Favorite feature of individual boats you ride...

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    No asshats on the boat and great crew that are respectful. The stable charters that have repeat customers and are hard to get on are the best.

hilltop, RichG, Anglewood and 3 others like this.
  2. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Rocket launchers on Excel (and Indy), why doesn't every boat have these??? I second the smooth ride on the intrepid, but all of the big boats are good for that. Fly/fly or at least ride/fly trips on some boats. Getting beat up for 3-4 days is never fun, although the wahoo bite at the stones on the return trip can make up for it, but so many boats don't stop there on the way home, whhhhyyyyy?

vegasandre likes this.
  3. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    If you have boots that are wet inside or you need to dry clothes. Upper back deck port corner. The RP has a warm blower. At least it used to

4. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I have ridden only 5 LR boats, but I love the Rooster with it's great captain Andy and his crew, and of course the great food from Chef Mike (Boomer).

5. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Favorite feature? The captain and owner of the Polaris Supreme, Tommy Scott Rothery. And his lovely wife and office Manager Susan.
    We fish with 18 so it’s as comfy as it gets.
    But honestly, when the chips are down and things do happen out on that big deep ocean, he’s the guy I want taking care of us. I trust him with my life and the lives of my dearest friends and loved ones.
    And arguably one of the best fishing guides in the fleet too. Solid as they come

darthfoster, swami 805 and Cubeye like this.
  6. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    That's what engine rooms are for..

7. bullyo

bullyo Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    None

SHH, that's my secret spot on the Excel!

hot tuna and Yellowtail Dan like this.
  8. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    I'm just a passenger. Never had enough needed to dry for the number one place to dry, the engine room. I'm not allowed down there nor want to ask. So blower it is

Seeing the side scan light up and hearing the pops of real targets. That I still can't distinguish well with the ear.

Then seeing the school come under the boat on the up and down machine. Above 15 fathoms

Heard the pop at the grove at clip. A pioneer said thats a single cow. A few minutes after the anchor dropped the target showed again on the machines. A tad later a chunk 200lber for a angler. Chunk line had just started

9. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    The pile of boots gets pretty high in that corner

10. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I’ll tell you what a friend feels about it. He really believes the tackle table inside the salon of the Rooster helps a great deal in building relationships between anglers and crew.

pgangler, RichG, Shon and 2 others like this.
  11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Cmon Donna admit it ...what you really like about the Rooster is you usually have a private bathroom....lol

12. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    No such thing, used by everyone, sign doesn't mean a thing. The boat just has the greatest crew and food.

pgangler and Dale Fero like this.
  13. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    All the boats IMO have great crews and Captains and all catch fish.....

But I like the Intrepid because it is always a limited load trip... max is 26... IMO best riding boat...as stated before no hidden costs and huge live bait capacity, fishing the kite from the upper deck and full sized showers and shitters............but the best feature the smooth ride....

14. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    My first LR trip was on the Rooster 8 years ago. I was very excited to fish with Andy. Unfortunately he was not running the trip I was on. I think I missed out on my experience. RSW was a brown smelly mess by the time we got back to the dock. Good crew and we caught fish but I think it would have been a very different experience if Andy had been in the wheel house.

I did like watching the crew setup tackle and fill reels right there in the salon area. Pretty cool for a new guy to see different reels, line and rigging up close.

Cubeye likes this.
  15. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Fishing the kite from the upper deck needs more clarification for some to decide for themselves if this is a valuable attribute on a LRB. My take on it is you can go about your business and continue fishing while the crew monitors your kite gear on the upper deck. I can see where this could lead to some consternation if customers kite rod gets hit and he/she is down below fly lining on a long soak and is absolved from monitoring his gear the entire duration despite the unpleasantness of kite jail. I don't get it, so you hand off your gear to who, should your kite rod get bit? This to me is wrong, the kite has its rewards but you need to put in your time and monitor your own gear not be absolved of the responsibility and be allowed to fish when it is your turn at bat.

16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Bummer on the RSW. I know for a fact it’s now top shelf, they installed some bin boards to cut down on the slosh and the quality is excellent. I was talking with Sarah when the Saraspes still owned Five Star and she was very impressed with the improvement in quality. Said she was going to call Andy and compliment him on it.

FishRock likes this.
  17. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    What you are getting is a HAND-OFF. Sad part is that it is counted with jackpot fish.

Mike Nall and raw66 like this.
  18. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    You beat me to it. The open front section of galley is comfortable and well lit from the bow facing windows.

I also love the side exit door on the galley which many dont feature.

Bow bait tank has been there forever. Before others added. Always love that.

Captain Keating. A genuinely amazing owner operator. Our last trip we had one day of bad fishing or something to do with permit issues where he second guessed a decision and even though it was the right call he credited any returners to this years trip with a free days credit. U dont hear of that often.

Shon likes this.
  19. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Getting treated as a child is a take away so the boats can blaze thru their rotations when they perceive their customers are bad candidates for kite jail. They do the time for you, aint right. Your removing the tap out factor when the boat fish's for you. Guys quit on the kite thus advancing the rotation. Your messing with the whole dynamic when you let the boat have that much power as to how you deploy your kite gear when it is your opportunity thus avoiding the "handoff" scenario that your highly encouraged to roll with or appear like the odd man out by saying "no thank you" I got this.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

On the Intrepid I fish and control my baits on the kite from the upper deck...the huge advantage fishing from the upper deck is you can actually see your baits and not be standing behind everyone at the rail you see the bite not listen to the people at the rail to "wind wind wind you are bit"....it is your choice if you want to actively fish the kite or not.....it is not a hand off if you are controlling your baits and wind down on the fish and hook it.....and actually seeing a giant boil on your kite bait is amazing.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.