Favorite Long Range boats for 8-10 days or longer.

What's your favorite long range boat?

• Excel

Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Independence

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • Intrepid

Votes: 28 17.3%
  • Royal Polaris

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • RED ROOSTER III

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Other not on list

Votes: 41 25.3%

• Total voters

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
East Los Angeles near 60 & 710 frwys
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
Pontoon, float tube, kayak
I added a few boats I will consider. A buddy of mine suggested the Intrepid. He says it's the APEX of long range boats, his opinion. I like the Excel and the Royal Polaris, but those are the only two long range boats I have fished.

I'm not set in my ways where I have to fish on the Excel or Royal Polaris, I am open to any of the larger sportboats, lets keep them over 100' in length with wide sterns.

What makes that boat your favorite?
What boat boast the best gourmet food, drinks.
Comfort of the boat ride.
The best for fishing, although once you get into these bigger boats there is more than enough space.
Best crew, in the 1990's I thought it was the guys on the Royal Polaris.
Any other reasons why you might choose one boat over the other.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
Name
Benjamin R. S.
Boat
Who's kid is the cutest?…..which beer is the best?……blondes, brunettes, redheads?…….Chevy, Ford, Dodge?……. Seeker, Calstar, United Compsite…….lol

On your profile you have the Intrepid. There must be a reason why?

That's why I said I'm not set in one particular boat. Trying to get a feel why some would choose one over the other is all.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Same reason I like blonds, chevy's, regular Coors and Seekers…….personal preference……

Seriously for me the main is Kevin Osborn the skipper of the Intrepid….he IMO is just great all around person and a killer fisherman……and the boat is IMO the best riding boat in the fleet……been doing this Long Range thing for almost 20 years and I have fished the Intrepid exclusively 3 to 4 trips per year since it was put in the water 8 years ago. Must be a reason.

Upvote 0

Shooter

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
I've fished the Excel, Royal Star, Royal Polaris, Shogun, and the Intrepid. Of all I prefer the Intrepid, then the Excel. For a real run down of why, watch the movie on this forum......."Going Long." Have a good trip.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Pick one that you haven't rode on to add to your experience and then formulate an opinion. Try this multiple times over the next couple of years and you'll have a good feel on which boat best suits your needs moving forward. Don't forget about the Shogun, AA, Royal Star, Vagabond & SOA......

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I fish the American Angler for the total package, but of the five you listed, I would fish the Rooster again.
Of the five, I have fished three of them. And other than those listed, none are over 100'

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I would pick which trip fits your budget and schedule and go for it. All of them are great. I have fished on all of them including the ones you missed except the Indy and the Excel. And that is only because I haven't had the opportunity yet. I would fish all of them again. When I consider trips I look first at my schedule, second at the cost of the trip, and third the load of passengers the boat is taking...other considerations...who is chartering the trip....what time of year is it and thus what species will be available......most important above all though....what works for my and my families schedule.

Reactions: bob1825
Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I agree that you cannot really go wrong with any of the LR boats. I have fished the Royal Polaris, Intrepid, Vagabond and Shogun for LR trips, and I have done shorter 1.5 and 3 day trips on the Independence and Excel respectively. I have a 10 day on the Excel this September. So far, my favorite trip was my first 10 day which I did on the Royal Polaris. Not only did we catch a ton of fish, but Roy was the captain and really made the trip a blast. He has great energy and you could here him laughing and yelling "fresh one!" from the bow to the stern and everywhere in between!

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
    Whittier
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    Red Rooster 111
    I've been on the Indy and Intrepid. Between these two I would pick the Indy. I do want to do my next trip on the Excel or RP just to try another boat. This is dependent on my schedule and the boats.

Reactions: rickberg
    Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Really why can't I check all of them? The fact that they have been around in good times and bad should tell you something so why make people select only one? Plus you have missed A LOT of great boats that fish in that range IMO.

NoLDR over and out!!

Brad

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Don't limit yourself to the 100+ foot boats. 95 feet is pretty close, and the angler loads adjust accordingly. Most likely, whichever boat you choose will become your favorite. The comment that you should pick the trip that fits your schedule is good advice. Personally, I like the RR III and Intrepid because I enjoy fishing with Andy and Kevin. If Bruce Smith was still running long range I'd fish any boat he was on.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    All the boats in the fleet are good..... I have fished the Intrepid.... Excel.... American Angler...... Polaris Supreme and the Indy...... I always go back to the Intrepid because I really like Kevin as Capt...... but this year I have fished the Intrepid 5 times and the Excel just one trip.... I really like all the boats.... but I really like the BIG BOATS..... But I would fish on the Angler anytime..... there very fishy for a smaller boat.

