Favorite feature of individual boats you ride...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Not one guy on my trip applied control of their baits and were not encouraged to linger on the upper deck, just go fish., they were all down below fly lining when it was their turn up, thus the problem. You and I seem to be the minority that would prefer the active responsibility part. Shouldn't anyone who is fishing the kite be required to actively fish and keep tabs on their baitfish despite their age or infirmaries. Maybe make exceptions for guys over 80.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Guys paying huge money in a service industry should be made comfortable in every way possible...
    Having someone else fish for me and taking a handoff is not something I would ever do because to me it eliminates the best part of fishing but if other guys are comfortable with it and wish to be serviced in this way then why should I even care..
    Gotta say that if I was crew I also would love to be on kite duty ...getting all the thrill from kite fishing then letting someone else do the work... happily do that all day..

3. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Correctly and actively fishing the kite IMO is just another part and skill set of Long Range giant tuna fishing.....I enjoy it and love working the double trouble, swimming a 24" squid and splashing the big baits....Capt Osborn in fact devoted a 1/2 hour how to correctly to fish the kite with different baits and how to rig for it....

I keep track of the rotation and reel in my bait a number or two before my turn go inside use the bathroom if necessary drink some fluids then go upstairs get my kite rig and check to see that i have the proper setup for what is happening check my drags and wait for my turn.....

IMO It is personal issue if people don't fish the kite on the Intrepid....

Eagle123, $norkle, hilltop and 2 others like this.
  4. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    A few years back I watched Ralph Mikkelsen fish the kite from the main deck for a day and half in lumpy weather out at HB . I was in awe of this 80+ year old man doing such a long stretch in kite jail under cruddy conditions. A real inspiration in many ways. He did get bit and landed a~120 lb. fish.

On my last trip we only got to #5 on the kite rotation. If I quit fishing when I was one or two numbers away from my rotation I would have spent 4 days sitting doing nothing. When fishing is very scratchy and the kite is not even producing a fish per day I don't have a problem with folks continuing to fly line while their number is up on the kite. I kind of look at kite fish as a bonus. Unless you rig, bait and use your own rod and prep and set the kite and line you really cannot claim to have done that much.

When you can work to keep a lively bait on the surface and watch the takedown it is very fun indeed. We are all out to enjoy our time fishing and if someone does not want to rot in kite jail I am fine with them continuing to fish while their number is up. Now if someone actually wants to the manage their kite rod and the crew is discouraging it in any way I don't think that is right at all.

hot tuna, raw66, Fishybuzz and 2 others like this.
  5. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I think that varies from boat to boat. My trip on the Rooster the only tuna caught on the kite was indeed the largest fish and took the jackpot. Not right in my opinion.

On the boat I ride now, kite fish don't qualify for the jackpot unless everyone got a shot at a fish.

Cubeye, SlideRight, Shon and 3 others like this.
  6. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    I'm, new guy and was way looking foreword to fishing the kite with my Seeker broom handle and 70VS full of 200#. On the Big X last Nov my first ever rotation hooked up on the way out and as my Deck Hand Mentor watched with a grin my tow truck drug the huge 50#er in so quick when he call for a gaff he said "careful, this one is commin' in hot! hahaha

Second rotation, wind and current 90 o out, at the forward, port end of the deck house I had 6/8 boils in an hour (flying fish bait) Frank left me to fend for myself with Justin keeping an eye on me from above. I learned flying fish and double trouble looking right into the afternoon sun. Skipper said "well Soup You are sure learning, but time to pull the hook." I worked my way aft winding in, with a double trouble just coming out of the water at the rail a Dorado jumped and I was "on" Neck tie bull was no match for my "stealth" kite rig and I don't remember him even making it back into the water!

I told both Frank and Justin I had more fun and learned more in that hour than all my 4 years of BD reading!

Got a bit off track, sorry, but I had to tell someone hahaha I am ready for the Hurricane in 5 weeks, Tractor is waxed, oiled and waiting.

7. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Maybe, but big engines draw in lots of air, at least when they are underway, so it isn't always the toasty place you might imagine. On my favorite boat, there is a washer/dryer in the crew quarters, and a second one in one of the staterooms (guess which one).

hagridfish and Fattony like this.
  8. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    Don't put your boots in the dryer it fucks up the bearings

skrilla likes this.
  9. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    I have two favorite features: 1) slammer size on the EXCEL, you make bait once and you are done, many times just at the bait receiver, and 2) the steel displacement hull of the Shogun, when the weather turns bad the Shogun is an amazing ride.

10. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    I think all the boats serve salads at dinner. And on longer trips for lunch as well. Breakfast is not a salad meal.

Warlord likes this.
  11. RichG

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Talk to the chef, early and they will try to accommodate. In fact when you make your reservation inform the office staff and remind them a few days before departure. Also warn you roommate. And yes they generally serve large portion. I usually get half at dinner. Come out and enjoy yourself.

Warlord, stephen campbell and Steve K like this.
  12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Slim, you too funny! Any Long Range trip you take will be fun. Chefs or cooks are able to accommodate most dietary needs. One of our favorite deckhands on the Angler gets a Rocco Salad every night with dinner. It’s just bigger than usual. If you’re seriously interested in this, after you pick a time frame and trip length, just call the office and talk over your diet desires.

RichG likes this.
  13. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Then there are the hours and sometimes days standing at the rail soaking a bait waiting to get bit.....IMO it is just like kite jail....on the Intrepid they will switch out people every hour and a half if you want out....

Just like sex...read all you want but you learn more in 15 minutes of actual participation that hours of reading and viewing...:D

14. Pinche Whetto

Pinche Whetto Newbie

Name:
    Mike Myers
    Boat:
    Anyone's who'll take me.
    Old Glory tri-tip, and hot showers one can actually fit in.

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    What Rich said. Order CP, Child’s Portion. :) Mike is the chef on the Rooster and he told me he can put a pound a day on anybody. One of their 15 day trips, a guy gained, you guessed it, 15 lbs.

Warlord and RichG like this.
  16. RichG

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    BTW. Lori S. From Turners usually sponsors a female trip. It’s on the Seacher. I think trip 7, 6 days. She’s at one of the San Diego stores, but I don’t know which one. I fished with her once and she’s very “fishy.” And informative.

https://www.searchersportfishing.com/schedule/

17. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Just eat the man food. Then you dont have to worry about a midnight snacker

Women get a private room. Stoked

I like to eat a double salad in a big bowl or take the lunch/dinner for the day and have the chef turn it into a giant salad, if it makes sense. Without being overly needy

18. RichG

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    Tony, as to roommates it all depends on the operation, trip and number off passengers. If you are the only female, most boats give you a room to yourself, however I have heard some will ask you to share with a male, I must assume it would be someone you know or can trust. If you are on that female trip, then I’d assume you would share with another female. On my 5 day there is a female from Florida that comes out and usually is in a smaller room by herself, except one year she shared with Lori. On my longer trip the is either one or two females and they usually are by themselves but there is a much lighter load on the boat to allow that.

You might start a new thread and as those question. I know Donna is on here and I think a coupe of other female.

But generally, you’d be welcome to join most trips. There are a few that would prefer men only. Keep asking.

19. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I just broke her off....trash fish.....lol

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    pgangler, Steve K and nicodemus like this.
  20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    Uh

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.