are yakkin. And who wants to take a chance.
Yep. Understood. I'm not looking to eliminate maintenance, just looking for a grease that I can buy in bulk.

I'll order some Cal's. I already have an oil that I like for the bearings.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
Damn Ryan it looks like that reel exploded talk about being meticulous with maintenance.
Unfortunately, if I did it monthly it still wouldn't be enough. The get SOAKED constantly in the kayak.
IMG_20210513_131411400.jpg

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
So I've been board fishing with the same Tranx 300 for the last few years where the reel gets submerged every time, and all I ever do is pop off both the left and right sideplates as well as the spool, spray everything down with a spray bottle or hose nozzle set on mist then let air dry in the sun. I'll do a full breakdown every 6 months or so (been over a year now though), but I really haven't seen much need to anything more as long as you go through this modified rinse process within a few hours of getting off the water (ideally as soon as you get home), so another option might just be saving yourself some time and money and just not regreasing them every time. I'm really meticulous with my reels and service all of mine myself (short of the Stellas, not opening that can of worms), so that's not coming from laziness, they are just actually pretty good at resisting corrosion and other deleterious effects as long as you get the salt out.

If you put grease where grease is supposed to go and oil where oil is supposed to go you should generally be fine as long as you degrease everything well before changing greases. Personally, I like the star drag grease (Ace 0) on anything that moves but doesn't spin freely, and the DG14 waterproofing grease on areas that water could get into on reels that aren't getting opened up routinely as that grease is really expensive. Also don't grease or touch the rubber gasket seals, you will pull that rough looking coating right off or foul it with grease, and it loses all its efficacy once you do that, and you don't want that. Those coatings are really good, and worth it to protect it.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Try Smoothdrag.com for the big tubs (1 lb) of cals grease.

Reactions: KXKH
    Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    not a direct answer to your q, but here's a thought...if there is any chance, put your reels away when launching and landing thru surf. i had a dry bag i put them in and stuffed in a hatch for bigger surft (translation - more than knee high). once out, keep them up in rocket launchers. you shouldn't be dunking or splashing them all the time. takes way less time/energy to store reel and retie a jig or hook, than taking reels apart.

Reactions: RWP
    Upvote 0