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    Same reason I like blonds, chevy's, regular Coors and Seekers…….personal preference……

Seriously for me the main is Kevin Osborn the skipper of the Intrepid….he IMO is just great all around person and a killer fisherman……and the boat is IMO the best riding boat in the fleet……been doing this Long Range thing for almost 20 years and I have fished the Intrepid exclusively 3 to 4 trips per year since it was put in the water 8 years ago. Must be a reason.

I second all the reasons given by Fishy----an I'll add two more: the regulars on the Intrepid (you guys know who you are) are a lot more fun to fish with, and likewise the crew who are a reflection of Captain Kevin Osborne. I've fished on the RP, RR, and RS and have great fishing on all of them, but the comfort and atmosphere on the Intrepid are hands-down the best. After my first trip on the Intrepid I've fished it exclusively.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I've fished on every boat in the fleet, except the Indy, and I'll fish it the first time it meets my schedule. That's how I pick my boats to fish on, my schedule, then start looking.

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    My schedule is very flexible, the only time I would not be able to take time from work would be December.... I work for UPS, super busy that time of year and can't schedule vacation during that month. I have six weeks I could play with throughout the year. I want to do a fall trip to try and get into the wahoo. Thoses fish are crazy fast and fun to catch. Through in some yellowtail and dorado and I'm good to go. The tuna... I wish I could catch something over 100 lbs, but never seen anything over 50 lbs. I'm thinking the only sure way to catch the bigger tuna is on the trips of 14-17 days.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Benny, other than one of those long trips, best shot at a100+ lb tuna is to fish bluefin on multiple short trips targeting those big boys that pop up from time to time. Not sure you're going to find room on those 3 dayers on the bigger boats but it's worth a shot. My first triple digit was for sure a 120 lb bluefin on a 3 day. 21 seasons ago.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    My schedule is very flexible, the only time I would not be able to take time from work would be December.... I work for UPS, super busy that time of year and can't schedule vacation during that month. I have six weeks I could play with throughout the year. I want to do a fall trip to try and get into the wahoo. Thoses fish are crazy fast and fun to catch. Through in some yellowtail and dorado and I'm good to go. The tuna... I wish I could catch something over 100 lbs, but never seen anything over 50 lbs. I'm thinking the only sure way to catch the bigger tuna is on the trips of 14-17 days.

OK so jump on the January 9, 2016, West Coast 14 day limited load trip on the Intrepid….I think there are 2 openings….last year we had off the hook wahoo fishing, caught tuna to over 300#, had a wide open dorado bite and had a great time with a fantastic bunch of good people…..

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Benny, other than one of those long trips, best shot at a100+ lb tuna is to fish bluefin on multiple short trips targeting those big boys that pop up from time to time. Not sure you're going to find room on those 3 dayers on the bigger boats but it's worth a shot. My first triple digit was for sure a 120 lb bluefin on a 3 day. 21 seasons ago.

Steve he would have zero shots at wahoo maybe some dorado and a real loooooog shot at a 100# BFT on a 3 day trip……IMO his best bet is a 14 to 17 day trip to the lower zone. 21 years is a long time to wait….lol

Reactions: rodblder
    Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    OK so jump on the January 9, 2016, West Coast 14 day limited load trip on the Intrepid….I think there are 2 openings….last year we had off the hook wahoo fishing, caught tuna to over 300#, had a wide open dorado bite and had a great time with a fantastic bunch of good people…..

I wish it were so easy to just pull the trigger and send a check off to the Intrepid. My lady would be super mad. That amount of money was about what I spent on our family vacation to Maui last year, three of us for 7 days...lol

I would have to do some serious rump kissing and then take them somewhere really nice before I could even consider a big trip 14 day trip. I'm kind of pushing it with the 10 day trip... lol

The stars will align for me sooner or later, I will be on one of those cow trips, just not sure when just yet. For now I have to stick with the 10 day. but you never know...

Upvote 0

Benny70

Apr 28, 2007
    Name
    Benjamin R. S.
    Boat
    Here's a question as far as types of fish being targeted on the 14-17 day trips.
    Are the skippers just after big cows?
    Are the wahoo incidental catches due to the areas being fished and do the boats go after other species of fish?

From the looks of most trip reports it's mostly yellowfin tuna and a few wahoo in the mix. Is that the norm?

Upvote 0